Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2022, 01:47 AM   #1
neilp

Default How do you walk into NAPA to buy 40 Ford Parts?

There are two NAPA stores in my small two town area. I go there often for parts for my project cars/tractors so I know them and find them to be a decent source for parts until I show up with 40 ford parts requests. Then the computer does not show anything and the help just says sorry.

If you use NAPA for 40 Ford parts what are you doing to educate the person at the computer to find your part? I asked the person today if they had a book/catalog I could search for 1940 ford Hand Brake parts and they looked at me like I was crazy and said the computer is all we have. Thank you for your input, thoughts, and tricks to navigate modern NAPA parts stores for old car parts.

PML
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:53 AM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: How do you walk into NAPA to buy 40 Ford Parts?

Mine still has a book and a computer. Also he listens to me. Bonus is the back of his NAPA shop he restores 70 muscle cars.

With that said. He would probably tell me to look somewhere else for parts of that age.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-05-2022 at 02:02 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:49 AM   #3
uncle buck

What exactly were you looking for in “1940 Ford hand brake parts”?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:57 AM   #4
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp View Post
There are two NAPA stores in my small two town area. I go there often for parts for my project cars/tractors so I know them and find them to be a decent source for parts until I show up with 40 ford parts requests. Then the computer does not show anything and the help just says sorry.

If you use NAPA for 40 Ford parts what are you doing to educate the person at the computer to find your part? I asked the person today if they had a book/catalog I could search for 1940 ford Hand Brake parts and they looked at me like I was crazy and said the computer is all we have. Thank you for your input, thoughts, and tricks to navigate modern NAPA parts stores for old car parts.

PML
Considering that you choose not to mention which '40 Ford specific hand brake part you are looking for, perhaps you may have to educate yourself to the fact that there are many '40 Ford chassis and body replacement parts that Napa never carried.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:46 AM   #5
chap52

I always look for the oldest counter person. You know the guy that you can say "flathead" too and he does not think you are calling him names... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
flatford8

Try www.napaonline.com or do a google search with NAPA in the search. I find their website hard to use and often look in www.rockauto.com for part #’s. Todays counter people can be a challenge to work with when you need parts for older vehicles. Rockauto stocks many NOS parts for classic cars. There’s also Mac Vanpelt and Micheal at Third Gen Auto. Very knowledgeable guys and helpful……Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:57 AM   #7
burnette

hi ! try to log in on there online parts cataloge ,you can find parts and pictures.
try napa prolink
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:01 AM   #8
Mac VP

We’re a vendor specializing in early Ford parts, including brake components. Many parts are still available but….not every single item. Some pieces haven’t been produced for many years and we’re fortunate to have some old stock still available. Some parts are simply not available new anymore. Most NAPA stores are pretty good and employ caring sales people. However, practically all of the ‘40 Ford brake parts are not in their system. Please consider trying some of the vendors such as ourselves to find what you need. The companies that specialize in old Ford parts generally all have internet websites and many of us advertise in Hemmings. Exploded parts drawings can help guide you to find the parts you need.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:45 AM   #9
mfirth

Nice & smart folks at our local, but, we call it N=never A=any P=parts A=available. If the part is available you have to wait a day or 2 to get it ....
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:51 AM   #10
L-head

Real part stores, paper parts catalogs, parts men/women are things of the past. They and all of the above are gone with the wind.
L-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #11
DavidG

Why would you think that NAPA would or should stock parts for 81-year-old cars?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #12
alanwoodieman

I buy point sets, and condensers from them. went in to buy a 9" ford rear axle seal and they looked at me like I had poop hanging off my nose!!!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:04 AM   #13
big job

We have been dealing with Napa since 1952 when they opened. Last ten yrs five new owners. Now all counter guys retired new faces last two years. Two years ago I ask for all tune up as cap points rotor etc. No book no stupid computer Steve just goes and
picks them off the shelf. I go there recently for a common 7 inch sealed beam headlight,
This guy looks at me like ? Before I walk out, I tell him to google a Jeep. And just to

think we do $2500 to $3000 a month. Then the rare; Napa a high mount fan water pump for a FT391 Ford Industrial=Napa Ahh what? Rock Auto on the shelf: End
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #14
FortyNiner

No single supplier carries every part for every old vehicle. While there are a few items that some NAPA stores routinely handle - points and condensers in particular - most other items are not in their catalogs today. This is why the Vanpeltsales.com and thirdgenauto.com and Chuck's Trucks exist- to put hard to find parts in the hands of those who need them.

This hobby takes some effort and persistence. Whining about how one store didn't make it easy to solve your parts problem doesn't seem like a solution. Oops, gotta take my meds now.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #15
Ford Freak

I sometimes go to NAPA for everyday "modern vehicle" items. They are good for brake fluid, wiper blades, gear oil, etc. In the past I have gotten u-joints, starter motor, gaskets, etc.for my Falcon. I never get anything for my F1 or '37 from them. For those vehicles I always go to VanPelt Sales, Concourse Parts, C & G Ford Parts or Early Ford V8 Sales.It is great to be able to talk to someone who has knowledge about our old Fords!
JMHO - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #16
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Why would you think that NAPA would or should stock parts for 81-year-old cars?
Exactly. They might sell one part every 10 years. You can't run a business like that.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #17
corvette8n

My NAPA has one guy that speaks flathead and he also knows Ford 8N/9N’s, he takes the time to search the catalogs for me.

Last edited by corvette8n; 02-05-2022 at 09:45 AM.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #18
Frank Miller

We have never had it so easy. Even newer car parts I'll look them up on my phone and can literally show the parts guy exactly what I need. I've looked up bearings and seals based only on dimensions because that is all I had. When you're repairing something like an old band saw and the manufacturer is no longer around that is all you got.
The internet has made things so much easier for us.
Some may say, why should I do the parts guy's job? Because that is the easiest way to do it. You even know if it is in stock or not.
I've literally ordered stuff on Amazon in under a minute and had it at my door in less than 24 hours.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #19
TJ

I usually get a part # off the internet and then go to Napa. Seems to work most times if they stock that part. With old Ford parts like our old V-8s I use the vendors who advertise in the V-8 Times. If they have the part in stock most can get it to you withing 3-4 days. The one exception to avoid is Mac's(Ecklers).
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #20
mfirth

I wasn't talking about only 80 year old cars. Even late 80s and up .... our local just desn't carry much stock.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote