Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #21
DBSHELTON

Default Re: Borg Warner OD Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
My Pop didn't trust the overdrive to function correctly in my old hand me down 1951 Merc so he pulled the cable into lockout then he disconnected the cable mount from the dash and wired it up under the dash so that no one would mess with it. We drove the car for years that way until I finally overhauled the transmission and replaced the electrical harness.

It should function just just fine in lock out mode since the sun gear is locked in with the planetary pinion cage. The planetary gears don't rotate independently in that mode so drive is direct to the rear axle.

Thanks, that is what I was wondering.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #22
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Sorry, no. I told the nice lady at the parts counter what I wanted and she handed it to me. Went home and installed it, tested as I thought it would, so I put it all together. I have done this on about five and possible six O/D's. Works well for me. I'm sure most parts houses have a selection of switches. I asked for one that would interrupt the circuit when the plunger is pushed into the switch and the circuit will be restored as soon as the plunger is allowed to push itself out of the switch body. (shifting the tanny into reverse pushes the plunger into the switch body, killing the circuit to the solenoid. Neutral or an gear other than reverse doesn't affect the circuit. My power source runs from the fuse directly to that switch, then on to the on/off control to the solenoid, thereby insuring there won't be a memory lapse of other reason for the solenoid to be powered when the tranny is in reverse, Works for me and Austin Healey, Triumph, Jaguar and Volvo that I am aware of. Probably on any vehicle with a Laycock de Normanville O/D.
The question I would ask is how is this switch interfaced with a model A transmission shift mechanism. Is it attached to the shift top to be actuated by the 1st reverse fork operating shaft or is this even a model A transmission?

Lock out switches were common on the early Lincoln, Ford, and Mercury R10 overdrive transmissions but they were deleted in 1951.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #23
Tom Endy

The original Borg Warner installations were controlled by a relay and a governor. The governor did not allow the overdrive to activate until the car reached a speed of about 35 mph. This prevented any damage from backing up with the overdrive engaged. It also prevented the solenoid from being powered when the car was parked. They also had an over ride switch associated with the gas pedal that would disengage the overdrive temporarily if you wanted to accelerate.

Most Model A modifications did not include any of these features and often the overdrive was damaged when attempting to back up with it engaged. There were often incidents of a dead battery when a Model A was parked and someone did not turn the solenoid activation switch off.

I had three Borg Warner overdrives installed in Model A's back in the day and I took advantage of all these features when I installed them. See the attached link

Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...r-Apr-2005.pdf
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #24
DBSHELTON

Thanks Tom. My plan is to use a relay and governor setup. I really like the idea of having everything in place but probably won't utilize the kickdown switch.

Last edited by DBSHELTON; 08-27-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #25
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSHELTON View Post
Thanks Tom. My plan is to use a relay and governor setup. I really like the idea of having everything in place but probably won't utilize the kickdown switch.
You will need the over ride switch when you want to climb a hill in second gear overdrive. You will likely be below 35 mph and by holding the spring loaded over ride switch engaged you will be able to stay in overdrive.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #26
SteveB31

I just picked up a fresh Borg Warner overdrive ready to install in a Model A. Comes with several extra solenoids. Also have several Borg Warner overdrives loose ( as they came out of the car. Any interest?

Steve

Email [email protected]
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #27
DBSHELTON

I decided to tackle installing the B-W overdrive this weekend. i really don't know why I was dreading this job because it has been pretty easy so far. Will probably finish up this morning and then will tackle the wiring. Still not sure which diagram to use for my 6v system.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:22 AM   #28
DBSHELTON

Got everything working except for the speedometer. I determined that the OD is from a 53 or 54 Ford truck, so I bought a speedometer cable and gear for that. It fits and the gears mesh and has a 5/8"-18 Female nut with square drive on the other end of the cable. Anyone know how I can connect that to the 7/8"-18 Female nut with tang drive on the Model A cable? Looked at catalogs and websites and nothing is exactly what I need. I thought about splicing the 2 cable housings together and making a replacement inner cable from a parts house replacement. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #29
AzBob

Texas Industrial electric has speedometer fittings etc. They can even make up a custom cable.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/speedo.asp
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #30
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob View Post
Texas Industrial electric has speedometer fittings etc. They can even make up a custom cable.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/speedo.asp
They have everything except exactly what I want.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #31
Ak Sourdough

https://www.speedoservice.com/

I see this guy on the HAMB from time to time. Haven't had any dealings with him myself, but he seems to be solving any issue that comes up.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #32
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSHELTON View Post
I have a Borg Warner overdrive that I bought for my Model A a good while back. Went through it, checked out the solenoids, bearings, etc. Now I can't for the life of me remember what position the lever is supposed to be in for the OD to be engaged. I don't want to make the fatal mistake of hooking it up wrong. Lever pointed towards the rear or front? Pictures attached.

That lever DOES NOT engage nor disengage the overdrive! Engagement is done by the solenoid. The lever is a lockout lever. In the forward position (photo #1) it locks the trans in direct drive (the solenoid is blocked from engaging overdrive). In the rear position (photo #2) it allows the solenoid to engage overdrive when energized.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #33
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
That lever DOES NOT engage nor disengage the overdrive! Engagement is done by the solenoid. The lever is a lockout lever. In the forward position (photo #1) it locks the trans in direct drive (the solenoid is blocked from engaging overdrive). In the rear position (photo #2) it allows the solenoid to engage overdrive when energized.

Thanks, I figured that out when I tried to drive it a while back. No reverse.