Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #21
3739ford

Default Re: Sick Feeling

I think I'm going to remove the oil pan and see if there is anything there. Not that hard really to jack the engine up and remove while engine is bolted to transmission.

With not seeing any marks/cracks on flex plate I think the engine is likely suspect. I do have a cheap engine stethoscope wonder if I could pin point anything with it?
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Are you sure there is not something rubbing the torque converter? Not sure how you can see in there without the lower access hole.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #23
Clem Clement

best wishes
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #24
3739ford

I think I will drill hole in bottom of trans case and look up behind the torque converter. That is quick elimination, or confirmation.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm sure you already know about the TV cable setting, but just to be sure an AOD will self destruct in short order if the cable is not in place and adjusted correctly. Just something to keep in mind.

The holes I drill are about 2" in diameter and centered just behind where the ring gear would be. I have always drilled them before assembly, but don't see why you couldn't do it in place. Just locate the center behind the ring gear so the hole saw drill center will clear it. And be careful to not hit the torque converter or the ring gear. I would shorten the center drill as much as possible or maybe use a pilot hole and then a rod in place of the center drill bit so there is no chance of doing internal damage! The hole really helps with turning the ring gear when install the converter.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #26
3739ford

I drilled a 1 inch hole behind the torque converter and did not see anything. Then with the flashlight I found half the ring between the backing plate and rear of engine. There is another half hiding somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter piece.jpg (69.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3739ford View Post
I drilled a 1 inch hole behind the torque converter and did not see anything. Then with the flashlight I found half the ring between the backing plate and rear of engine. There is another half hiding somewhere.
Well the good news is that it isn't internal to your engine - the bad news is that the rest of the monster is hiding someplace! You'll get it fixed - and you'll be cruising down the road and happy . . . and soon. Good luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #28
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
Years ago, I had a Maverick come in. The owner had been given an estimate of 300 bucks to replace the main bearings. I had him on the road in fifteen minutes all fixed by tightening his converter nuts.
I also had a 87 blazer come in my shop for an engine swap because the owner said a rod was knocking. After a few minutes getting ready to pull the motor I found all the torque converter bolts loose, tightened them and he was back on the road.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #29
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3739ford View Post
Good hunting!