Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
DRG-ler

Default Stainless steel water pipes?

Hi guys

From my 1930s Tudor, the water pipe on the radiator has rusted very thin after 90 years. It already has some holes that I will have repaired now, but I think I will need a new one soon.

Now I have a friend who works very well with stainless steel tubes, who would make this tube for me. But before I install a stainless steel pipe in the cooling system, I would like to know your experience with the materials. Does it damage the cast iron engine block or the copper / brass cooler? Electrolysis and contact corrosion can do a lot of damage.

Greetings from Berlin
Andy
DRG-ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Stainless steel water pipes?

I believe there's one available (SS) from most of the vendor's.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
DRG-ler

Yes, a lot is offered, but is it also good for the car?
Old 05-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
katy

Quote:
Does it damage the cast iron engine block or the copper / brass cooler? Electrolysis and contact corrosion can do a lot of damage.
I would suspect that it depends on the alloy of the stainless that is used for the tube.
Any metallurgists reading this that can advise?
Old 05-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
The Master Cylinder

My experience with the stainless water pipe is that it is made out of 'good' stainless steel (non-magnetic) and while I had it on the car I had no problems. It has now been on a friends car for a few years with no apparent issues.

I had to remove it from my car because the shape or bend is a little different from stock '30 and it interfered with my PowerGen, which has a slightly larger diameter than an original generator.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
DRG-ler

My problem is that I installed new stainless steel water pipes in my house a year ago. A component that made the connection to a provisional water pipe was also new and made of galvanized cast iron. This component has completely rotten from the inside in a year, I had to replace it with a stainless steel part a week ago.

If I now consider that the radiator or the head gasket decomposes due to a stainless steel pipe in the cooling system, I would rather stick to normal metal ...
Old 05-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
RB_Nielsen

Umm - the SS tube would be attached at both ends via a rubber hose so there shouldn't be any transfer of SS elements (or visa versus). Or am I missing something here? My SS water tube is still pristine and so is the radiator/motor/hoses, etc.
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
DRG-ler

In my opinion, the transmission would take place through the cooling water and the electrolytes contained therein. And there would be a transmission in the entire system.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
daren007

And we need stainless why? The original lasted 90 years.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
DRG-ler

I don't need heard of stainless steel, just my friend only works with it. He doesn't have a normal pipe. If someone had said here now that it is definitely harmless, I would have had a pipe built, but I think I would rather order an original normal one and wait four weeks for delivery.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

The most common grades for tubing are T304 and T316. These are austenitic alloys of nickel, chromium and carbon. T304 is the predominate stainless steel alloy of tubing. In the Galvanic Series of Metals, 304 Stainless is close to Titanium, Silver & Gold, but far away from gray cast iron so galvanic corrosion should not be a concern. Moreover, stainless steel is far better resistant to the highly alkaline and acidic flushing solutions we use.

The rubber hoses at the ends of the water inlet pipe do protect the pipe galvanically because the coolant is an electrolyte.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 05-05-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG-ler View Post
My problem is that I installed new stainless steel water pipes in my house a year ago. A component that made the connection to a provisional water pipe was also new and made of galvanized cast iron. This component has completely rotten from the inside in a year, I had to replace it with a stainless steel part a week ago.
Hi DGR-ler, I am just curious and nothing to do with your car but in Germany is it common to have stainless steel pipes in your house? Here in California we use copper or PEX (high-density polyethylene) pipe?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #13
TerryO

Maybe you had faulty galvanized fittings...I had 3 or 4 galvanized nipples to rust through in 2 or 3 years and the rest of them in my house (between the drop ell and brass cutoff) have been in over 25 years...Just a thought...
TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #14
Bill G

I am thinking like Daren007. The last pipe lasted 90 years and that ain't bad, so why go to all the expense and effort to have a stainless one made or to buy one that costs so much more? Just thinking aloud....
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #15
DRG-ler

OffTopic
Quote:
... but in Germany it is common to have stainless steel pipes in your house? ...
No, it is not common. It's another system, like copper and PEX. These systems are also used here. With copper pipes, however, there is a possibility that the oxide will be deposited in the water and this will then have a bad taste. PEX is a system that is processed IN walls, and on walls, stainless steel has proven to be the neatest option. But it is also one of the most expensive systems on the market.

Here is a picture.

All parts installed a year ago. The stainless steel was like new on the inside, the copper as well ... The cast iron part was almost completely clogged on the inside and rusted from the inside out.

Back to topic.

Quote:
The last pipe lasted 90 years and that ain't bad, so why go to all the expense and effort to have a stainless one made or to buy one that costs so much more?
I actually see it the same way as you do. A new pipe will last longer than I grow old. But the new pipes all look so misshapen. They fell on the arch like this. I don't like that, it's not the same with my pipe. I also need the additional connection for the water heater. I would also have to convert the new pipe. My friend's stainless steel tubes have bends that are not as sunken / look like this. You could build the whole thing optically nicer. Ultimately, it's all about the look and durability.

Today I had the original pipe repaired for the first time. It will last 1-2 years, but then a new one will be needed.

Thanks Bob, I think I'll have the replacement made of stainless steel. The price for this will be relatively low, that's what a good friend does.

Here you can see the original pipe again.

Greetings Andy
Old 05-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #16
McMimmcs

[QUOTE=Magicbox51;1883394]I am thinking like Daren007. The last pipe lasted 90 years and that ain't bad, so why go to all the expense and effort to have a stainless one made or to buy one that costs so much more? Just thinking aloud....[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree! Let common " cents " prevail!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

I am not familiar withthat pipe. What is teh small black tube sticking up from teh main pipe, return connection for hot water heater?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #18
DRG-ler

Quote:
..return connection for hot water heater?
Correct. The pipe was prepared by the previous owner but not used. I will now connect the water heater return. I'm currently installing it, but I don't want to reveal too much yet and don't show any pictures yet. Only when it's done.

Andy
Old 05-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #19
updraught

No expert. But it says here:

"If a noble metal like stainless steel has a large surface area in contact with the electrolyte while the sacrificial metal (such as aluminium) has a very small surface area in contact with the electrolyte, then the stainless steel will generate a large corrosion current which will be concentrated on a small area of sacrificial metal."
https://www.assda.asn.au/technical-i...etal-corrosion

Last edited by updraught; 05-04-2020 at 07:44 PM.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Hi Andy. I've been using a SS water inlet pipe on our Roadster for probably 10 years or better no problems whatsoever.

Some guys like the look of the black painted pipe better, they come powder coated now so they will really hold up. Get one with a mandrel bend, little to no kink at the curve, so the water flows freely with little restriction.

Good luck and have fun w/ that Model A over in Germany
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote