Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
bill44

Unhappy Tubes

I am on my fourth tube since the first of the year. Two were from Tiwan and one from India. They all failed at the seams. Two were in the area where the valved is attached. I got the first two from Coker's when I bought new tires, and the other two from Mac's. I have rim liners and the wheels are powder coated, so no hazzards there. Anyone else have similar problems? Mac's tell me they have had no complaints; so will not give a refund. One tube failed before I even installed the tire on the car. Anyone know where I can get American made tubes?
bill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
mot

Default Re: Tubes

i dont think you can buy american tubes
ive had the same problem
they are a safety hazard
best find some old US made ones even if they are used
they are much better
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

What did Coker Tire say ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
1Tudoor

I use this stuff for the rim side of tubes as well as tire bead when installing .
I'm sure you are aware of the necessity to align the stem perpendicular to the rim before adding pressure.
I also spray the side walls of four cars for winter storage to ward off dry rot .
A little bit of the spray goes a long way so one can covers several applications .
Last yr I put new off shore tubes in the front of a T bucket roadster w/ no problem --just lucky I guess ?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08897-Silic...silicone+spray
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
CarlG

I had a "new" tube split at the seam with the vehicle sitting in the garage. Probably had less than 1,500 miles on it. The seam wasn't even close to the valve stem. The mate to that one is still holding air, but I'm not holding my breath either.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Buy them from brattons or snyders... They have them made to their specs overseas... They are good many here have used them...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tudoor View Post
I use this stuff for the rim side of tubes as well as tire bead when installing .
I'm sure you are aware of the necessity to align the stem perpendicular to the rim before adding pressure.
I also spray the side walls of four cars for winter storage to ward off dry rot .
A little bit of the spray goes a long way so one can covers several applications .

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08897-Silic...silicone+spray
Amazon won't ship aerosols to Alaska. (Nothing against Amazon as most places won't either). Have to find it locally or do without.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Flathead

X2 what Mitch said.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
rscardina

Bratton's has tubes that are made in the US.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

[QUOTE=rscardina;1289192]Bratton's has tubes that are made in the US.[/QUOTE

Are you sure about that??
Old 05-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #11
Chuck Sea/Tac

Tubes from Brattons or Synders, and I believe Berts sells the goods ones as well.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscardina View Post
I believe they are manufactured according to Brattons specifications but I am quite sure they are not made in the United States. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
Patrick L.

I too would agree with buying them at Brattons or Snyders or another good quality vendor.

Some folks apparently have had good luck with motorcycle tubes/
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #14
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscardina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Are you sure about that??
Both Bratton's and Snyder's catalogs state that their tubes are 100% new rubber, but make no mention of "Made in USA". If they were, logic would only tell me that they would advertise it.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 05-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
ursus

When mounting new tires and tubes, resist the urge to discard those 20 year old domestically produced Riverside or Firestone tubes, even if they have more patches than an Army sergeant. The new tubes sourced from some Third World locale might prove to be less reliable.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #16
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
i dont think you can buy american tubes
ive had the same problem
they are a safety hazard
best find some old US made ones even if they are used
they are much better
Try Brattons.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #17
eagle

I bought mine from Macs a couple years ago. No problems whatsoever. Also bought some for my T about 5 years ago, they were fine too. Lots of people have trouble with tubes. Put a little air in them before you install them, keeps them positioned easier when installing.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #18
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I bought mine from Macs a couple years ago. No problems whatsoever. Also bought some for my T about 5 years ago, they were fine too. Lots of people have trouble with tubes. Put a little air in them before you install them, keeps them positioned easier when installing.
Also have 5 tubes from macs, and going on my third year no air loss.

Did my own install and was very careful doing so.

Fred
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Buy them from brattons or snyders... They have them made to their specs overseas... They are good many here have used them...
YES YES YES, those are made from 100% rubber, no recycled what ever in the tube.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #20
rocket1

There are no Model A tubes made in the U.S.now! I'm running 40 year old U.S. made tubes,never had a problem.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #21
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Forget the USA..that is over, Buy all your tubes now from Brattons or Snyders, and erase MACS of the Model a List totally., You will be happy, and make sure you use rim liners and your rims are clean of any debris or roughness..
2021 Oshkosh National Meet Chief Judge
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #22
DougVieyra

Has anyone specifically ASKED either Snyder's or Bratton's IF their inner-tubes are made in USA, or overseas ?

Seems to be little question that the quality is there, but some question as to where the tubes are actually made.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Has anyone specifically ASKED either Snyder's or Bratton's IF their inner-tubes are made in USA, or overseas ?

Seems to be little question that the quality is there, but some question as to where the tubes are actually made.
Bridgestone Americas Tube Business (BATB), a division of Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, LLC, is based in Russellville, Arkansas. Since 1964, BATB has been committed to manufacturing quality synthetic and natural rubber inner tubes for both on and off the highway usage. We offer the most comprehensive product line in the industry ranging from Forestry tubes to Lawn and Garden tubes. In addition to inner tubes, BATB produces bladder stock for other Bridgestone plants to use in the production of tires. Today, BATB is the only inner tube manufacturer in the U.S. and Canada.

Here is their catalog;

http://firestonetubes.com/uploads/catalog_2011.pdf (I don't see anything 4.5")

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-09-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #24
updraught

^^^ The last four pages on safety and tube tips are worth reading.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:00 AM   #25
DougVieyra

Winchester Repeating Arms Company have their headquarters and corporate offices in the U.S. They are 'An American Company'. "Selling the finest American products."

However, much (if not most) of their fire arms products are made in Japan.

So it is with this understanding of how wording is phrased that leads me to continue looking for specific and definitive - concrete evidence - that today's 'rubber' inner-tubes are actually MADE IN AMERICA - As in the old days, when AKRON, OHIO meant GoodYear Rubber, etc.

There is of course the MADE IN AMERICA label that has fine print indicating that the material was from XYZ & EBM, with components from EYC, assembled in ERT - all under the umbrella of 'Corporate Offices' in the USA.

"Based in", and "manufacturer" leaves room for some strong doubt as to exactly WHERE the inner-tubes are actually made. So I still wonder where the manufacturing plant is located that makes Bratton's/Snyder's inner-tubes.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:28 AM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Winchester Repeating Arms Company have their headquarters and corporate offices in the U.S. They are 'An American Company'. "Selling the finest American products."

So it is with this understanding of how wording is phrased that leads me to continue looking for specific and definitive - concrete evidence - that today's 'rubber' inner-tubes are actually MADE IN AMERICA - As in the old days, when AKRON, OHIO meant GoodYear Rubber, etc.

There is of course the MADE IN AMERICA label that has fine print indicating that the material was from XYZ & EBM, with components from EYC, assembled in ERT - all under the umbrella of 'Corporate Offices' in the USA.

"Based in", and "manufacturer" leaves room for some strong doubt as to exactly WHERE the inner-tubes are actually made. So I still wonder where the manufacturing plant is located that makes Bratton's/Snyder's inner-tubes.
Given your definition of "Made in America" above, Bridgestone Americas Tube Business, cannot "make" any natural rubber tubes, as described in their catalog, in the US because there are no rubber plantations in the US. So even in the old days NO rubber inner tubes were made in the US.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:11 AM   #27
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill44 View Post
I am on my fourth tube since the first of the year. Two were from Tiwan and one from India. They all failed at the seams. Two were in the area where the valved is attached. I got the first two from Coker's when I bought new tires, and the other two from Mac's. I have rim liners and the wheels are powder coated, so no hazzards there. Anyone else have similar problems? Mac's tell me they have had no complaints; so will not give a refund. One tube failed before I even installed the tire on the car. Anyone know where I can get American made tubes?

Buy them from Brattons, I have not had a failure in the past 10 years except for a nail here and there but not a tube failure
Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #28
Dollar Bill

Purchased one of the good inner tubes from Snyder's last year. There are three markings on the tube: T-K, 500/550-18/19, and Made in EEC.

Not being familiar with EEC I Googled it. Wikipedia indicates it stands for European Economic Community which means the tube came from either; Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain or the UK.

Never did decipher the T-K.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

I would trust tubes and many other products from Europe, but have yet to see any quality rubber products come from China or nearby countries.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #30
rocket1

A friend of mine had tube problems and called Brattons,they said the tubes were foreign made to their specifications
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #31
noboD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
Purchased one of the good inner tubes from Snyder's last year. There are three markings on the tube: T-K, 500/550-18/19, and Made in EEC.

Not being familiar with EEC I Googled it. Wikipedia indicates it stands for European Economic Community which means the tube came from either; Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain or the UK.

Never did decipher the T-K.
A few years ago I bought six tubes for a non Ford antique car. All were marked EEC. Four were junk. The supplier insisted I pinched them installing them even though one blow up just putting air in it outside the tire. The supplier gave me 4 new ones and two of those were junk. The supplier is the largest antique tire Co. in the US. The tubes tore like an old newspaper.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #32
DougVieyra

Thank you DOLLAR BILL (post # 26) for following through with my questions direction. You have 'hit the nail on the head' with your information, confirming what I suspected. Your diligence is to be commended.

Tom Wessenberg, post # 27: "I would trust tubes and many other products from Europe, but have yet to see any quality rubber products come from China or nearby countries."

I have been to manufacturing facilities in Western Europe and also to manufacturing facilities in Eastern Europe; I have some experience with the 'work ethic' of Western Europe and also of Eastern Europe. And while I would have a fair amount of trust in manufactured items from Western Europe, I still have some reservations about things made in Eastern Europe.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #33
1931 flamingo

I don't see where EEC is any part of Eastern Europe...............................

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #34
DougVieyra

31 Flamingo: "I don't see where EEC is any part of Eastern Europe."

That is true. However I was not addressing a reference to EEC; I was addressing a reference to 'Europe' (hence, my reference to Tom's post #27). Europe is generally geographically broken in to three components - Western Europe, Central Europe, and Eastern Europe. But often it has been simplified (since the 'Cold War') into two components: Western Europe and Eastern Europe. My remarks were meant to note that there might be a significant difference in quality between EEC and 'East Bloc' Europe. With the exception of Greece, all EEC countries are in Western Europe.

While both Germany and Russia are both in 'Europe', I would not want to buy a car from Russia - Not for reasons of politics, but for their noted lack of quality.

So, what I was trying to say was that there IS a difference in quality within 'Europe'. That is one of the reasons that the EEC is beginning to 'fray'.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #35
noboD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I don't see where EEC is any part of Eastern Europe...............................

Paul in CT
I'm told it stands for Eastern European Countries, which MAY include the ones listed. ALL I know for sure is the tubes I got from there were junk.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:44 AM   #36
updraught

The UK production of Dunlop vintage car and motorsport tyres moved to Germany and France in 2014.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ar...s-vintage-cars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Dunlop
Old 05-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #37
Flathead

Does the DOT enter into this?
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #38
Greg Jones

EEC=European Economic Community
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #39
rscardina

My bad. I had read here on the Fordbarn that Brattons has their tubes made in the US. I should have checked for myself.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #40
Ian in Mississauga

I recently bought a tube from my local Model A parts supplier and specifically asked for a Brattons tube. The plastic wrapper was marked "made in China" and the tube had tiny Chinese lettering on.
Ian in Mississauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #41
SeaSlugs

Quote:

true with most things labeled "made in the usa". FYI Springfield armory pistols are made in the Philippines....some of the best pistols out there.

anyways speaking of innertubes: I have 5 20" AA truck ones with the 90*bent brass valve stem - is there anyway to straighten them back out to a 45* or put another S bend in them to straighten them up?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:06 AM   #42
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Bridgestone Americas Tube Business (BATB), a division of Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, LLC, is based in Russellville, Arkansas. Since 1964, BATB has been committed to manufacturing quality synthetic and natural rubber inner tubes for both on and off the highway usage. We offer the most comprehensive product line in the industry ranging from Forestry tubes to Lawn and Garden tubes. In addition to inner tubes, BATB produces bladder stock for other Bridgestone plants to use in the production of tires. Today, BATB is the only inner tube manufacturer in the U.S. and Canada.

Here is their catalog;

http://firestonetubes.com/uploads/catalog_2011.pdf (I don't see anything 4.5")
and I always thought that Bridgestone is a Japanese company. I guess you learn something every day.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 AM   #43
updraught

Firestone is Japanese.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 AM   #44
Dollar Bill

"I recently bought a tube from my local Model A parts supplier and specifically asked for a Brattons tube. The plastic wrapper was marked "made in China" and the tube had tiny Chinese lettering on."

How do you know it was Bratton's spec made tube?
Old 05-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #45
Mac_4

Why are you all getting so hung up on where things are made?
Germany has some of the most stringent standards in the world with the TÜV. I don't think the problem lies with where these tubes were made, but maybe what material they were made from. If they are made from Nitrile they could be suffering from ozone damage. Over a relatively short period of time the ozone in the air will deteriorate the nitrile causing it to split. Remember in the old days the side walls of tires used to crack and split? ....Ozone!
To get around this problem the rubber has antiozonants added before it is vulcanised. There are other treatments as well to prevent damage from ozone.
You need to find a reputable supplier that can give you the material specifications and trust that not everything made outside the USA is crap.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mac_4; 05-11-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Mac_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #46
CarlG

I just disassembled my tires/wheels in preparation for new tires that are on their way. When I took the tubes out, there was a plastic grommet around the base of the stem where it goes thru the wheel. I would like to put new ones in when I put the new tires on, but I don't see them in any of the vendor catalogs.

Anyone know what they are called and where I can get them?

Oh, BTW, the tubes I took out of the "old" tires say right on them: Made is USA. (Tires were Firestones made in New Zealand.) Replacing the tires only because of extreme weather cracks, still had lots of tread. They were 25+ years old, just not many miles.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 06-04-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #47
zzlegend

Are you talking about these? I carry about 30 of these in my parts drawer for projects.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Tire-Inne...#ht_883wt_1160
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #48
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Are you talking about these? I carry about 30 of these in my parts drawer for projects.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Tire-Inne...#ht_883wt_1160
That looks exactly like what were in my rims. Thanks!
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 06-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #49
zzlegend

Your welcome.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #50
ian Simpson

Quote:

This seems to be endemic. The editor of a so-called "prestigious" classic car magazine describes the Ford GT40 as the best American sports car ever. When challenged, he stated that although it was designed and built in the UK by a company completely outside the Ford Motor Company because it used a Ford engine and wore the blue oval and was paid for by Ford, it was a Ford. I guess this is another case of the golden rule - he who pays the gold rules!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #51
CarlG

I picked up my new Coker 19" Radial tires today. On the way to pick them up, the powder coater called and said that my wheels were ready. An the little grommets (post # 44-47) came in yesterday.

Looks like I will have a busy day tomorrow!
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 06-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #52
zzlegend

Sound like a good day ahead. Have fun Carl.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #53
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Enjoy your new shoes