Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
ryanheacox

Default Shock Rebuilding?

I found out that none of the shocks on my Fordor were working as they should, I pulled one off the car and opened it up. Seems to me that there is quite a bit of pitting on the vanes, in the chambers and on the top plate but the shafts were tight. There was also a bunch of grit in the chambers when I opened them up. The check balls seem to work correctly. My uncle seemed to think my grandfather had the shocks rebuilt when he got the car but I'm doubtful.

If I were to put in all new seals and use a heavy oil, maybe like the 600W, do you guys think they would function any better? I might try it either way since the seal kit is only around $20 but I would like your input. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5601.jpg (44.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5598.jpg (37.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5599.jpg (46.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5600.jpg (32.5 KB, 109 views)
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Shock Rebuilding?

My guess is no hope as they are.

I have shocks that are very good and very very good. I am guessing a few thou wear. They get no where near the action they should have oil I believe close to original viscosity. I still have not got thicker oils to test them.

So that means they shock must be very tight and not pitted to have any hope of decent operation.

What do I mean by decent operation. The service Bulletins outline the KRW tools and the time it should take for a lever to move. I believe that if you check 'good' shocks most would miserably fail the KRW test. On the other hand, they do seem to help the car quite a bit.

You will have to talk to a person who rebuilds the shocks.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
ryanheacox

Yeah, that was my guess. No hope. I wish I could swing the grand to buy a set of Stipe shocks but it's not in the cards right now.

I'll try very thick oil and see how it goes but I'm not expecting any miracles.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Yeah, that was my guess. No hope. I wish I could swing the grand to buy a set of Stipe shocks but it's not in the cards right now.

I'll try very thick oil and see how it goes but I'm not expecting any miracles.
Put your order in now to Stipe, and save your pennies and save your dimes. By the time they run another batch you'll be ready to buy.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
leo

I have to ask, are we implying here that any if not most shocks that are rebuildable don't pass muster rebuilt compared to new shocks? All cores are going to have some wear...
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Yes the vast majority of shocks are not easily rebuilt.

I do not know what some of these guys do to rebuild the shock. They are really an amazing manufacturing feat. Large vanes precision made, but that is the problem. A little wear, not much mind you, seems to make them not work so good. Thicker oil is an answer, but you have to find some good shocks first. You can go through a lot of bad shocks to find a few with hope.

Evaluating shocks at the flea market starts with visual. Is the shaft straight out from the housing, is the hole round? If that shaft is not perfect then the guts are bad. Only buy the shock if the cover and/or the valve look good for other shocks. So far my experience has been if there is rust inside when you take the fill plug out there was rust in the vane area.

Keep in mind being rusty outside is not a limiting factor. I have a nasty rusty one that is ok inside. Go figure.

The above is from my very limited experience of about 30 shocks I have taken apart. I have not fully put together shocks I consider ready for a car. I experimented with a mock up of the KRW tool and found the shocks have to be much harder to move then I previous expected. I need to return to my shock pile and get some heavier oil and make up a proper copy of the KRW tool to properly understand it all.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
leo

Hey Kevin, thanks for the input. I have a set of original rebuilt shocks on my coupe from Robert Paul. I have no clue as to their action only that they are better than no shocks at all. I also don't know what type of oil was put in them by the rebuilder or if they would benefit from a heavier oil. I guess lacking the KRW tool I don't have any point of reference. At the very least they do not leak....
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

i submitted 12 and only 2 were suitable. The others were a. Nicks a pound to make Toyotas! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
denis4x4

Apple Hydraulics offers rebuilt A shocks. According to their web page, they're saying 5% of the cores that they receive are unusable.

https://www.applehydraulicsonline.co...ur-ford-shocks
Old 09-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Apple Hydraulics offers rebuilt A shocks. According to their web page, they're saying 5% of the cores that they receive are unusable.

https://www.applehydraulicsonline.co...ur-ford-shocks
Possibly the different rebuilders have different standards. I personally have never heard of Apple. What is their cost and what is their guarantee ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote