Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
lilorbie

Default 1930 Ford Model A Fordor

I have a 1930 Ford Model A Fordor. What I would like to know is there anybody out there that could tell me where I could find some instructions on where the hardware goes when I put the top wood together. I have all of the wood parts figured out how they go, I just need some help on where all the nuts,bolts and screws go. I don't want to drill a hole and then find out it was a nail that was meant to go there and not a bolt. I would look at the old wood but there's not any old wood for the top of my car. Thanks for any help anybody can be with this.
lilorbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
wmarcy528

Default Re: 1930 Ford Model A Fordor

Les Andrews model A books. There are actually three: Vol 1-mechanics Vol 2- Body etc (this is the for top questions) Third one is Trouble and Diagnostics. If you are new to model As, you need are three. They’re your bibles for your model A. You buy them any model A vendors, ModelA clubs, Amazon, And EBay. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wmarcy528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
gdmn852

Hello, I also recommend the books in previous post, also a search on this forum may be of help.Good luck on your project.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
lilorbie

Thanks for the reply's. I called the guys at Bert's Model A's about the wood kit for my car. They told me that the Les Andrews books would not really help me on the top wood instructions they said it does not really cover the Fordor's. But I Will figure it out some how.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:51 AM   #5
verdirick

You might contact John Hulstrom in Fresno, CA (559) 682-7114. He is restoring a 30 Murray Fordor and can probably help you if yours in a Murray.
verdirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
figment

Check Brattons for a complete package of the screws , nuts , nails Etc. It will most likely cost less than going to your local hardware and purchase by the piece .
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
figment

The kit offered in Brattons is for a two door . You might give them a call as they might have the correct kit for your car as my catalogue is 2 years old .
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

To my knowledge, there is not any written material that shows fasteners and such. Unfortunately, some restorers have spent a lifetime it seems collecting pictures for reference.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
lilorbie

figment I have a complete hardware kit for my car it came with the wood kit. The company that I got my kit from some of you may have heard of them and some may not have. Their web site is Fordwood.com. I do not recommend using them. They do not answer the phone or return e-mails. It says on their site that they might not hear the phone because they are running the saws making the kits o.k. I get that but at the end of your work day how long does it take to answer an e-mail.? I guess along time it's been months since I sent the last e-mail and still nothing. I worked in the auto aftermarket for years and I learned at least two things 1.Good instructions on what ever you are selling and 2 Good Customer Service they are missing the boat on both. verdirick thanks for the phone number I will call Mr. Hulstrom the first chance I get.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn. Two things:

1) your location may help a fellow barner/club member come over and lend a hand.

2) check out the Diablo A’s videos. I know there is one for installing the roof on a 31 fordoor but can’t remember if they did one for the wood portion. If they did and it is for a different body it probably will be close enough to get you through.

Mike
Old 12-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
duke36

You may want to try the Model A parts books or the The Ford Model A book by De Angeles Henry for photos of the wood,brackets etc. Also, Brent Terry Restorations for photos of the wood (see post 8) installed in some locations and Google 1930 Fordor for more photos. Many fasteners/ nuts, etc. on the wood in varying models were countersunk so as not to interfere with upholstery panels which should also be studied.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
MichaelSchwarzer

Hi lilorbie,
we made the wood ourselves and had the original setting as reference. We also tried to reuse nuts and bolts where possible. I do not have instructions, but took many pictures of the original setting as well as from the new wood and assembly. You may find it there:
https://www.fordmodela.com/restoration/body/wood/
https://www.fordmodela.com/restorati...-wood-fitting/

Hope this is of some help.

Michael in Germany
Old 12-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #13
lilorbie

MichaelSchwarzer That's Exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting all of your pictures. I have some of the original wood around the rear window. Since I'm a welder by trade I think I'm going to use some box tubing for the door frames.