Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
DRG-ler

Default Knock on Model A's door

Hello Guys, sorry for my bad english, but I come from Germany and write with Google Translator. My school English has rusted for 20 years.

About my problem.

I own a 1930 Tudor, and while driving over short, hard bumps I have a thud from the vicinity of the door lock on the driver's side. The smell does not come from the door itself, but from the body! I've already removed the rear side panel, but I couldn't see anything unusual. The rear window guide and window regulator also look fine.
The shock absorbers are also firm.

The door lock in the door latch does not rattle. The door does not open anywhere, it closes cleanly. Now I'm running out of options. Does anyone else have an idea? I'm afraid that the wood of the B-pillar has come loose. How can you control something like that? The problem is only on the driver side!

Best regards from Berlin

Andy

DRG-ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Knock on Model A's door

If I stopped all rattles and knocks in my car I would think it had finally died.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
t farr

I had a similar problem. 2 years to track it down. The 2 screws holding the front windscreen to the body were loose and periodically loosen again.
t farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Andy,

Welcome...Nice Deluxe Tudor!

OK...I am sure you did not mean this: "The smell does not come from the door itself, but from the body!". But what I think you meant to say was that "The SOUND....from the body"???

You may have to remove some upholstery panels to find out the problem. Have you taken it for a drive with the panels removed?

I like your blinkers!

Pluck

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Joop

Check your hinge pins they maybe to loose

Überprüfen Sie Ihre Scharnierstifte, die sich möglicherweise lösen
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Synchro909

In a largely unsuccessful attempt to prevent those noises, Ford installed a rubber pad on the door sill that the door sat on and another at the top. The idea was that the door would be held between them and not move. There is also a dovetail fitting (male side on the door post and female in the door) to support the door. It is very much inferior to what we have come to expect from cars these days. The whole approach to making the body for a car has changed, largely because the old way was inadequate. I experience the same bangs and thuds when I drive my Tudor but it is all part of the experience of driving a piece of history.
I have expained before on this forum how I and my wife travel thousands of miles at a time through the Australian outback (supposed to be doing it now but the virus has prevented it). We use a Phaeton because a closed car like yours will not survive the rough roads. The doors fall off them.
My advice is do the best you car to stop the noises but don't expect a 90 years old car to be like a new one.
Oh, By THe Way, welcome to the hobby and the forum. You are at the beginning of one heck of a ride.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
Gold Digger

I had a similar noise when I bought my 30 tudor a few years ago. It was on the passenger side. I found that it was the body mount on the back corner had broken. I can't remember how I repaired it now but I remember all I did was take out the back seat and fixed it through that opening. I didn't do any welding I remember. I guess old age is creeping up on me.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
McMimmcs

I had a friend sit in the back seat with a heater hose up to his ear moving it until he had zeroed in on the sound. Not scientific but it worked.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Welcome to the Barn, very nice looking car. I really like the colors.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

A guy in our club had an elusive noise we could not find. We shook it, removed shock arms, wiggled things, etc. Finally found it was the body mount bolts loose on the drivers side on the car. Just a thought...

Good luck, I'm casing a couple of annoying rattles myself in my Town Sedan.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:32 PM   #11
Bill G

Greetings Andy! I would also check the rubber pads. One at the top of the door and one at the bottom. Also, check that the dovetail (Middle of the pillar) is not loose and check that inside the edge of the door where the doveetail meets, there should be some rubber and the little brass clip.

By the way, your English is much better than my Deutsch! I took German in high school 50 years ago, and if I am hearing German spoken, I can maybe get 5 or 10% of it. Welcome to the forum!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #12
Brad in Germany

What a good looking car......love the original German license plate!

As for the clunking noise, do you have all of your door bumpers installed?

Here's a photo of them from Brattons Antique Auto Parts:

Brad in Maryland, USA
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:04 AM   #13
DRG-ler

Oh WOW, so many answers. Thank you for that.

Quote:
OK...I am sure you did not mean this: "The smell does not come from the door itself, but from the body!". But what I think you meant to say was that "The SOUND....from the body"???
Yes sorry. That is why I hate translator programs! They write a lot of nonsense.
We are actually talking about noises/sounds from the body. I am not a gravedigger.

@ Franklin
Quote:
If I stopped all rattles and knocks in my car I would think it had finally died.
Basically, I see it that way, but this rattle is very massive. That makes you think.

@t farr

Quote:
I had a similar problem. 2 years to track it down. The 2 screws holding the front windscreen to the body were loose and periodically loosen again.
I have already found this error and fixed it with a rubber pad.

@ Steve
Quote:
You may have to remove some upholstery panels to find out the problem. Have you taken it for a drive with the panels removed?
I haven't done it yet, but I'll do it.
Turn signals are made in the USA. Freshly restored and assembled four days ago. Look really good!

@ Joop
Thanks, but the doors are really tight in the frame. Hinges are great.

@ Synchro909
Quote:
I experience the same bangs and thuds when I drive my Tudor but it is all part of the experience of driving a piece of history.
Yes ... I would also see it if this sound came from both doors.
I checked this dovetail fitting. Slightly rubbed off but intact. I have to try driving with the door slightly open.

@ Gold Digger and Y-Blockhead

Quote:
I found that it was the body mount on the back corner had broken.
Quote:
Finally found it was the body mount bolts loose on the drivers side on the car.

My thoughts go there too and these scare me a little. How is the body attached to the frame? Can someone say that or does someone have pictures?

@ Magicbox51
Quote:
I would also check the rubber pads. One at the top of the door and one at the bottom.
I mean that I don't have these rubbers. But not on the passenger side either. Are these original parts that you get from Mac’s or something?
Quote:
Also, check that the dovetail (Middle of the pillar) is not loose and check that inside the edge of the door where the doveetail meets, there should be some rubber and the little brass clip.
I'll control, but I mean it's firm. A plastic part has broken behind the door latch cover in the B-pillar.
Quote:
...I took German in high school 50 years ago...
I studied Russian for four years at the time, I know nothing more!

@ Brad
Quote:
I do not think so. Where are these parts installed? Are there any pictures?

Quote:
love the original German license plate!
Yes, it is a historical original part here from Berlin from the 30s.

Best regards from Berlin
Andy
Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #14
DRG-ler

Here are some quick pictures...

The rubber at the bottom of the driver's door. Probably no longer fulfills its purpose.
On the top i have not a rubber.

Then the dovetail fitting ...

And finally the broken parts on the B-pillar.

Last edited by DRG-ler; 04-06-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #15
dmaxweb

The last picture looks to be the original hard rubber piece used as a nailing block for the upholstery panel. There are replacement blocks made of wood but you will likely need to take the upholstery panels off to replace them. Believe me, replacing it can lead to lots of other projects. First off, the replacement blocks need to be shaped to fit. You can just see the new block in the upper left hand corner of the picture.

Among other things, I ened up taking out all the panels to add sound insulation, repairing the door panels, installing seat belts, heat insulation under floor...and it's still ongoing. Being retired and sheltering in place, it keeps the boredom away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190831_140947.jpg (41.5 KB, 67 views)
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
What a good looking car......love the original German license plate!

Here's a photo of them from Brattons Antique Auto Parts:

Brad in Maryland, USA

Not all of the vendors have the correct door bumpers. I ended up getting mine from Snyders. They have them by year and body style.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...r/door-bumpers
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #17
DRG-ler

@ dmaxweb

Quote:
Believe me, replacing it can lead to lots of other projects.

I do not want / need to replace this part if I can rule out that it is responsible for the beating noise. First and foremost, I want to drive the car, not completely restore it.

For my Model A, built in 1930, should this set be the right one?

Old 04-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #18
1930artdeco

Andy, welcome to the Barn.

<My thoughts go there too and these scare me a little. How is the body attached to the frame? Can someone say that or does someone have pictures?>

The Body is held to the frame by several bolts. I think there are 4-6 on each side of the car. There will be two up front that I know of for sure two in the middle I think and two in the back. If you go under the car you will see them coming through the top of the frame.

Mike
Old 04-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #19
30 Closed Cab PU

If you end up installing door bumpers, lubricate then after installation with Bees Wax, or from part of an old wax toilet bowl ring. Keeps the bumpers from squeaking. I usually carry a small piece in a zip lock bag with my on the road spares.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #20
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxweb View Post
Not all of the vendors have the correct door bumpers. I ended up getting mine from Snyders. They have them by year and body style.

Brattons does the same with specific bumper kits by year and body style.

The set that I posted would be the correct one for Andy's 1930 Tudor.

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #21
ericr

Lieber Andy!

Ich weiß das klingt blöd, aber was passiert wenn man auf dem Trittbrett steht und das Auto ein- und ausfedern lässt?

Inhochachtungvoll!

Eric
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #22
Joop

Translation

I know it sounds stupid but what happens if you stand on the runningboard and rock the car back and forth.
Joop :-))
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #23
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Translation

I know it sounds stupid but what happens if you stand on the runningboard and rock the car back and forth.
Joop :-))
LOL übersetzer Joop, it's nice to see a sense of humor in these particular times.

I've been reading his diagnoses again. No doubt his door anti-rattlers are kaput but it is hard for me to grasp that causing the level of noise he relates.

Do you think a body block is cracked or loose?
Old 04-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
DRG-ler

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I had to go to the hospital for surgery at short "notice"?!?! (Is that the right word? I think the translator is annoying me here again ...) I came out without Corona, and meanwhile I'm getting better.

Thanks for the German translation.

Nothing can be heard when swinging on the running board. Even when driving over "long" bumps you hear nothing. But very clear when driving over short hard edges. Like a pothole.
You can clearly feel the beating when you touch the body panel on the outside of the B-pillar. The vibrations are clearly transmitted through the sheet.

Thanks Andy
Old 04-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #25
ericr

Andreas, wir sind verwirrt…..

At this point, your only option is to take the door upholstery off---have you done that already?
Old 04-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #26
DRG-ler

Hello. No, I am not yet able to screw. I can do better, but it will take me a few more days.

However, yesterday I was able to use the time, and at least make a little trip again and gather new knowledge.

The clatter doesn't come out of the door !!! I opened the door once while driving, and the rattling was still there. Dovetail and rubber buffers cannot be the cause.

The noise appears to be generated under the rear side window. There, however, I had already removed the side paneling months ago and could not see anything wrong. There isn't much there. Body, window regulator and window. But everything seemed to be solid! It also rattles with the window open or closed!

So troubleshooting is not fun if you can't find it.

Greetings from Berlin

Andy
Old 04-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #27
ericr

Maybe someone suggested this already: have you had a friend that is knowledgeable about cars, ride in the back seat while you drive, and try to find the source of the noise?

Viel Gluck,

Eric
Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #28
DRG-ler

Will probably result in ...

Greetings from Berlin

Andy
Old 04-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #29
ericr

Andy!

Hast Du die Halterungen von der hinteren Federung gecheckt? (rear spring mountings)

Hast Du ein Diagramm, das zeigt wo die Karosse mit dem Rahmen verbunden ist?
(diagram of body mounting bolts)

-Eric
Old 04-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #30
DRG-ler

Hello Eric, hello everyone else ...

Today I took my time and got under the car. All the screws I could see from below were tight. Body, frame, everything! Then I removed the rear seat and removed the left side panel. I could NOT find it here either! I will probably do a test ride with a friend soon, who will have to hear exactly where the clatter comes from.

But what I noticed quite a while ago ... if the car is on a straight road, it hangs a bit to the left. the left side compresses deeper! The spring itself is not broken! The suspension doesn't look bad either. Still strange and confusing!
However, I am considering whether the left rear shock absorber could stop at the end. I will probably take a test drive with clamped shock absorbers to rule out this error.

Greetings Andy
Old 04-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #31
old31

DR, you have a nice looking car.

Remember, if it doesn't leak fuel, doesn't leak oil, rattle, sqweek, smell, doesn't brake, cant get out of its own way in traffic, cant see out of the windshield in heavy rain, never brakes down, never gets a thumbs up, never brings a smile to people that see it, never gets honks from other drivers, then it is not a Model A.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #32
DRG-ler

Yes you are right. But I want people to wave to me tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, and not that the car breaks apart beforehand. ;-)

Greetings Andy