Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
harleycontracter

Default Body to subframe resource

I bought original A panels . I need to do patch panels ( better on or off the subframe? ) Then mount them on the subframe. Is Les Anfrews books a could source to do that ? The mounting on the subframe that is .
Thanks
harleycontracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Body to subframe resource

We need to clarify your comment. Model "A" bodies are mounted onto a frame (2nd photo). The bottom of the body has sub-rails AKA sub-frame 1st photo). Ideally, patch panels in the body involving the body's sub-rails are best done with the body off of the frame. However, patch panels can be installed with the body on the frame. It's just more difficult.Photos 3 & 4 show a cowl patch panel before & after the fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A LH Cowl Patch Panel 349kb.jpg (65.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Frame Assembly 791kb.jpg (98.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 190A RH Cowl Rust Through 995kb.jpg (65.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 190A RH Cowl Patch Panel 316kb.jpg (56.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 09-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Most of the steel body model A car bodies have sub rails or body sills as lower structure but they are attached with rivets and spot welds in some cases. The rear quarters are pinched around the bottom outer edge of the sub rail or sill. Many times a person will cut away a rusted portion of a panel adjoining the sill and find that the sill is also badly corroded out. The larger the affected area is, the more complicated the repair can be.

The doors and/or deck lids, if applicable, all have to have good fit and the body has to fit a straight frame well and still get alignment with the hood and radiator shell so it's a good idea to fit associated parts prior to welding stuff completely up. Tack stuff in place or use clamps, clecos, or what ever is necessary to get it attached and check it all for good fit before welding it all up.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
harleycontracter

I have to buy a complete subframe ( full sub rails and cross members) Will probably buy one welded together from Brookstone. I am using all original panels I have gathered. So to simplify. Best to body work ( patch panels) on quarters before they are mounted onto the sub rail frame ??? Yes?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #5
desotoguy

Each person has there own ideas as how to do the repairs. Personally I would build a support table for the subrails to elevate them at a height that is comfortable for working wile seated on a stool, work near eye level. I would start with the cowl, mount at the A pillar and cowl and repair the cowl as required, next the doors, then to the rear quarter panels. I would tack weld the repair panels until one side is complete, the alignment of the lower line of the body, bead if it a 30/31 is important as well as the top of the door at the quarter panel. I would not trust repairing a detached panel on a table. BTW, I will be rebuilding a rusty Roadster soon using the method described.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
harleycontracter

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Make sense Thank you
Old 10-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
rotorwrench

As was mentioned, a subframe has to fit the model A frame and a good square and straight frame is a must when building up a body from parts. A person needs to mount the subrails to the frame with the applicable body blocks as it will be mounted in service. I would use loose parts rather than welded. It's easier to adjust if it has some room for movement. All the body parts should be fit together first before anything is permanently attached. A person can use nuts & bolts, clecos, clamps, magnets, small screws with strips of metal or whatever it takes to temporarily attach all the body panels to the subframe rails or body sills. This is the best way to get all the parts to fit together well and have good gaps & proper movement of doors or deck lids as applicable.

What year and body design are you working on?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
harleycontracter

1931 Roadster
Old 10-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Check out the series of You Tube videos for the Ford Model A Sweet Heart Roadster by Iron Trap Garage. There is a lot of body repair footage in some of them. Here is a link to episode 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFs1xvUCx6s
Old 10-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
harleycontracter

One is being delivered from Brookville tomorrow Thanks all
Old 10-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #11
PotvinV8

rotorwrench explained exactly how I've done Early ford vehicles in the past (just did the entire floor, firewall, and trunk on a '40 Ford coupe). Starting with a nice, square frame is a must. Approach it like you would a house. Pour the foundation, nice and level, and build your structure from there.
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #12
Dave1931Pickup

You can never have enough Cleco's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201029_184608763.jpg (57.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201029_184711868_HDR.jpg (65.0 KB, 61 views)
Dave1931Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote