Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
Kenjt

Unhappy leg room in roadster

I have a 31 deluxe roadster. I'm about 6' 1" and always have a problem getting into my car. If I put the top is up it would be completely impossible for me to get in. Is there any way seat back can be adjusted? I use to own a 4 door phaeton and never had a problem getting in, even with the top up.
Kenjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
ed thibodeau

Default Re: leg room in roadster

In my pickup I took some of the padding out of seat back and the spring making the
back thinner and gained couple of inches. That might work in your roadster.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:05 PM   #3
Conaway2

I have a ‘31 Deluxe Roadster and am 6’ tall. I get in my car with no problem by stepping into the car from the floor, move my right leg into the car and slide my rear onto the seat. Then I move my left leg into the car - this is the trickiest part for me. I never use the running board to enter the car.
Good luck !

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:14 PM   #4
Synchro909

I'm 6' in the old talk and have no trouble getting into any of my As using the same technique as Conway describes, only I put my left leg in first. (and shake it all about!)
Old 01-14-2023, 05:31 PM   #5
Kenjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed thibodeau View Post
In my pickup I took some of the padding out of seat back and the spring making the back thinner and gained couple of inches. That might work in your roadster.

How was the comfort level after this?
Kenjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:23 PM   #6
cederholm

Interesting. I’m 6’1” on the hefty side and get in and out of my 30 coupe okay. It isn’t pretty, but I fit. The hot rodders often remote the package tray and mount the seat farther back but I don’t know if you have a package tray and I’m not sure how moving the seat back would help entry.
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:42 PM   #7
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
I have a ‘31 Deluxe Roadster and am 6’ tall. I get in my car with no problem by stepping into the car from the floor, move my right leg into the car and slide my rear onto the seat. Then I move my left leg into the car - this is the trickiest part for me. I never use the running board to enter the car.
Good luck !

Jim
I do the same, works for me!!

A Roadster Pickup,,, now that is a different animal completely
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:04 PM   #8
ed thibodeau

The comfort level is about the same. A 1" foam rubber pad is used and modern foam
is much better than the old cotten pad and spring.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:17 PM   #9
CA Victoria

Yes.
The width of the upper package tray can be decreased & the seat back will go back with it. On my 30, the way the lower part of the frame was attached I was able to move the back bottom back also. By moving the seat back I was able to gain more leg room. This helped on entry exit (see post #3) as well as dropping my knees to a more comfortable position.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:41 PM   #10
mcgarrett

I'm 6' 3" and noticed that same problem when I first got my roadster. I finally figured out that when the top is up, the best way for me to enter is to put my right leg inside first while at the same time duck my head to clear the top and then slide right in. Once behind the wheel I'm quite comfortable and leg room seems fine for me. I never put my feet on the running boards either getting in or getting out. More to the point of your question, I don't see a package tray behind the seat and not sure you could gain any extra leg room trying to modify things there. Others may have another approach.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:25 PM   #11
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I'm 6' in the old talk and have no trouble getting into any of my As using the same technique as Conway describes, only I put my left leg in first. (and shake it all about!)
I forgot to mention the last part. 😂

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:50 AM   #12
Brokenvette

Smile Re: leg room in roadster

My butt goes in first . Then I slide to the passenger side. Feet then come in and I slide back under the wheel. I am 6'2 and old and stiff but this works.
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:34 AM   #13
wuga

I too am 6' and getting in and out of my roadster pickup is a chore. To determine if the seat was part of the problem, I installed a seat from a school bus which was much slimmer in all ways. It helped, but the biggest impediment was the riser box. Once I got my right leg and my butt in, I had to use contortions to get my left foot between the door frame and the box. I altered the left front corner of the box and it helped immensely. I am going to remove the box completely and build a smaller one and also rebuild the seats thinner. These trucks and roadsters were built for people 5' 6" with size 8 feet.
Warren

DSC05059.jpg
wuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:07 PM   #14
Jerry in Shasta

I cut about

off the front corner pf the sear base. cut it at 45o to the front edge.. JB
Old 01-15-2023, 06:16 PM   #15
Marshall V. Daut

My 1928 Phaeton with windwings and the top up is about as cramped as a '28-29 roadster pickup would be, especially the narrow doorway. Even at 5'10" and of average weight (so far!), it can be a challenge for me getting in and out. I find the best way is to do a reverse bail out - the head goes in first, right hand on the seat for support, followed by the right leg and then once seated, swivel and swing the left leg through the doorway. To exit, I "bail out" head first, followed by the left foot on the running board. The right leg follows naturally. I have tried other methods of entry and egress, but this one works best for me.
By the way - It's FAR easier for me to enter and leave my '31 Deluxe Roadster than the Phaeton.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:59 AM   #16
Robert/Texas

I'm 88 years old and own an early '28 open cab pickup. I'm 5' 9" and a bit overweight so it's really hard for me to get in and out of the vehicle and to drive it so I only drive it on little used back country roads. What I would add to this discussion is to avoid using the steering wheel for entering or exiting your car as to not damage the fitting which is soldered to the gas tank.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:44 PM   #17
ed thibodeau

Comfort level is fine. You dont need 4 in. for comfort.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:28 AM   #18
ETAModel

Mom said my grandpa had to back into the model T and A. He was over 6'. I still put my butt on the seat first, then pivot my legs in. Try it. It may help, & cost nothing.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:07 PM   #19
Bcontheroad

I'm 6'2" 235.
When shopping for my A, I test drove a roadster and a cabriolet. THEY WERE DIFFERENT! Impossible to squeeze my size 13 foot in the door of the roadster and twist it around the clutch pedal. The cabriolet is easier. Each style is different.
Bcontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:12 PM   #20
351cmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
Good luck !

Jim
I do the same. I'm 6'1" and it works for me
351cmach is offline   Reply With Quote