Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Joe K

Default Additional Fiberglass Fender discussion

Ok, so now we've established the fact that MANY of us use fiberglass fenders, what has been your experience with these?

Specifically: when I was in college so many years ago, one of the upperclassmen had a 1930 Coupe that he would park on the upper parade ground. Being a Model A afficionado even then, I took note of his car - which was little more than barn found (I don't think he removed the chickens from the body on removal from the barn although they might have had a problem to exit through what used to be the roof.)

He had fiberglass fenders I noted. I could tell because the fenders had split at the fender braces and the feather edge of the glass mat could be seen. This crack/split apparently from vibration of the engine.

In selecting fenders for my AA truck project (which got aborted when my job situation changed) I decided to go top drawer (or so I thought) and buy "Westcott" brand fenders from one of the major suppliers of Model A parts. This was to be a "working truck" and so I had no issue with fiberglass on originality basis. There were other fiberglass fenders available that were a bit cheaper, but who can tell of quality from a woodcut pix in a catalog? So I bit the bullet.

Not looking for endorsement or critique of Westcott, but rather what experience others have had with a similar cracking issue.

OBTW, I still have those plastic fenders, even though I sold the AA truck chassis (double wheel rears 1930 vintage, 26K original miles - it was originally used as a truck/transport for a welder machine.) I would plan to use the fenders on a "daily driver/funcar."

Thanks for any comments,
Joe K
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Additional Fiberglass Fender discussion

Did you use the westcott fenders?? Did they split?? Westcott been around a L O N G time, posts here and on the EV8 board occasionally. Never heard anything bad about his product(s).
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Joe K

Still have those fenders. Not used. I want to give them a glasscoat on the underside to cover up the fuzz.

Joe K
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Keith True

There were a lot of fenders made years ago,and a lot of them deserved the bad rap glass got back then.I do remember Wescott being pretty good,but their fenders then and their fenders now are two different things.I think their new ones are much better.I haven't looked in a while,but I think I saw they were up near $500.for a welled fender.I just bought a pair from a fellow that makes them over the line in Maine for $400.for the pair.So far everybody is happy with them.A lot of the old fenders got a bad rap because people would buy them,throw them in the corner of the garage,and leave them until they got around to using them.They would get stacked up while still green,not cured,and take on all kinds of different shapes.Lean a couple of tires against a green fender and in a couple of years it will have a 4 inch curve in it.Also,glass fenders have to be fitted as closely as steel.They should be able to have all the bolts dropped into place while just laying on the car.If you have to use bolts to pull things into place then either the bracketry is out of whack,or the fender itself is.If you have to pull the fender in with a bolt to the bracket like Joe mentioned it will crack just like he said.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Joe K

Except for the fuzz on the underside (which I didn't expect) I was pretty impressed with the Westcotts. They even have an oval outline for each of the bolt holes, much as the metal Ford fenders have as a slot-hole, to indicate where the bolt holes should be drilled.

I had planned to drill a single round hole rather than the slot in the interests of fit-up.

And they sound like steel fenders when you knock on them with your knuckles, even in the raw.

Joe K
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Mike Peters

1928-29 fiberglass front fenders. One welled, one plain. $300./pair No cracks. Just paint and install. Such a deal. Pennies on a dollar for nice fiberglass fronts. [email protected]
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
BashawT

Question: The "fuzz on the underside of the fenders, is that just the texture from them being fiberglass? What tricks to people have to trick others into believing they are steel?
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

My '28 Coupe came with four fiberglas fenders, maker / vintage unknown, but I would bet they are not more than 10 years old, and probably came from either Snyders r Bratton's, as that's where most of the receipts that came with my car are from.

I've put nearly 10,000 miles on the car, and no fender cracks so far. From 10 feet away, I doubt anyone could tell they were glass.

I will leave them on the car until I find decent original steels.

Now, if I needed to buy new fenders, I would probably go for steel over glass.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Joe K

Quote:
"fuzz on the underside of the fenders, is that just the texture from them being fiberglass?
I think it comes from the "caul" that is used to make the fenders. The cauls (assuming they're like I have seen for fiberglass boats) are finished and result in a surface that is "smooth," this being the exterior top surface of the fender that you see. Meanwhile the underside of the fender as you look at it is the built up layers of glass and plastic. The last layer of these they leave sort of "as found" or however it comes out.

After all, most people look at the car for what they see immediately in front of them. When one looks underneath, he's obviously looking for something more than superficial appearance.

And gee, why would we ever do that?

In my case there is no reason why possibly a thick coat of undercoat or paint might hide the fiberous nature of the surface, or better, a layer of gelcoat followed by a couple of coats of paint like I might use on an actual fender. I might not take the time rubbing out as I do on the tops, but at least the difference will not be readily apparent.

Joe K
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
BashawT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
I think it comes from the "caul" that is used to make the fenders. The cauls (assuming they're like I have seen for fiberglass boats) are finished and result in a surface that is "smooth," this being the exterior top surface of the fender that you see. Meanwhile the underside of the fender as you look at it is the built up layers of glass and plastic. The last layer of these they leave sort of "as found" or however it comes out.

After all, most people look at the car for what they see immediately in front of them. When one looks underneath, he's obviously looking for something more than superficial appearance.

And gee, why would we ever do that?

In my case there is no reason why possibly a thick coat of undercoat or paint might hide the fiberous nature of the surface, or better, a layer of gelcoat followed by a couple of coats of paint like I might use on an actual fender. I might not take the time rubbing out as I do on the tops, but at least the difference will not be readily apparent.

Joe K
Thanks for that information. I am restoring my grandfathers car and all the fenders are beat up pretty bad. I know everything is "fixable" but I am wanting to finish the car while Grandpa is still around and also for my future wedding. I have been thinking about going glass for now until I have more funds to repair/replace the steel ones.

The glass fenders tend to fit better than the repro steel ones correct? Or do they need some modifying as well?
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Joe K

Quote:
The glass fenders tend to fit better than the repro steel ones correct? Or do they need some modifying as well?
I can't answer that as I have not put my Westcotts on yet, but as I say, they obviously had in mind a certain place for the bolts to be drilled. They also sit perfectly flat and equal side by side. As I say, "made to cauls."

Were I you I would find someone like those who have already made themselves known who are converting to steel.

Also check Ebay. My Westcott fronts were bought from the parts dude. My Westcott Rears (pair) were bought on Ebay Buy it Now for $70 plus shipping, $100 delivered. They had never been on a car either.

Joe K
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
Special Coupe Frank

My unknown glass fenders do not fit "perfectly", ( as in all bolt-holes lining-up perfectly and bolts "dropping right-in"), and I have had to mildly lean on them to get certain bolts in, but then my car is unrestored, the frame is sagged at the rear motor mounts, and goodness knows how much it's out of alignment elsewhere.

That said, it's run nearly 10,000 fairly aggressive miles under my ownership, with nary a crack.

They certainly look presentable enough and are "good enough until the real thing comes along".

Others will have to comment as to who makes / sells the "best" glass fenders.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote