Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #21
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Fuel filters and why did it let me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
Maybe if a smear of soothing like rtv to give a rubbery coat could help it seal.
NO...NO...do not try to use any type of gasket sealer even if it allegedly is ethanol fuel resistant. They all dissolve, become dislodged and may plug something up.
DON'T DO IT !
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #22
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
FYI.
I looked in the big red '55/'57 T-Bird Restoration Manual put out by CTCI hoping to find some guidance but if it's in there I missed it.
I've got one of those T-bird gas filters I was gonna install after my cheap inline clear plastic throwaway filter gives out.
The only thing I can find is on page 110 of the '56 Ford Car shop manual they have a little paragraph about it and apparently the glass bowl to housing gasket and the filter were the only serviceable parts originally. It does not mention a spring or anything else.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #23
bobioknight

Thanks for crossing your fingers for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I've got one of those T-bird gas filters I was gonna install after my cheap inline clear plastic throwaway filter gives out.
The only thing I can find is on page 110 of the '56 Ford Car shop manual they have a little paragraph about it and apparently the glass bowl to housing gasket and the filter were the only serviceable parts originally. It does not mention a spring or anything else.
Your right, no sealant necessary, no spring necessary. The rubber gasket presses the filter up against the top of the filter, holding it in place with plenty of even pressure. If you install wrong by putting the gasket on first, then you will not seal the gasket at all, eventually the filter could (will) vibrate loose.

So slide the rubber gasket over the filter, you will see as you tighten the glass bowl, your filter element will press up against the top of the filter housing.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote