Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #21
STEVE O

Default Re: VIN on '32 commercial frame

Makes a mess when people put aftermarket frames under their cars, and use the original serial number and then sells the frame to someone else that replaces their rusted out frame then they sell that car. WOW now the next person has a car with the same serial number of someone else. What a mess for that poor person that ended up with that car! Here in Virginia lots of cars got titled by engine numbers (the cars that used different numbers than serial numbers) and of course engines got changed so you now have a car with a engine number from another car and a serial number that has never been titled!
Steve
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE O View Post
Makes a mess when people put aftermarket frames under their cars, and use the original serial number and then sells the frame to someone else that replaces their rusted out frame then they sell that car. WOW now the next person has a car with the same serial number of someone else. What a mess for that poor person that ended up with that car! Here in Virginia lots of cars got titled by engine numbers (the cars that used different numbers than serial numbers) and of course engines got changed so you now have a car with a engine number from another car and a serial number that has never been titled!
Steve
Steve

The guy that re-stamped an original serial number in that aftermarket frame is guilty of a Federal crime, and needs to be making gravel out of rocks in prison. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #23
flatrod

Two cars one title, this is what happen to me. I bought a pile of 32 parts, original frame and NY registration, (NY does not have titles back then). Bought it from a guy that said he got it in Canada. I've had it for 18 years, titled to me for 15 years. I go to sell it a few weeks ago and find out there is a guy in Maryland using that vin number. His title is the newest so mind, I'm being told is no good. I call Maryland DMV, it came from Ohio, so call Ohio DMV, it came from NY! Of course they won't tell me any names or other info. I have a frame that I can not find a number on, so it looks like I am going to lose out. I don't know what the other guy has. I know they are both coupe's.
All I can say is check your frame and title number carefully, I didn't and now will have to settle for a state issued vin.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
rotorwrench

I don't think anyone should go to jail or be fined for stamping numbers on a frame they own that is known to be legitimately owned by them but they have no title or no visible number. Motor vehicle theft is a problem but you know how things go. The criminal passes the stuff on to unsuspecting buyers and things get muddled then some one else ends up in trouble that didn't need to be.

A person can take a state issued number or they can take a chance at picking a number out of their hat and getting caught up in a legal problem. I would take the state issued number any day but I can understand why folk stamp some other number on. They don't want a state issued number. Not all states will do this but there are some that do.

States only recently started confirming out of state numbers. Before the rule change, there could be several cars in different states that had the same numbers. Those days are rapidly coming to an end with more and more databases out there. If a person is going to choose numbers and hope the car that originally had them was melted down during the scrap drives for the war effort, better check with their DMVs and make damn sure that number isn't already issued somewhere else.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #25
ro

Well, after some good discussion here, I have figured it out. I actually found the original VIN farther back under the cowl. When I found the stamped numbers in the area I expected the originals to be I didn't consider that the original stamp might be misplaced a little. Lesson learned. And . . . the four digit stamp does not correlate with the original VIN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200618_183147.jpg (31.7 KB, 28 views)
ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #26
DavidG

The A in the prefix was eliminated with engine number 5062387. When you state that your frame number does not correlate with the "original VIN", I beg to differ. The original engine number, VIN, serial number, call it what you will, of that chassis is that long number stamped on the frame whether it corresponds to whatever paper work you have or not. It is the paperwork that is not original if it shows anything but AB-500XXX2.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #27
ro

I should have been more clear. What doesn't correlate is the four digit number that I posted when I started the thread. That number bears no resemblance to the actual VIN I found. The "3186" remains a mystery, but I dont care as much now that I know it is not associated with the VIN.
ro is offline   Reply With Quote