Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
35 Ford

Default 35 Pickup Door Question

I was going to remove my doors to replace the rocker on my 35 pickup. I ended up replacing it with the door on. I couldn't get the pin out. Through another thread here, I have learned they do not come out easily, but I saw no mention of this spot on the hinge.

My question:
Is this spot on the hinge a pin securing the main pin? This is the top hinge on the passenger side. I don't want to tear something up getting the pin out if there is another holding it in. I have the truck against the wall right now so I cant really see the driver side but I feel a hole on that one as well ... I'm not sure if there is anything in it.

Also, In the picture, right of the hinge, there is a small hole ... was this a factory hole? If yes ... I couldn't imagine what it would be for? Now that I think on it I couldn't imagine why anyone would have drilled one there. LOL

Thanks in advance!
35 Ford

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog
35 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Don Rogers

Default Re: 35 Pickup Door Question

You have the remnants of a set screw that was used to secure a rear view mirror on the passenger side of the pickup. You need to drill out that screw remnant. The other hole is anyones guess.

Don Rogers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (48.9 KB, 27 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
33 roadster

Hi I would not drill were that mark on the hinge is that is just the mark the set screw made when the mirror was on. Some times the pins come out easy and then alot of times they do not. You need to oil and heat the hinge up. Alot of times it is better to unbolt the hinge off the a piller. Then work on getting the pin out. That small hole on the cowl is not factory it needs to be welded up. Larry
33 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
35 Ford

Thanks for the replies! I am a bit confused now .... Drill or not. Does this screw go all the way in to the hinge pin preventing the pin from coming out?

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Don Rogers

The screw was to keep the mirror bracket from swiveling......However, if the screw was too long or screwed in too far, it would touch the pin and perhaps keep it from coming out.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
35 Ford

OK great ... thanks again!

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog
Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
33 roadster

Hi 35 Ford if you bought a mirror. And took a look at the arm that goes on the hinge you can clearly see that it is drilled and tap for a set screw. I know because I put one on my 36 pickup. I did not drill and tap the hinge. If you did there would be no room for adjustment of the arm. Also if you hit something with the mirror the thing would not give any and you would likely break something. The mark on your hinge is just the end of the set screw setting into the hinge. Larry
Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Don Rogers

33 roadster Are you looking at a curved arm mirror bracket or a straight arm? The straight arm bracket was used in 1935 and part of 1936. It had an untapped hole. The screw used with this bracket was a pan head screw that passed thru the hole into a tapped hole in the hinge. The later curved arm bracket used a set screw and was easier to adjust as you indicated. Most likely "35 Fords" pickup used an earlier straight arm mirror.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
33 roadster

Hi, Don I have a Drake straight arm on my 36 that came with a set screw in it. It is good to learn more about these cars and trucks. I did not know that the 35 had a hole in the arm that is not tapped never seen one. All I know is my 36 pickup and the 37 big truck straight arm on my ton an a half have set screws. Thanks, Larry PS 35 Ford If I where you I would sand and maybe put some heat on the hinge and you should be albe to see if there is an out line of a bolt in there. Thanks, Larry
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Thomasd_88

I have a 37 pickup and my doors were on for a Loooong time. I got the pin remover tool from Drake (about $25.00) and that worked great. No heat, just oiled them for a week before I tried.
Thomasd_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

Most NOS mirror arms I have seen for 35-36 pickups had a hole but it was NOT threaded. Most had a screw that went into the hinge itself, not to hold the hinge pin in, however. I have seen original trucks that had both kinds but thus far have not documented what was correct at the Benson Ford Research Center. The jury is still out on what was used at the factory in 35-36.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
35 Ford

OK, I hope this helps clear things up a bit .... I cleared a path to the driver side and got a picture of the driver side hinge .... it does appear (???) to be threaded and looks like it either does not go through to the pin or the old screw is broke off in there. I really can't get a better look at it right now.

Oh and look there is the same little hole on in the body that's on the other side. I wonder what they were using them for!

Thanks for all of the replies!

Damon
35 Ford

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog

Last edited by 35 Ford; 11-21-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #13
Don Rogers

The extra long top hinge pin on both sides is another give away that there were hinge pin mirrors on your truck
Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #14
Steel 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasd_88 View Post
I have a 37 pickup and my doors were on for a Loooong time. I got the pin remover tool from Drake (about $25.00) and that worked great. No heat, just oiled them for a week before I tried.
Worked for me as well, but getting them seated is on my to do list, with my schwing Im afraid
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
35 Ford

Just an update:

I purchased the removal tool from Mac's and it worked great! It would have been nice if the longest dowel would have been about a 1/4 inch longer. All in all it is a great tool and I recommend it!

Here is a link to the tool ----> http://macsautoparts.com/early-ford-...R3CHL1094541E/

Thanks for all of the replies!

Check out my blog to see the tool in action!

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog

Last edited by 35 Ford; 12-18-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added mention of blog for tool usage illustration.