Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
josh1331

Default Electric fuel pump

Need your help, recommended electric fuel pump to purchase and vendor, and any tips on installation. I was told it would help on starting my 1941 Ford and turn it off after starting. Also would help in case of favor lock. Thank you John
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
qmdv

Default Re: Electric fuel pump

Why not install an elec pump by the tank and take out stock pump.

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Drbrown

I agree with the recommendations you note. I have my '47 set up that way, with the electric pump at the tank. It definitely helps in starting my engine. I kept my stock mechanical pump for normal use. If one fails the other may get you home. And I still carry a spare mechanical pump in my trunk during long trips.

Others here may offer advice re sizes, manufacturers and vendors. I've seen it recommended that electric feeds to electric pumps be equipped with emergency shut-down device which can be manually or automatically activated in case of a car crash (Ron Francis is one vendor of such).

Last edited by Drbrown; 03-17-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
4t8v8

Installed inexpensive electronic pumps from Auto Zone on both my vehicles close to the tank and removed the mechanical. Used a common oil pressure switch for safety reasons so if the engine dies so does the pump. Put a momentary contact switch in the system so if it sits too long I can fill the carb before I start it. Been on both vehicles for over 25 years and not one problem.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
Old Henry

Airtex electric pumps are inexpensive, reliable, and allow the mechanical pump to pull through them when they're off.

Airtex E8902 for 6 volt. E8016S for 12 volt. Here's my installation back by the gas tank. Didn't even have to drill a hole to mount. Used a hole already in the frame to mount.

I have found a need to run the pump more than for just an instant when I have vapor lock. In such case, even this low pressure pump that tops out at 4 psi is too much for the carburetor float valve and overwhelms it and floods the engine. So, I added a Holley pressure regulator in the frame just after the electric pump.

I put a toggle switch under the dash.

And a small LED indicator light to remind me that it's on. (Green LED to right of steering column to remind me that kill circuit relay is energized to turn off when ignition is turned off.)

I also have an inertia kill switch to shut off the car (including the electric fuel pump) in case of a crash.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-18-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
Why not install an elec pump by the tank and take out stock pump.

Tim
Because electric pumps also fail. I've had an Airtex fail. I'd'a been stuck if I'd removed my mechanical pump.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
lesbliss

One caution. If you install an electric pump and have it pump through the mechanical it is possile to pump fuel into the sump if the mechanical pump diaphram rupures. Either run the electric on a momentary switch, eliminate the mechanical or plumb the electric so it doesn't flow through the mechanical.
Les Bliss
lesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #8
Tom Morookian

Here's a link to some old forum comments on Airtex pumps. IMHO they are OK as backups or startup pumps but not reliable for constant use.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=airtex
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

I've gotta admit......you must be quite the electrical guru to figure-out all those wires and switches.....nice work! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Lol!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbliss View Post
One caution. If you install an electric pump and have it pump through the mechanical it is possile to pump fuel into the sump if the mechanical pump diaphram rupures. Either run the electric on a momentary switch, eliminate the mechanical or plumb the electric so it doesn't flow through the mechanical.
Les Bliss
This is precisely what I did. I've got my inline electric fuel pump (Airtex 8016S) hooked up to a momentary switch. It's just there for priming or emergency situations.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #12
Heard

Lots of folks like the Airtex. I used a Carter in conjunction with an oil pressure cut-off switch. You may also need a fuel pressure regulator to throttle down the pump.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The oil pressure cut-off is always a good idea!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elecpump03.jpg (57.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg elecpump02 - Copy.jpg (19.8 KB, 60 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #14
Ken/Alabama

Got mine here www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The oil pressure cut-off is always a good idea!
How about wire it through the ignition switch-key on, pump on-key off, pump off

Tim
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #16
josh1331

I want to thank all you guys for the feedback. It gives me confidence to know I can do the job with various options as mentioned, with oil switch or without or regulator of some type. Kill switch really necessary. I assume it comes with wiring instructions. It might be best to wirie it to ignition switch so if you forget when doing work on car it kills the power. Any thoughts on that? John
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #17
Old Henry

Regarding relying on an oil pressure cut off switch: Suppose you are cruising along the lonely two lane using the throttle knob for cruise control (as I do all the time) when a front tire blows, you lose control, the car rolls multiple times knocking you unconscious, and lands on its wheels out in the wilderness. The engine would still be running full speed in gear with the throttle pulled out including plenty of oil pressure to keep it going.

See the problem with oil pressure cut offs? Better to use an inertia kill switch that cuts off all electrical to the engine and kills it and everything running through the ignition switch (including the electric fuel pump) in that event or many other possibilities. Here's how I wired mine to include a manual kill switch if I need to make an emergency stop with the throttle knob pulled out:

And the manual kill switch above my rear view mirror more quickly accessed than the throttle knob.

The LED indicating that the kill switch is on so that I don't leave it on when I turn the ignition switch off.

And the relay that the inertia and manual kill switches operate:

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-18-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #18
Graeme / New Zealand

I use a locally NZ made unit. It is set up much like Old Henry but I don't use a regulator. It is on a spring loaded momentary toggle switch under the dash that cant be seen. You have to hold the switch to prime it, that way it can't be left on accidentally. It is only used for priming the system of fuel so you don't have to crank and crank the starter after it has been sitting for a while.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
Old Henry

P.S. Just in case anyone wonders what all of the switches under my dash are, far left is gauge dimmer switch (stock), next turn signal switch including internal resistors to add ohms to the circuit and buzzers to remind me to turn them off, electric pump switch, interior light switch, fog light switch, then to the right out of the picture are the red LED indicating the electric fuel pump is on and a yellow LED indicator light reminding me that the fog lights are on. To the right of the steering column is another green LED indicator light telling me the manual kill switch is on energizing the relay which has to be turned off manually when key is turned off. (I actually use the kill switch to turn the car on and off and just leave the key in turned on. Have fooled many a mechanic trying to start it up.)

Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #20
qmdv

Do new cars with elec fuel pumps go through all that.

I simply have a pull type kill switch with a lanyard hooked the ring in my nose. Works every time.

Tim