Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
cars2cool

Default Engine block cleaning question

I am working on a '31 coupe with a friend. Discovered today the radiator has grease in it from the water pump bearing. It failed the in car radiator flow test even though it took the full 1 1/2 gallons to fill it. Next is to get the radiator out and to the repair shop to find out exactly how bad it is plugged. If it's really bad and I decide to remove the head for cleaning as well, what do I soak the water jackets in the block with? I want it clean as possible before I replace the water pump with a Rupert's.
cars2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Engine block cleaning question

Greasy cooling systems are the result of improper greasing of the rear water pump bearing. I have a friend who used a handful of laundry powder to clear it but he found that caused too much foam. Foam doesn't do a good job of cooling so we looked for a grease cutting detergent that doesn't foam. We settled on dish washer tablets. A couple of those in the top of the radiator, go for a drive (more than to the ice cream shop) and drain while still hot and the greasiness was nearly gone. A repeat and all was good.
That costs next to nothing and might solve your problem without taking anything apart.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Anteek29

Another vote for use of dishwasher tabs to de-grease.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

I would not remove the head or the radiator.

I like to use Metal Kleener 2014 (that is made by Rust 911) to remove all the old grease and oil from the cooling system. This stuff is concentrated and bio-degradable). I fill the cooling system with the solution and drive around for a few days, drain and flush the system. It will be free of grease and oil.

If the cooling system also has a lot of rust, then use Rust 911. Mix according to instructions and fill the cooling system and again drive around a bit. you may have to leave it in for several days, up to a week. Drain and flush. It may take 2-3 applications of Rust 911 to get all the rust out but your cooling system will eventually come clean and rust free.

These products will not harm the radiator, hoses or gaskets and are bio-degradable and come in concentrated form. They will not harm the paint BUT I recommend you immediately flush with water if you do get some of the solution on the paint.

I have also used Metal Kleener 2014 with very good results to clean all the old varnish and crud from gas tanks without removing the tank from the car. You can follow up with Rust 911 if there also is a lot of rust in the tank.

I buy directly from "rust911.com"

This is my experience and my opinion.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 04-24-2021 at 10:26 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #5
Synchro909

Check out this range of products. http://liquidintelligence.com.au/pro...m-cleaning-kit
I've seen it used and WOW! that stuff works. Note the prices are Australian dollars. You guys can reduce them by about 25%
Old 04-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
cars2cool

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to add there is no rust in the system. I've never heard of Metal Kleener 2014 before. Can I find it on a store shelf some where. I'm going to go with the Cascade powder my wife has under the kitchen sink to start with. I really don't want to remove the radiator. It's a very nice car and don't want to scratch it up. I think this is the first major repairs being made to this car since being restored in 1997.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
Mad Mac

Has anyone considered whether a small amount of "greasiness" in the radiator might actually be a good thing? I occasionally screw in the grease cup on the rear water pump bearing (it contains special water pump grease) and also add a cup-full of neats-foot oil into the water. I have never added any of that special green (and expensive) radiator coolant, and yet even after 30 years there is no rust in my my radiator water. The radiator works well too - never any cooling issues.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #8
Oldgearz

I have cleaned numerous cooling systems using dishwasher soap. Drain existing fluids, fill with water and a good dose of liquid dishwasher soap. Run 15 minutes with engine at operating temp. Drain. Repeat. Then drain and flush with clean water while engine is running. She'll come out spotless.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
cars2cool

If there is a coating of "greasiness" on the inside of the radiator and water jacket the radiator can not dissipate the heat. On this particular car, a well meaning mechanic pumped the zerts full of grease, and not the special water pump type either. Do you normally run the green anti-freeze down under? Does it ever freeze down there?
Old 04-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #10
cars2cool

Thanks Oldgearz - I really don't want to remove the radiator. Does the liquid work better than the granular, or is it just what the navigator has on hand under the kitchen sink? What?
Old 04-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #11
cars2cool

The navigator just pulled out from under the sink a big ol tub of Cascade complete. It has Dawn grease fighting power with lemon scent! Could be a win - win if it covers up the smell of raw gas!
Old 04-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #12
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Cascade with Dawn will work, but I believe Dawn Dish Soap by itself is the best for cutting grease.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2cool View Post
If there is a coating of "greasiness" on the inside of the radiator and water jacket the radiator can not dissipate the heat. On this particular car, a well meaning mechanic pumped the zerts full of grease, and not the special water pump type either. Do you normally run the green anti-freeze down under? Does it ever freeze down there?
There are a few places that go below zero at times but freezing is not an issue for the big majority of us. I've never given it a second thought. I have run glycol in some of my As but these days, I run Motor Medic Radiator Anti-Rust & Water Pump Lube as well. It is an American product so you guys should be able to get it.
BTW, Special water pump grease is actually a low melting point wax. I mix in some powdered graphite so better lubrication and it stays put. It will not affect the cooling system either if some does get in there.