Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
bosticjb

Default coil hook up

I was told today that the dist wire going into the dist to supply power to the points should be hooked to the + side of the coil,, I have a 12v system is this correct or have I been told wrong ?
bosticjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: coil hook up

The breaker or ground control breaker would generally be connected to the + side of the coil with a 6-volt positive ground system. I use a Nu-Rex polarity tester to insure polarity after coil hook up.

Model A cars that still have the Electro-Lock ignition pop-out switch have a terminal that connects to the coil positive side. The negative side is connected directly to 6-volt power.

Replacement type switches have to be wired to the points in the distributor or the switch can be connected on the power side instead.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
bruceincam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosticjb View Post
I was told today that the dist wire going into the dist to supply power to the points should be hooked to the + side of the coil,, I have a 12v system is this correct or have I been told wrong ?
Your question is to the correct coil polarity for a !2V (I assume neg ground/frame) system. For a 12V system the red wire (the one that goes to the points) should be hooked to the negative coil terminal. The black wire is hooked to the positive coil terminal.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
eagle

The distributer side of the coil should be ground. Look at your battery, is the + side ground? If so then + side of coil to distributer. If - side of battery is ground, then - side of coil to distributer.