Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
serf2

Default E28 Brakes

Just bought a E28 sedan. I believe production around March of 28. (no date stamped on firewall/gas tank) It retains almost all of the early features including the left hand emergency brake. But it has 29 wheels on it. It appears that at some point in it’s life someone changed the rear drums and backing plates to 29 units but retained the single rod going back to each wheel. I’m am not sure what was done to the front drums. In the rear other then wheels what will I need to convert it back to the original E28 system. In the front was there a difference in E28 drums to the 29 drums. Last but not least does anyone have any of the parts I would need?
serf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: E28 Brakes

The backing plates are different, and the drums as you have noticed are different. You can have cast iron brake drums, which are the same front and back, installed on your hubs, several of the suppliers will do this, I just had it done by Mel's Model A in Huntington Beach (714) 292-8660.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
serf2

If the 29 brake shoes and lining are good can they be used with the E28 drums as well as the hardware.
Thanks Mark
serf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Yes, the shoes are the same. Rod
Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
Roadster62

I worked on an e28 brake system last year, with another e28 in the shop at the same time. I remember that there were two different style arms and brake rods. Fork on the rod or arm varied from one car to the other. I would guess there is a book or magazine feature on this topic. Bob
Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
pooch

I would go the separate handbrake later system .

The early system stinks.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Ron in Quincy

To determine which system you have, check the brake cross shafts where the brake rods attach:

The earliest system: single eye top and bottom, uses adjustable brake rods and front brake cross shaft has single eye on arm.
2nd system: single eye top and clevis bottom, uses adjustable brake rods and front brake cross shaft has single eye on arm, and clevis on rear.
3rd System: clevis over clevis, uses non adjustable brake rods.

Regarding the drums, front and rear drums are the same, only the hub is different. The shape of the drums require the AR wheels to seat properly. later 28-29 wheels should not be installed on AR drums and AR wheels should not be installed on later drums (this is covered in the S.B.)

Ford produced a later type single cross shaft with a extra arm for attaching the left hand brake, these are difficult to locate, if you choose to go this route you can add a arm to a later cross shaft.

There is also a difference in dust covers, mounting bolts, and brake shoe clevis on the front backing plates verses the later style.

Ron Rude
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote