Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
ericr

Default One Model "A" in Fascinating Color Slides of America During the Depression

I found one Model "A" but in general these are neat color slides of rural Depression-era America:

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Wallace

Default Re: One Model "A" in Fascinating Color Slides of America During the Depression

Thank You! for posting this remarkable collection. I was born in 1938 in a tenant farmer family into poverty...like most everyone else...but I cherish the memories of WW11 ...the news. the prayers, the death. I am reading this on Christmas morning...surrounded by too much. Thanks again...for these sobering sights.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
TDO

Default Re: One Model "A" in Fascinating Color Slides of America During the Depression

Thanks for posting, nice collection. those pictures reflect the way it really was, not like Hollywood makes it look.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
700rpm

Great stuff! It reminds of the little girl who was looking at an old family photo album and asked her grandma, "Didn't the world have any color when you were growing up?"

If you Google S. Montana at Bannock, Dillon, MT, you can see what the magnificent building shown in slide #57 looks like now.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Bruce in southern OH

Another world ago, we do not know how well we have things today, thanks for reminder,
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
jkcrosson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I found one Model "A" but in general these are neat color slides of rural Depression-era America:

There's no way that can be a period picture of a Model A. Everyone here knows that a Tudor sedan would not have had colored wheels in 1940
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

Awsume pics of life and things in the 30's and 40's. Born in 39 I missed most of it but remember WWII pretty well Fasinating pics loved them. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post

If you only see one Model A you are not looking hard enough. Several sedans and an AA are visible. ;-)
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
jkcrosson

I saw an AA, a pickup, a tudor sedan with cream / yellow wheels and possibly another sedan. The 2 sedans were in one picture.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
juke joint johnny

Great photos thanks for posting
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
apbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Thank You! for posting this remarkable collection. I was born in 1938 in a tenant farmer family into poverty...like most everyone else...but I cherish the memories of WW11 ...the news. the prayers, the death. I am reading this on Christmas morning...surrounded by too much. Thanks again...for these sobering sights.
This was a riveting set of pictures for me. My parents were born in 1936 and 1940, myself in 1971. As a result, my mind regularly fails to disassociate the Depression-era with black-and-white images, distancing them from me. I know these people lived this pain in colour, but it's so hard for me to see it as I know they did.

These pictures brought this era (my interest in which was one of the reasons I become a Model A-er at the tender age of 41 a year ago) closer to me in a way no other picture gallery or museum exhibit has in decades.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
ericr

most of us are going to say that families were stronger back then and also it does seem that society in general was more structured and orderly. I used to think that given poorer communications, disadvantaged folks had no way to compare their status to more fortunate people but now I'm not so sure of that. People did see newsreels back then and also, many popular movies of the '30s did revolve around depictions of wealthy society living in mansions with servants, Packards, evening gowns and tuxedoes, etc.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
cedar

These pictures are great.
cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If the exact spot were found today of some of the photos, it would be kind of interesting to see the "before", as we see here, and the "after" of what we see today if any of the spots still exist which I think they do.

I remember looking over Shasta Dam once and got dizzy doing so!

Thanks ericr for the wonderful photos.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
woodiewagon46

Great pictures, I know they were tough times but I wish I could go back. Life was much simpler back then.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Terry,NJ

Thanks for the great pictures! I was born just a couple of years later, but some things didn't change that much and it was like a trip down memory lane.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Skrain

I saw ones in #18, and #25, If I'm not mistaken...
Amazing collection of pictures nonetheless!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Referring to the first pic: I have an unused collection of aprons, like the lady's wearing, made by my Grannie on her old Singer Treadle. She bought remnants from the store to make them & the store also helped her market them.
Once on a visit, Grannie dug through a stack of them, pulled a wad of $$$$$$ out of an apron pocket,-----"Hey, hotshot, need sum money to git back home"? (Grannie wuz an ANGEL!) Bill W.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Steve Miller

Thanks. Obviously different time, prior to pre-packaged and fast food, guess that's why you see no fat people in those photos
Steve Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
Patrick L.

Boy, the good ole days huh ! Great pictures. I wonder how many could, or would, live like that today. How things have changed in a mere 70 years.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote