Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
Tudie 36

Default Tudie’s starting to start

It’s me again. Put the new starter on today. Checked it before hand by connecting to Tudie’s 6volt battery. Spun better with what looks like a new bendix (that came of the other starter) than the old one did without. Excitement as I pushed the the button but…. Just a slow drag again, very, very, slow. I jumped with a 12volt from the boat and she fired right up. I’ve cleaned every connection almost, as I was chasing the cables looking for issues I realized I missed the connection at the firewall to starter button, it’s pretty nasty looking. Could this have been the problem all along? Sincerely, Fun but Frustrated in Tennessee.

Last edited by Tudie 36; 06-12-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Tudie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:50 PM   #2
kurt v

Default Re: Tudie’s starting to start

I've had that problem with my rebuild, went from my pos (grd) to the motor helped a lot spun over better.
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:19 PM   #3
koates

The first thing to do would be to LOAD TEST the battery with a proper battery load tester. Guess you may not have one of those so take it to a battery shop or an auto electrical shop to test it. Check it yourself with a voltmeter. Voltage should bbe 6.3 volts on a good charged battery. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
Tudie 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
The first thing to do would be to LOAD TEST the battery with a proper battery load tester. Guess you may not have one of those so take it to a battery shop or an auto electrical shop to test it. Check it yourself with a voltmeter. Voltage should bbe 6.3 volts on a good charged battery. Regards, Kevin.
The battery is an Red top Optima. It did need charged. 5.8 Volts. I haven’t had it in a charger for months. Car has a battery shut off. I’ll test again tomorrow. Thanks Kevin.

Last edited by Tudie 36; 06-12-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:12 PM   #5
Ramjet47

I had a slow starting problem and screeching sound on my 1937 221” on first start up after complete overhaul of the engine and starter. I found that the Bendix spring attach bolt was fouling on the starter cup attached to the bell housing, causing drag on the starter and I presume, loss of current going to the coil. These cups have sometimes been slightly dented over the years. I removed the cup and fitted a replacement. Solved the problem, engine now starts immediately at the press of the button. If the car hasn’t been run for a while and is cold, I run the electric pump for 15 seconds, then one pump on the accelerator and press the starter button, starts immediately. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74181D8F-4B40-445F-997F-18961F5B509A.jpg (33.0 KB, 28 views)
Ramjet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #6
Tudie 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet47 View Post
I had a slow starting problem and screeching sound on my 1937 221” on first start up after complete overhaul of the engine and starter. I found that the Bendix spring attach bolt was fouling on the starter cup attached to the bell housing, causing drag on the starter and I presume, loss of current going to the coil. These cups have sometimes been slightly dented over the years. I removed the cup and fitted a replacement. Solved the problem, engine now starts immediately at the press of the button. If the car hasn’t been run for a while and is cold, I run the electric pump for 15 seconds, then one pump on the accelerator and press the starter button, starts immediately. Hope this helps.
I guess the good thing is no noises. Cleaning a couple more connections and checking batteries tonight. I’ll keep all informed. Thanks, Greg
Old 06-13-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
Tudie 36

She fired right up!
Old 06-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #8
RKS.PA

Love it when a plan comes together!! Good trouble shooting!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:32 PM   #9
Tudie 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Love it when a plan comes together!! Good trouble shooting!!
. Thanks, I hope she’s happy.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #10
tubman

Watch out for rebuilts. I was always apprehensive about the starter in my '51. It never failed me, but it seemed to not have the "oomph" it should have. So when I heard that NAPA had a deal on rebuilts I ordered one and installed it. It was worse than the one I took out; it would hardly start the car. I took a swap meet unit off the shelf (it had a "good" tag on it) and put it in. It was much better than either of the others. So i decided to do it myself. Previously, I had ordered a bunch of flathead starter bushings and brushes from Rock Auto on close-out. My neighbor who is into flipping electric golf carts, had obtained a "growler", so we used that to test the armature and found it was good. Turning the commutater and installing new bushings and brushes resulted in a starter that turns the old Ford over like a new 12 volt vehicle.

I took the NAPA unit back, and they gave me a credit like it was normal business. (This on a "No Return" electrical part.)
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:36 AM   #11
Tudie 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Watch out for rebuilts. I was always apprehensive about the starter in my '51. It never failed me, but it seemed to not have the "oomph" it should have. So when I heard that NAPA had a deal on rebuilts I ordered one and installed it. It was worse than the one I took out; it would hardly start the car. I took a swap meet unit off the shelf (it had a "good" tag on it) and put it in. It was much better than either of the others. So i decided to do it myself. Previously, I had ordered a bunch of flathead starter bushings and brushes from Rock Auto on close-out. My neighbor who is into flipping electric golf carts, had obtained a "growler", so we used that to test the armature and found it was good. Turning the commutater and installing new bushings and brushes resulted in a starter that turns the old Ford over like a new 12 volt vehicle.

I took the NAPA unit back, and they gave me a credit like it was normal business. (This on a "No Return" electrical part.)
. And I bet it went back on the shelf. For the next happy customer.