Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
mach0415

Default Breathed new life into old iron today...WOOT WOOT!!!

So, I just wanted to thank all of you pros, who have selflessly, meticulously and tirelessly provided information and written stickys, started blogs, and started websites for Model A enthusiasts. It will be a year in November that TD bought a 1929 Murray Town Sedan from a V8er, CJO13 from Watertown, South Dakota. When it was dropped off by the shipper, my anticipation and imagination was further stoked by the impending father-son project that begged my obsessive attention. I LOVE old cars.

It has been less than a year, and we now have a totally restored rolling chassis, restored/rebuilt drive line and rebuilt, matching #s engine, and the next phase awaits us.

The most exciting part is that today she came to life, as I started it after a fresh rebuild. 45+ years of fallow iron barked to life, and we both took our first breaths of air and gasoline fumes together. VERY COOL and VERY EXCITED to start phase 2.

My dad, TD, is in NY picking grapes for his next batch of homemade vino, so I camera phoned with sound so he would not be left out. Of course, I had dad's permission to start it without him.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful." -- By society, who is still arguing over who said it.

Last edited by mach0415; 09-23-2012 at 06:25 AM.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
green30coupe

Default Re: Breathed new life into old iron today...WOOT WOOT!!!

Mark,
Make that an AHOOGA AHOOGA instead of a WOOT WOOT LOL
Thanks for sharing a landmark moment.

Ed
green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Vern

I still remember firing off the roadster for the first time in '96. It smoked up the garage a bit, but it was a great afternoon. Didn't have upholstery, borrowed a seat bottom from a friends pickup and we drove it around the block. Didn't even have a horn!
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Tom in SW VA

Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us!!! I know it was a great day! I remember firing up my Fordor, 40 years after I had purchased it. Yes, I kept it 40 years before I was able financially to restore it.
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
mach0415

Posting an update...

So Dad got back and we started the engine together. He had a smile on his face that a sock in the mouth couldn't get rid of . So, since I was the first one to start it electrically, he had to be the first to crank start it. I honestly did not think it would start, being so tight and new. BUT, it did! Then, of course, I just had to try it...hot engine, of course. It was the first time I have ever crank started an engine! 1/2 a crank and she was running! Pretty cool to be the recipients of the fruit of our labor. (I know that the old timers that built this thing would prolly be laughing at me and my level of patheticism, as if this were some new thing in their day, right? Either way, its truly fun stuff.) Its such a privilege to be able to work on an 83 year old car.

AHOOOOGA!

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful." -- By society, who is still arguing over who said it.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote