Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
51504bat

Default C&g

I just bought a '54 Ranch Wagon and requested a free printed catalogue on Thursday from C&G. Their web site said 8-10 weeks for delivery. Got a confirmation email today (Saturday) saying it shipped. As usual C&G's customer service is top notch especially considering it was for a free catalogue.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: C&g

Only 80 miles down the road and you're still waiting for it?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
chap52

I always experienced great service and quality products from them. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Ford Freak

I have had nothing but great service from them as well . - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
philipswanson

They are good but I found that if you live in CA, you are better off going to Drake or Carpenter to avoid sales tax. Shipping is about the same regardless of who you buy it from but no tax saves money on most all purchases. And they get 99% of their stuff from Drake and Carpenter anyway.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:18 AM   #6
Graeme / New Zealand

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
As a Kiwi in the South Pacific their service is second to none in my opinion and they always ship to me at the cheapest possible rate. Kyle is hands on when it comes to customer service.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
They are good but I found that if you live in CA, you are better off going to Drake or Carpenter to avoid sales tax. Shipping is about the same regardless of who you buy it from but no tax saves money on most all purchases. And they get 99% of their stuff from Drake and Carpenter anyway.
Not sure but with the recent court decision on taxes I believe all internet sales will be charging taxes on out of state sales.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Not sure but with the recent court decision on taxes I believe all internet sales will be charging taxes on out of state sales.
The secret is not to use internet sales(e-Bay or Amazon). Call directly to the business that is out of state. California made a deal with e-Bay (Pay-Pal) to collect the tax on those sales. Since e-Bay is based in California they can make e-Bay collect sales tax. As far as I know you can still order via the internet, just avoid e-Bay and Amazon if you don't want to pay the tax.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
tubman

I for one, prefer the convenience of internet ordering (I'll get back from the shop late or on a weekend and want to place my order NOW). I also do not shirk from paying my fair share of taxes. What will make me avoid a vendor is charging outrageous shipping fees. What's fair is fair; greed is not.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The secret is not to use internet sales(e-Bay or Amazon). Call directly to the business that is out of state. California made a deal with e-Bay (Pay-Pal) to collect the tax on those sales. Since e-Bay is based in California they can make e-Bay collect sales tax. As far as I know you can still order via the internet, just avoid e-Bay and Amazon if you don't want to pay the tax.
Not true. I have bought from E Bay recently and was not charged sales tax and I live in CA. As long as the seller has no stores in CA I have not paid tax. Same with Amazon. The change may be coming but not yet.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
RKS.PA

Guys, I think it's only a matter of time before state sales tax will be charged on everything we buy, regardless of vendor, unless you live in a no sales tax state.

I just noticed that Speedway charged sales tax on the last thing I bought. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember them doing this in the past or at least until 12/18. So, maybe if you're planning a large parts purchase, you might want to move it up on your schedule.

Here's yet another cost of doing business for our trusted great vendors like Mac VP, C&G, Charlieny, etc.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Not true. I have bought from E Bay recently and was not charged sales tax and I live in CA. As long as the seller has no stores in CA I have not paid tax. Same with Amazon. The change may be coming but not yet.
The last article I saw indicated that because the item was paid through Pay-Pal which is in California that they would collect the taxes. The article could also be fake news. Since we live in the highest taxed state in the nation nothing would surprise me.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
51504bat

The catalog arrived today in the mail which is pretty amazing considering it was sent media mail which always takes longer than regular mail. Again, as many have said, outstanding customer service.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Flathead Fever

Quote:
There is a spot on your CA tax forms for paying sells tax on stuff you buy out of state. I'm sure everybody here in CA on the Ford Barn is being honest and paying their tax on out of State purchases. I actually had a letter from the CA tax board sent to me me wanting to know if I was paying CA sales tax on the stuff I was buying on eBay. I was buying a lot, vintage hot rod photos and car parts. I sold just a few items. We went back and forth through the mail several times for months until I called in and explained that nothing I was buying on eBay was new or was something I could have bought in CA. They got a little nasty with me. They wanted me to pay income tax on the stuff I sold and sells tax on the stuff I bought. I said goo luck trying to collect it. That was the last I heard from them. What I want to know is who provided my eBay information to the CA tax board? It had to be either eBay or PayPal.

C&G is really good. I can order a part I need today for a project I'm working on and have it here tomorrow. They are my number one choice for ordering parts from. Almost all of the parts suppliers are great. When you order stuff just make sure they have the part in stock before you send them your money. One manufacturer of reproduction Early Ford Parts will take your money, then send you a letter saying its out of stock and refuse to return your money. Instead they give you store credit. If I do need one of this companies products I order it from one of their suppliers. I will never again deal directly with them. It happened to me several times.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #15
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
There is a spot on your CA tax forms for paying sells tax on stuff you buy out of state. I'm sure everybody here in CA on the Ford Barn is being honest and paying their tax on out of State purchases. I actually had a letter from the CA tax board sent to me me wanting to know if I was paying CA sales tax on the stuff I was buying on eBay. I was buying a lot, vintage hot rod photos and car parts. I sold just a few items. We went back and forth through the mail several times for months until I called in and explained that nothing I was buying on eBay was new or was something I could have bought in CA. They got a little nasty with me. They wanted me to pay income tax on the stuff I sold and sells tax on the stuff I bought. I said goo luck trying to collect it. That was the last I heard from them. What I want to know is who provided my eBay information to the CA tax board? It had to be either eBay or PayPal.

C&G is really good. I can order a part I need today for a project I'm working on and have it here tomorrow. They are my number one choice for ordering parts from. Almost all of the parts suppliers are great. When you order stuff just make sure they have the part in stock before you send them your money. One manufacturer of reproduction Early Ford Parts will take your money, then send you a letter saying its out of stock and refuse to return your money. Instead they give you store credit. If I do need one of this companies products I order it from one of their suppliers. I will never again deal directly with them. It happened to me several times.
I've always had good luck with the few items I've bought at C&G for my '39 p/u. Usually I'd pick the parts up on the way to or from San Diego to visit my son. He has since moved so now I'll have to have the parts shipped. That said, I wish that Joe's Antique Auto carried later year parts since he has been my go to guy for years.