Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #1
old31

Default Steering box rebuild problem on a 31

What would cause this.

I rebuilt the steering box with all new parts. Adjusted it in the vice and it was ok. Installed it and it needed more adjustments due to too much play.

When I went to turn the Eccentric adjusting sleeve, I couldn't. It has a new sleeve and new eccentric cone. I tried vice grips, hammer and chisel nothing will move it. Needless to say the sleeve is now ruined.

And yes, I did loosen the nut first.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: Steering box rebuild problem on a 31

Did you loosen all four sector shaft housing nuts or just the nut under the eccentric adjusting sleeve? You need to loosen all four to move the sleeve.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Growley bear

If you used a new repro sleeve and nut, they have a tendency to bind up tight.
I try to use original parts here if I can. When installing the sleeve/cone do not line the slots up, that seems to help prevent binding .
When setting worm gear bearing preload, there are two areas to be aware of. Set the bearings so that there is no end play and just turn the shaft with your thumb and fore finger. I should turn free and smooth. Second check the radial play I/E side play in the bearing. If there is any it also needs to be adjusted out. Do all your checking as close to the gear box as possible. Remember the rollers need to roll and remain vertical with out cocking to one side while turning the steering shaft. After you are satisfied that there is no play turn the shaft again with thumb and finger. It should not stick at first and should not have free spots with intermittent binding.
The first box I did, everything was great so I removed it from the vice set it on the bench and checked it the next day and all the adjustments were way off.
I realized that the vice was distorting the housing (cast steel, not cast iron).
I made a fixture out of some 1/2 steel plate and used the light switch pad to mount the box for rebuilding. Works very well and is simple. A piece of hardwood could also be used as long as the box doesn't move around. Great needs to be taken when making the centralization adjustment. When at the very end of the operation an adjustment of the eccentric will amount to no more than heavy pressure.
If you are not familiar with the procedure, local clubs usually have someone well versed in steering box repairs. Don't try to get it done in five minutes; be patient and practice, you'll get it.
And remember, they used to mass produce these. This is a learned skill.
Be patient and have fun.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
Growley bear

One other thing, the sleeve and cone assembly is a method of holding a plate in a rigid position on a housing and it works very well as you found out. The method of getting them loose at least on a truck axle is to loosen the nuts/bolts a couple turns and give the axel and give the axle flange a good whack with a big hammer. The same would apply to the eccentric sleeve and cone but on a much smaller scale.
Try clamping the box solid with access to the sleeve and using a tool similar to a socket that will fit around the cone and rest on the sleeve and tap the sleeve toward the box; the shock should loosen it. I guess a method caused by desperation would be to back the stud out with the cone and eccentric attached to gain a little clearance. Some small parts will probably be ruined, but at this stage, well a person has to be creative.
There are lots of housings out there, If you break yours, let me know and I'll send you one of mine/you just pay the freight. I have a few other small parts too. No Charge. just freight
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
Did you loosen all four sector shaft housing nuts or just the nut under the eccentric adjusting sleeve? You need to loosen all four to move the sleeve.
I didn't mention it but yes all the nuts were loosened.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
old31

Growley, yes the sleeves and nuts are all new. I will try your shock method.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
old31

Well I hate to pull the darn box out of the car again.

Nothing worked to loosen the sleeve, Hit it with a big hammer, put a chisel to it and hit the sleeve, penetrating oil, heat. Nothing worked. Not much left to the new sleeve now.

Should I use never seize on the next one?
Old 05-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

[QUOTE=old31;1625402]Well I hate to pull the darn box out of the car again.

Nothing worked to loosen the sleeve, Hit it with a big hammer, put a chisel to it and hit the sleeve, penetrating oil, heat. Nothing worked. Not much left to the new sleeve now.

Should I use never seize on the next one?[/QUOTE]

Yes, for sure.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
old31

I got the sleeve and cone out by using an air hammer. The pieces are destroyed, but out.

All the new parts came from Snyders.

Originally I adjusted the box on the bench and it looked good. I had to make some minor adjustments and that is when i realized i could not turn the sleeve. I am glad its raining today.

I will try another vendor.