Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #41
History

Default Re: What do you carry with you?

Let's hope I never "NEED" it. Why do you feel you might "NEED" a 410? I'm really curious how bad things are that you need that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post

I'm really curious how bad things are that you need that. A 410 make sense for rabid raccoons but wtf?
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #42
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=Blue-Truck-Nut;

Anybody carry road flares? Or reflectors?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I have this in the truck. In case I feel uneasy driving at night, which I rarely do. Stick it on my tailgate. It is very bright, very noticeable. Very strong magnets, but I have also added a tether.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190511_121153.jpg (40.8 KB, 23 views)
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #43
Y-Blockhead

One tool I always carry in my tool box is a KNIPEX Raptor Pliers. They take the place of ⅜" up to 1¼" wrenches. Good back up for regular wrenches.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-28-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #44
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
Let's hope I never "NEED" it. Why do you feel you might "NEED" a 410? I'm really curious how bad things are that you need that.
In my country, we've been blessed that the 2009 GFC was over for about 5 years. No longer had rough people forming road blocks demanding 'gifts'.
Although that might make a return after this virus....

In most cases, what i'd love one for is weasels & stoats, they can't hear me coming apparently, see the little critter crossing the road with feather in their mouth & think "Gee i wish i was allowed that thing right now".

Then there's guys who have snake problems & i'm thinking to myself "How do you guys deal to a snake with that?". Must have better hand eye co-ordination than i do.

And i forgot something i carry in the car often now. Bike tire patches!

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #45
Bob-A

I haven't carried my Model1928 Thompson (full auto/legal) with me yet..... But "back in the day", depending on your "business", it might have been
a necessary part of the tool kit.

Bob-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (63.0 KB, 32 views)
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #46
History

Haha, super nice! I've never shot one and I'd bet it's a BLAST.

I'd imagine with the weight theres not too much recoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I haven't carried my Model1928 Thompson (full auto/legal) with me yet..... But "back in the day", depending on your "business", it might have been

Bob-A
Old 04-30-2020, 03:52 AM   #47
dumb person

Quote:

Bob-A
That would look the part if the back was full of crates of bottles.
There was this one time, i saw some people in a tudor with full 1920s frilly hats and feather scarf things, and the passenger has a broomstick with a movie reel film canister under it & some other bits of carved wood that looks a lot like that. Was pretty lol. They were smiling.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #48
Bob-A

Quote:
Haha, super nice! I've never shot one and I'd bet it's a BLAST.

I'd imagine with the weight theres not too much recoil?

History,

It is a blast to shoot, but can be expensive unless you do your own reloading.

Recoil is not bad, but the barrel climbing while shooting full auto can get out of hand. Short bursts are recommended.

Bob-A

PS: I lived in Avery County, NC, back in the 70's. God's Country!
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #49
Jordan

Around town, not a whole lot. A sack of tools always stays in the car as well as a jack & lug wrench.

On long trips, I take one of everything. Water pump, carb, distributor, axle keys, fuel pump, gasket set, wire & crimpers/connectors, etc.

I already have these items sitting on the shelf at home, so why not pack them if in the trunk or under the seat for protection if something does go wrong. I have rarely needed any of the big items, but it has been nice to just do a quick carb switch instead of having to dissect the one on the car on the side of the road when crummy gas clogs it up.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #50
Blue-Truck-Nut

I actually tried carrying a carb, but didn't have much success. First I overhauled one, put it on the car and ran it. Satisfied, I took it off and drained it, let it dry, wrapped it in a towel with some moisture removing packets, and put it under the seat. When I went to use it on another car, it was gummed up, and the gasket leaked, had to take it apart and rinse it out. ( All with non alchohol gas)

So, rebuilt it later, left it dry. Same packaging. Put it on yet another car we were messing with, and the seat wouldn't seal. My assumption after disassembly was that the seat rattling back and forth dry somehow damaged it. Float setting was correct, just wouldn't seal.

Now, I carry a kit. And a disassembled carb on the running boards at Walmart really confuses folks, so that's fun.

Any suggestions for carrying a spare carb to avoid these problems? As the idea does make good sense.

PS: the carb kit box would also nicely store a AAA card ....

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #51
30 Closed Cab PU

Store the carb in the up right position, so the float valve is not seated and bouncing around?

Remove the float valve and store separately, install when needed, it is only one bolt to split the carb?
Old 05-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #52
Blue-Truck-Nut

I'm remembering I couldn't fit it upright under the seat, good thought. May have to explore other storage options and try again. ( I'm in a 31 Sport Coupe,)

And storing the needle separate brings me back to taking a carb apart beside the road, was my thinking on why I just carry a kit. Although having a fresh clean setup to just drop the needle in and install is very appealing.

Also, from our previous conversation on the led safety light, I have a couple but they didn't work well for me on the A. Not enough flat real estate. Works on Dad's PU though. For my car I put some reflective DOT tape on magnetic sign material, too stick on the fenders.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #53
katy

Quote:
So, rebuilt it later, left it dry. Same packaging. Put it on yet another car we were messing with, and the seat wouldn't seal. My assumption after disassembly was that the seat rattling back and forth dry somehow damaged it. Float setting was correct, just wouldn't seal.
Try using a needle w/a viton tip.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #54
30 Closed Cab PU

@Blue-Truck-Nut

Am not familiar with storage space on Coupes. No room behind the seat, or in the trunk/rumble seat?

For certain spares I like to keep fresh (like a spare carb) I use zip lock bags with the slider zipper, and desiccant bags. Then put that in a bubble pack bag that seals. The place I worked for shipped spare electronics to our techs, so at the time the bubble bags and desiccant was easily available to me.

I make sure the carb is dry, run it out of gas, drain it, remove it, split the carb halves, remove the float valve, turn it every which way , and with low pressure blow it out, apart let it sit in the sun for a while, blow it out again, and then reassemble it. Yes, am a little anal at times.

If using desiccant bags, was told to keep them in a cool low humidly environment so they would be dry/little moisture absorbed. And is best if the parts/bags are also in the same low humidity environment when packing the part.

Was talking to one of a fellow club member who told me he uses baking soda and very small thin paper bags, uses a needle to poke holes in the bag, to make his own desiccant bags. He tested by putting metal and his homemade bags in a Ziploc bag. Then stuck it in the fridge, and then in the bathroom when showering - no moisture in the bag at any time.

3rd Brake light - the one I used, even though I did not use them, came with suction cups for use on the interior of the rear window. I think there was a couple of short standoffs and long screws with nuts - this would require drilling holes in your A. I like mine on the tailgate of my truck - I think it is more noticeable, Leds seem to be brighter when seeing them straight on than viewing at an angle, and are more at eyelevel of people following you.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #55
Blue-Truck-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Try using a needle w/a viton tip.
Can't believe I didn't think of that. Simple. I love it. Thank you!

Old 05-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #56
Blue-Truck-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
@Blue-Truck-Nut

Am not familiar with storage space on Coupes. No room behind the seat, or in the trunk/rumble seat?

For certain spares I like to keep fresh (like a spare carb) I use zip lock bags with the slider zipper, and desiccant bags. Then put that in a bubble pack bag that seals. The place I worked for shipped spare electronics to our techs, so at the time the bubble bags and desiccant was easily available to me.

I make sure the carb is dry, run it out of gas, drain it, remove it, split the carb halves, remove the float valve, turn it every which way , and with low pressure blow it out, apart let it sit in the sun for a while, blow it out again, and then reassemble it. Yes, am a little anal at times.

If using desiccant bags, was told to keep them in a cool low humidly environment so they would be dry/little moisture absorbed. And is best if the parts/bags are also in the same low humidity environment when packing the part.

Was talking to one of a fellow club member who told me he uses baking soda and very small thin paper bags, uses a needle to poke holes in the bag, to make his own desiccant bags. He tested by putting metal and his homemade bags in a Ziploc bag. Then stuck it in the fridge, and then in the bathroom when showering - no moisture in the bag at any time.

3rd Brake light - the one I used, even though I did not use them, came with suction cups for use on the interior of the rear window. I think there was a couple of short standoffs and long screws with nuts - this would require drilling holes in your A. I like mine on the tailgate of my truck - I think it is more noticeable, Leds seem to be brighter when seeing them straight on than viewing at an angle, and are more at eyelevel of people following you.
Thanks! All good advice. I carry stuff in the floor of the rumble seat, it's just a pain to reach at times. But it works.

The sport coupe has a cloth top with a rear window with a zipper. The window itself makes a pretty good reflector, and moves a lot, so it catches the eye. I'll ponder on all that some more.

Hopefully I can get the car out in May or June

Old 05-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #57
History

Oh man you were close to me then, of course I was stuck on a dairy farm 24/7 unless in school.

I did fire an mp44 on full auto and it would also climb. By the third shot I would be off target every time. It was neat and also very expensive as the ammo isn't as common. Also got to shoot an mg-34 and a jap type99 that was converted to fire 7.62x39, both were so much fun. Did this at a gathering in Alabama of mainly militaria collectors who brought their weapons for others to enjoy, it was a fun couple of days. Ive never fired an mg-42 and imagine with its rate of fire it was devastating to us troops who faced it. My great uncle was killed in Germany during WW2 by either an mg34 or 42 while trying to over come 6 machine gun pill boxes.
Quote:
History,

It is a blast to shoot, but can be expensive unless you do your own reloading.

Recoil is not bad, but the barrel climbing while shooting full auto can get out of hand. Short bursts are recommended.

Bob-A

PS: I lived in Avery County, NC, back in the 70's. God's Country!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #58
Bill Pursel

Quote:
Definitely a sig p365, am curious also on what other than the sig is a necessity.
Smith M/P 9mm in mine lol
Bill Pursel is offline   Reply With Quote