Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
rust revival

Default 28-29 coupe roadster rear subframe rivet. ?????????

Hey again lots of knowledgeable people here, So this should be a 100% slam dunk for anyone that has done restorations
Can anyone tell me what rivet style and size goes in the rear sub frame support. I see they are waffle pattern on the back side, but have a high dome head, a 13/64 drill bit fits the hole, and they are not the same as the rest of the subframe rivets(Brazier Head) that's all the info I know
Any definitive answer would be appreciated greatly

Last edited by rust revival; 08-01-2022 at 11:49 AM.
rust revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 28-29 coupe roadster rear subframe rivet. ?????????

If they are original parts then they should be 3/16. Rivet holes get expanded a bit during the riveting process so 13/64" may be about where they end up. Round heads were used where they are not obvious for a flat floor. 3/16" is common for the subframe and rear subframe cross member. Big Flats Rivet sells kits. The big 1/4" rivets are for the main frame structure and stuff like the running board brackets are heavier at 5/16" but the body subframe didn't need the really large rivets like that. Brazer heads are used where a flat floor needs a rivet. There are the odd ones on the 28/29 cowl side panels but they are also spot welded.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
rust revival

Thank you for the reply, so I need to purchase 3/16 rivets, and they would be ok (fill) when squeezed into the 13/64 hole?
rust revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #4
rotorwrench

They will fill a hole as long as they aren't too loose. The rivet tries to bend over if it doesn't expand quick enough. If a hole is too loose, I weld it up & redrill it. Rivet buck tail protrusion can not be more than one and one half the diameter of the rivet shank or they try to nail over. On a tight hole a person can use a little bit shorter buck tail but no less than one diameter of protrusion.

It's a PITA to buy them long and cut them down but it insures the correct length every time.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote