Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
joel rapose

Default After you sell...how the heck do you ship ??

I sold a radiator shell on the site....but when I went looking for a box it was terrible....I ended up going to a furniture store and getting some huge boxes and cutting them up and making a proper box...... I am selling 4 mounted 21" wheels....they are heavy and would take a huge box...and probably have to be shipped by truck..... so how do you ship ? make individual boxes for each item....or ship on a pallet ? how about a front fender ? that would take a super huge box....and no one would carry it except a truck line...expensive..

Joel
joel rapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: After you sell...how the heck do you ship ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel rapose View Post
I sold a radiator shell on the site....but when I went looking for a box it was terrible....I ended up going to a furniture store and getting some huge boxes and cutting them up and making a proper box...... I am selling 4 mounted 21" wheels....they are heavy and would take a huge box...and probably have to be shipped by truck..... so how do you ship ? make individual boxes for each item....or ship on a pallet ? how about a front fender ? that would take a super huge box....and no one would carry it except a truck line...expensive..

Joel
Hey Joel,
This is why you will see a lot of 'no shipping , pickup only' ads. Local sales limited to..also !
That being said, I've shipped big stuff like you mentioned , via Greyhound Bus. There are other such sources, i.e.- Fastenal, etc who make it a little easier/feasible to ship odd/large items. Damage to these goods...IMO, you take your chances, but no major wrapping /boxing either.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
steven a

1 radiator , get a box from a radiator shop 2. wheels , band them to a pallet 3. fender , stop by a couple of body shops the usually have a fender box . best to have buyer send his shipper to pick up .
steven a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
ronn

wheels I tag and they ship ups as is- no packaging.
buyer makes arrangements

just shipped a rad shell and happened to have a box that fit................
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
48fordnut

ronn I wish I had known that. I shipped 4 35 ford wheels and went thru the devil getting boxes and shipping thru ups.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Terry, NJ

I almost lost a sale and got a bad name for the same reason. Solution- There was a little shipping Co. here in town so I took the item over for measurements (It was a Mod T windshield) and got a price, He agreed. Sent me a check, and I took the item with the $45 and paid the the shipper, who crated up the windshield, and shipped it. A couple of weeks later, I e-mailed the buyer and everything was fine, he was happy with the part. Alls well that ends well.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
flatford39

I have shrink wrapped rear fenders and just put a label on it and the USPS delivered them. It was dirt cheap too.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
roll of the dices

Wheels and tires are easy. Cut two circles of cardboard same size as wheel/tire and put a cut out on each side of the wheel/tire. Shrink wrap them individually and ship them via U-ship or FedEx.
For large boxes I usually can find those in the dumpster area of the appliance stores/mattress stores/furniture stores....and always free.
For radiators and fenders just cut down a large box to fit. Old newspapers/polydown fiber or styrofoam cut to fit is always good to protect the parts. I always find those in the same places where I find my boxes.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:

Joel
Just call ULINE< largest supplier of boxes and office supplies in the world and ask for a RADIATOR BOX...done and done
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
ronn

ronn I wish I had known that. I shipped 4 35 ford wheels and went thru the devil getting boxes and shipping thru ups.

yep and they picked them up at my house as well!
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
48fordnut

That's Great. Ran my butt off getting boxes.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
figment

For wheel boxes go to a tire store that sells custom wheels. They should have some empty boxes from previous sales of aluminum or other fancy wheels. My tire store offered me some for just hauling them away. Norm
figment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
old car guy

And don't forget greyhound bus lines . Have shipped many items along the way for reasonable prices. If you need to ship thru them so to thE local terminal and talk in person to the shipping clerk. They have always been very helpful and will explain their sizes and restrictions to you clearly. Follow the directions and your done. And the stuff gets there fairly quickly .
Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
biggieou

Quote:

Joel
Fastenal is dirt cheap shipping. Most don't know they ship. Heck, most of their employees don't know it. Recently shipped a 500lbs crated Model A engine from NE Ohio to Independence, MO for $150. Dropped it off on Monday and it was delivered Friday.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
www.northernohiomodela.com
biggieou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #15
Railcarmover
BANNED

Greyhound,I shipped a complete Datsun 710 pickup dashboard by bus,cheap and no issues...I've heard Fastenal does an inter store shipping deal,you can ship from one store to another cheaply..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
joel rapose

I guess I live in too small a town for all that stuff....we don't have Greyhound...does not even drive thru town...no Fasenal ..heck we don't even have any big box stores... we have a post office and UPS will pick up from a store downtown ....my problem..I'll live with it...
joel rapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #17
Roadster62

Here is a bit of a secret that nobody seams to know about, bicycle shops get bicycles shipped in BOXES, once the bicycles come out of the boxes they place the empty boxes in their dumpster. If you are over 18 years old you can buy a box cutter and cut the bicycle box to fit all kinds of Model A parts. Bob
Old 07-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #18
serf2

Fastenal will ship the wheels without a problem. All they require is that they are strapped to a pallet. They are also by far the cheapest way to go.
serf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #19
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Here is a bit of a secret that nobody seams to know about, bicycle shops get bicycles shipped in BOXES, once the bicycles come out of the boxes they place the empty boxes in their dumpster. If you are over 18 years old you can buy a box cutter and cut the bicycle box to fit all kinds of Model A parts. Bob
yea I had to ship a stack of fenders from IL to CA. A hallmark greeting card box and a walmart box fit together just right with some packing tape and duct tape to hold it all together. I took the box for a quote before i sealed it up and used any exterior duct tape and asked UPS if i could use duct tape as i need the strength - they said yea no problem. Jammed all sorts of scrap cardboard inside and used an ungodly amount of tape BUT the buyer said it arrived just fine and is a work of packaging art!

Now I did get shipped a modern car clutch return spring in a tube and just the tube arrived.... partially usps partially seller didnt think to tape the plastic caps on...