Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2022, 11:15 PM   #21
Pech33

Default Re: Pictures of the 39 Frame

I don't know everything about VIN numbers, but like I said in a previous post, this VIN is: star 4867563 star. Van Pelt has no such listing on his sheet of production numbers and VIN's that start with "48", the V8's all start with "18" thru 1942. There is a 39 Convertible Sedan for sale on the net that has a VIN that starts with 48.

This picture proves it. Anomaly, maybe, but there is no explanation for this and no one has come forward with any explanation. I believe everyone uses Van Pelt's sheet, but these VIN's are missing. Correct me if I am wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5157.jpg (37.6 KB, 166 views)
Pech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:30 PM   #22
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Get yourself a copy of the EFV8 1938/39 Manual.
Good informative reading.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:47 AM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pech33 View Post

This picture proves it. Anomaly, maybe, but there is no explanation for this and no one has come forward with any explanation. I believe everyone uses Van Pelt's sheet, but these VIN's are missing. Correct me if I am wrong.

You seem to be spring-loaded to the 'assertive' position when it comes to a subject where you're the one asking questions. I guess it is possible that you did not understand any of what I was previously trying to explain about early Ford SERIAL numbers. I will try once again! It is not a difficult numbering system to understand.

As your frame picture shows below, the number stamped is "4867563". That number in itself stamped on an old Ford frame is all that is needed to emphatically state that that car was indeed a V8-85 equipped 1939 Ford. As I previously stated, ALL V8-equipped Fords (except for V8-60s) had serial numbers starting with "☆18-001☆" in 1932. In other words, it was numerically the 1st V8 Ford built. The "18" signifies that the engine was the standard V8. The SERIAL Numbering continued sequentially through February 1942 production when consumer Ford production was halted for WWII production efforts. So, it can be seen very easily using VanPelt's charts that the "4,867,563th" V8 Ford was produced some 206,562 standard V8-engined cars after the 1939 production year began.

Now looking at your frame number stamped between the two ☆- ☆ is leading you to believe that your SERIAL Number is somehow different than those beginning with the normal "☆18-". Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that those numbers that you show on your frame are NOT on the FRONT of the chassis, but rather at the mid point on the left frame rail about where the driver seat is located, or possibly on the LEFT kick-up on left rail at rear of chassis above axle location. Those two locations NORMALLY had the 7-digit PARTIAL SERIAL Number stamped between the two ☆-☆, and WITHOUT the "18-". The FULL SERIAL number "☆18-4867563☆" would ONLY have appeared on the LEFT FRONT frame rail in the area of the front crossmember/steering box.

So, PLEASE TELL US where on your left frame rail (front, middle, rear) is that stamped number located? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 03-30-2022 at 08:34 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:30 AM   #24
Ideucev8

Coopman has it correct. The front location is the only one of the 3 locations that has the 18- prefix stamped in front of the serial number..

Pech33 stated in his other thread about this frame that the front number had been ground off.

Ford Started stamping the frames like this on the 32s

Phil.

Last edited by Ideucev8; 03-29-2022 at 05:16 AM.
Ideucev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:17 AM   #25
AnthonyG

Compliments to u DD, your like the Early Ford Encyclopedia! Thx For the great helpful info from you several times on FB

Last edited by AnthonyG; 03-29-2022 at 12:53 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #26
Mart

I had read before that the 18 only appeared at the front location.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:10 AM   #27
Terry,OH

I do not see body mounts on the sides of the frame. Either they were removed or commercial chassis?
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:43 AM   #28
Pech33

Well, I wasn't looking for a spanking this early in the morning, but I can take it. The entire VIN episode for this frame lies in the fact that at 2:47 am this morning you hit the nail on the head. "The FULL SERIAL number "Star18-4867563Star" would ONLY have appeared on the LEFT FRONT frame rail. No where in any previous post or on Van Pelt's pages does it say the "18" is only stamped on the front location. I UNDERSTAND NOW! Did I miss that somewhere?

That was the first place we looked and wire brushed from the front of the frame back to the master cylinder.

The VIN picture I had posted was the one stamped at the center location.

Thanks for the schooling on the VIN's, I would think that there are others on this forum who also did not know that the "18" is only on the front stamping. Mart apparently had read that before, but none the less, THANK YOU.

As you can see in this picture if you can blow it up, the drivers side frame rail has no rivet heads at the crossmember. Someone, sometime has ground them off and has welded both sides of the crossmember to the frame. My guess, I could be wrong, is that they did away with the serial number and didn't even know it.

The frame does have the body mounts, they don't show in the pictures very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5162-1.jpg (49.8 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Pech33; 03-29-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:35 AM   #29
Mart

Another thing I read is that you can never make a definitive statement re stampings. As they were stamped by humans in multiple plants there can often be variances.

The question is, between that frame and the old frame will you have what you need?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #30
Pech33

Yes, between the two frames and a couple of repair parts, I will have enough to have one "good frame". The issue, regardless of what I end up paying for it, if I buy it, is to transport it 1500 miles. That's the killer. It's all about the Benjamins!

It is a "roller" and I don't need the front axle or the wishbone rearend setup. I suppose I could take those off and just ship the frame, but it is still 1500 miles.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:25 PM   #31
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pech33 View Post
As you can see in this picture if you can blow it up, the drivers side frame rail has no rivet heads at the crossmember.
Blowed-Up Pic!

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #32
Zeke3

A friend hauled my chassis home with a pickup truck and a load extender, but it was less than 100 miles away. The bare chassis is 13 feet long, a little over 48 inches wide where the body mounts are and weighs about 250 lbs. 1500 miles is a long way to haul it and the X member in that chassis needs a lot of TLC. Good luck with your decision.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:22 AM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Compliments to u DD, your like the Early Ford Encyclopedia! Thx For the great helpful info from you several times on FB

That is MUCH-appreciated, Tony! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #34
Pech33

Ok, I passed on the 39 frame, we never even talked $. I talked to several transporters who wouldn’t touch it. They like to drive vehicles on and off, shuffle, reload, yadda yadda! So I have a contact in Oregon who says he has 50-75 1936-40 Fords sitting in his field. I can’t imagine. He has some medical issues going on but told me to give him a month or so and he’ll go out with his tractor and lift up the 40’s and see how the frames are. Once again, I can’t imagine that many old Fords in one spot. I asked about rust/rot and he said that he didn’t think that would be an issue. If I get to go see his cars, I will post pictures! I can’t wait.