Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
Pete

Default Re: Crack repair

You guys need to listen to J&M.
Stitching is one of the best ways to fix castings that has ever been developed.
It was used as far back as WW2, maybe farther.
There are literally thousands of shops across the country that do it.
While fusion and furnace welding done with base metal filler will give equal bottom line results, they both involve re-machining the casting afterward, most of the time not practical costwise.

I really like the reference to silly putty...LOL
We have used a similar term in the past, Playdoh.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #22
QGolden

Default Re: Crack repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Wow ! You sure do nice work !!
Q...Are you of the 'opinion' that BRAZE will not do (repair/hold) the job ?
Do you use brazing on any repairs ?
What prep/cleaning is done prior to such repairs, I.e.- oil cleaning/heating block what ?
I do Braze, but I never did a head. I am sure plenty do. Brazing can be difficult, for the reasons stated, you cannot keep the heat where you need it without it spreading to the areas you do not.

Metal Stitching is the best choice, and if I were responsible to a paying customer that is the route I would probably go. I have never done it, a basic pin kit is over a hundred dollars.

However silly it is, "silly putty" works, I have never seen it fail if done properly, it is machinable and heat stable. And I can do it at home, and most of the time, that is good enough for me. Now, If I were working on a head that was difficult to obtain like the 1920 Durant I saw on Sunday last, I would not risk the repair to JB Weld, but would bring it to someone who knew what he was doing. It's all a matter of trade off and risk assessment. Model A heads are plentiful, and relatively cheap, so I would risk repairing it myself if I wanted to put off the purchase, but I know that if it fails it is not the end of the line. I can have a new head here in a week.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)