Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #1
denny03830

Default Battery cables - 00 guage

There have been numerous discussions on this topic, so I want to add my 2 cents worth. My 26-roadster pickup would barely turn over with a 4-year-old 6-volt battery. It has a new starter and a new starter switch. I finally checked out the battery cables and they were 2-gauge copper wire. I made new cables out of 00-gauge copper, both positive and ground. I ran two grounds from the battery, one to the engine block and one to the frame and the positive from the battery to the starter switch and starter switch to starter. The difference is amazing. You would think I put in a 12-volt battery. I know that 00-gauge copper welding cable is expensive, but it is worth the cost if you want to keep your T operating on a 6-volt battery.
denny03830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
JoeBauer

Default Re: Battery cables - 00 guage

There is a good chance that your old cables had corrosion on the inside of the terminals where it contacts the wire. The cable will read good with a standard ohmeter, but there is resistance to a large draw.

Having said that, I prefer 00 cable, and I put my own ends on which are full of solder. And I run a separate grounding wire to a starter bolt.

You probably know that you can purchase a 50' length of welding cable and terminals to make your own of proper length. The key is to solder the terminals, don't just compress them like factory terminals on standard battery cables.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
Kajtek1

You did several things at the same time, so I wonder is your original problem was cable size, or poor grounding.
My T turns over on cable who looks original just fine.
You are not going to beat up a design proved for 100 years?
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
JoeBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
My T turns over on cable who looks original just fine.
A lot of it has to do with climate. In a relatively dry area like Vegas corrosion should not be too much of a problem. I am in Central Va where we have a lot of humidity. It is not just T cables that have a problem with corrosion, all vehicles, lawn mowers, etc. can have a poor connection due to corrosion in a few years.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
Kajtek1

I bought my T from Oklahoma this year, so it did not spend its 99 years in dry climate.
When I think some of the body parts have been replaced over the years, the car has only slight corrosion on underbody, so I assumed it was garage kept.
I spend big part of my life in 4 seasons and experienced 1st hand what some salt on the road can do in 2 years.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
39portlander

Hey thanks for posting Denny, I Have access to old 00 welding wire and will give that a try.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote