Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2022, 11:40 AM   #21
Krylon32

Default Re: How do you walk into NAPA to buy 40 Ford Parts?

I have tried the local NAPA for some parts and have been moderately successful. My best bet used to be my local Auto Value. For the last 30 years I have had the same counter person's who helped me with most of my parts requests. Unfortunately they both retired at the end of the year. They did compile a sheet with most of the parts I frequently use which will help. They also still have many books with old parts listed.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #22
GB SISSON

Only one auto parts store on this island, Napa. Same owner 40 years. Great counter guys been there forever. They sort of roll their eyes when I walk in but are always friendly. " What's Gary McGuyver working on today?" Last week I asked for a U joint for a 1947 one ton. Counterman says we have four in stock. I needed the small U bolts that secure the caps and they came in next day. So, that's how I walk into my napa store. When I first moved here in '78 there was no auto parts store and UPS brought the needed part into the airport every morning in a twin radial engine plane (Grumman?)that looked to be from the late 30's, piloted by it's chief mechanic and respected old car guru Elton Hanneman.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-05-2022 at 12:02 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #23
Karl Wolf

Having been behind the counter of an independent auto parts store,
I can say that there is a HUGE store of knowledge that is required.
One can look pretty lame for a long time.
My opinion, there are few experienced people to even set the example.
AND, if an individual have the motivation and ability, they can get better paying work.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #24
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Only one auto parts store on this island, Napa. Same owner 40 years. Great counter guys been there forever. They sort of roll their eyes when I walk in but are always friendly. " What's Gary McGuyver working on today?" Last week I asked for a U joint for a 1947 one ton. Counterman says we have four in stock. I needed the small U bolts that secure the caps and they came in next day. So, that's how I walk into my napa store. When I first moved here in '78 there was no auto parts store and UPS brought the needed part into the airport every morning in a twin radial engine plane (Grumman?)that looked to be from the late 30's, piloted by it's chief mechanic and respected old car guru Elton Hanneman.

Only one parts store near me... and it's a Mom & Pop store (literally). I get the same 'rolled eyes' look when I enter. Recent inquiries for such things as 34 Ford, 38 Plymouth, 47 CJ2, Model A.... They have the old books, and quite often can come up with parts. They get deliveries three time per day, so non-stock items come quickly. Great people, great service. Gonna test them soon with stuff for a 1915 Buick. (Grin) (But, they know me well, and they can all quote my account number from memory.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #25
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Why would you think that NAPA would or should stock parts for 81-year-old cars?
i walked into a o'rileys , gave the monkey a felpro part number for a intake gasket for a model A, got it 2 days later

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:28 PM   #26
aussie merc

seems like a world wide problem napa have just raised their heads over here but believe me its not just napa aus has several retail chain parts store all the same problems regardless of what names over the door it all comes back to the face on the other side of the counter some go out of their way to help others should be selling undi's at wallmart and have found dealers are even worse if its not in the computer it dosent exist even when your standing there with it in your hand and the part Nos are stamped in the item SO if youve got a good local store support them
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:22 PM   #27
Kube

I have good fortune at NAPA IF I speak to one person in particular. He's been there since the early 80's and although not a "car guy" he is a good counter person. He is intelligent enough and cares enough to dig into a book to (very often) find what it is I seek.
NAPA has a huge assortment of VERY old mechanical parts in their warehouses to this day. It just requires a guy smart enough to find it.
I chuckle when I see starters, etc. on eBay and the likes for big money. All a guy has to do is go to NAPA and get the same thing (often better quality) for much less cost.

My "buddy" wasn't there last summer when I needed a starter for a small block Chevy I was working on that happened to be wedged in to a '46 Ford. I knew to bring the starter with me and had already cleaned the numbers on the body so they were easy to see.
Guy asks me what car? I tell him a '46 Ford. I also tell him the starter is SBC. He looks at me like he'd seen an alien.
He then asks what year engine. I tell him I have no clue but here's the starter I need to replace. I get the alien look once again.
I TELL him to pull the book out and cross reference the number. He does this. Yippee!

A few days later after I called (he didn't call me as promised of course) I went to pick up my new starter. Not even close.
I ask the same guy WTF? He looks at me and the starter as if we are both aliens. I had asked him about the part number stamped in the body. He tells me (catch this!) "Well, I got the first five numbers".
At this point I told him he was an idiot. Yes, I did. I then asked to be taken care of by someone else. Older guy comes over, looks at the starter, pulls out the book and two days later, here's the correct starter.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:32 PM   #28
GB SISSON

That's why they make hats and t shirts that say 'old guys rule'... Really, I mean it's true.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-06-2022, 12:37 AM   #29
neilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post

My "buddy" wasn't there last summer when I needed a starter for a small block Chevy I was working on that happened to be wedged in to a '46 Ford. I knew to bring the starter with me and had already cleaned the numbers on the body so they were easy to see.
Guy asks me what car? I tell him a '46 Ford. I also tell him the starter is SBC. He looks at me like he'd seen an alien.
He then asks what year engine. I tell him I have no clue but here's the starter I need to replace. I get the alien look once again.
I TELL him to pull the book out and cross reference the number. He does this. Yippee!

A few days later after I called (he didn't call me as promised of course) I went to pick up my new starter. Not even close.
I ask the same guy WTF? He looks at me and the starter as if we are both aliens. I had asked him about the part number stamped in the body. He tells me (catch this!) "Well, I got the first five numbers".
At this point I told him he was an idiot. Yes, I did. I then asked to be taken care of by someone else. Older guy comes over, looks at the starter, pulls out the book and two days later, here's the correct starter.
Kube,
Your Napa idiot guys ugly twin sister works at my NAPA and she is just as bad.

PML
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:37 AM   #30
neilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Why would you think that NAPA would or should stock parts for 81-year-old cars?
Because this is AMERICA
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:06 AM   #31
FHFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I have good fortune at NAPA IF I speak to one person in particular. He's been there since the early 80's and although not a "car guy" he is a good counter person. He is intelligent enough and cares enough to dig into a book to (very often) find what it is I seek.
NAPA has a huge assortment of VERY old mechanical parts in their warehouses to this day. It just requires a guy smart enough to find it.
I chuckle when I see starters, etc. on eBay and the likes for big money. All a guy has to do is go to NAPA and get the same thing (often better quality) for much less cost.

Delco-Remy starters basically use the same "body" for the SBC's..allowing the rebuilders to install the interchangeable "nose cones" on various bodies..therefore "numbers on the body" would'nt help in this situation.

Albeit, a knowledgeable counterperson should know that, and identify the starter by the "nose" which had been installed.

Back in the day, the experienced counterperson, would be able to give it a quick glance, and sell you the right starter recognized by the nose..those days are gone.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:21 AM   #32
chap52

Like everything else, shop around until you find the store or vendor that has what you want. Era specific vendors usually have what you need. We have become a "right now" society. Sometimes I even grumble because Amazon is going to take [U]two days to get my order to me...... I am old and may not be here for the delivery... "Enjoying the adventure..." Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:19 AM   #33
Mart

I don't need to say how much more difficult it is living overseas.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:20 PM   #34
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I don't need to say how much more difficult it is living overseas.
Your avatar seems to reflect your statement.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #35
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHFD View Post
Delco-Remy starters basically use the same "body" for the SBC's..allowing the rebuilders to install the interchangeable "nose cones" on various bodies..therefore "numbers on the body" would'nt help in this situation.

Albeit, a knowledgeable counterperson should know that, and identify the starter by the "nose" which had been installed.

Back in the day, the experienced counterperson, would be able to give it a quick glance, and sell you the right starter recognized by the nose..those days are gone.
Glad you pointed this out... nose with straight across bolt holes, versus staggard bolt holes. Then there is the 'early' nose which bolts to the bellhousing, as opposed to the ones that bolt to the block. As simple as that. I've got the pieces in my stash to create whatever is needed.
Which 'nose' has to do with whether it's a 153 tooth flywheel, versus a 164 tooth flywheel. As posted, experienced counterperson... blah, blah.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #36
Hal Beatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Only one auto parts store on this island, Napa. Same owner 40 years. Great counter guys been there forever. They sort of roll their eyes when I walk in but are always friendly. " When I first moved here in '78 there was no auto parts store and UPS brought the needed part into the airport every morning in a twin radial engine plane (Grumman?)that looked to be from the late 30's, piloted by it's chief mechanic and respected old car guru Elton Hanneman.
That is one of the best NAPA stores I've been in and it was close to the airport whenever I was working over there.

Haven't talked to Elton in years... a really good guy. Anyone that has "Connoisseur of Junk" on they're business card is my kind person.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:55 PM   #37
Terranova

In The “back in the day” you’re waxing poetically about, parts guys had to worry about the big three and maybe three other brands, correct? Ford, Chevy and chrysler/molar and then like packard and Buick? There’s five year run from 1935-40 where most of the Ford stuff didn’t really change that much? There wasn’t “that much” to keep track of. Now there are domestic and import brands from both directions, Europe and Asia. Cars “back to the 80’s” are 40 years old now. Who’s got space to keep one of everything from every car of 80/70/60/50/40 years ago? They all run off an (often not so) centralized warehouse which is why they take a day or two for parts to arrive.

I worked at a small mom and pop retail (not automotive) establishment and the two worst types of customers were 1. The ones who had NO IDEa what they wanted or needed and 2. The one who knew exactly what they wanted, because we often didn’t have it in stock. If you need a left hand threaded whatever it is, you know about it because you’ve got an amazing internet resource that you’ve spent time diggin through to educate yourself completely on. If I’m not into your brand of left hand drive Aussie anglia Ute, I’m not going to be as educated about it.
Most car part places make their money on all the stuff we think is lame like batteries, coolant and wipers. If you think I’m wrong, drive by your local place on or just after a rainy day and check out the trash can outside the front door, it will be overflowing with wiper packages.

Most “kids” working at car places today care about “old cars” as much as you care about their “import tuners”. Which is. 0 🤷🏼www.jalopyjournal.net♂️
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #38
5851a

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.a4344dda...pid=ImgRaw&r=0
Remember the huge catalogs at the parts store?
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:06 PM   #39
GB SISSON

Terranova, you are slaying me.... So funny
Old 02-08-2022, 11:19 AM   #40
29delivery

probably Backwards
29delivery is offline   Reply With Quote