Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Standing Elk

Default tires

Ok I know that there will be a lot of opinions on which brand of tire is the best. However my question is, of you guys that run Coker or Universal which do you feel would be the best tire. My car will not get a high amount of miles but what miles it gets will mostly be a road speed. My budget sort of demands that I go with one of these two brands. Thanks
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: tires

I think all will wear out about the same except the expensive radials. I like the look of the Goodyear diamond treads or firestones, but the radials will probably last the longest.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

Find a set of zig-zag pattern Bufords/Allstate/Garfields all the same thing. These rayon tires never seem to wear out.

Ugly as Oprah sitting in a Jacuzzi but they sure last a long time!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
burner31

Can't really add much to this thread, as the tires on my '31 came from Sears, mounted sometime in '63-'64, no cracking or visible problems, had it up to 67 mph and lived to tell about it.
PO mounted them but never drove the car in 53 years, sat in the garage all that time, on jacks I assume.
On reflection I should probably take them off, collector items they are.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #5
DougVieyra

Others above have mentioned other brands, but that is not what you were asking. In your specific question regarding which of the two brands - Coker or Universal - is thought to be the better, I offer the following:

A hundred buyers/owners will have a hundred different experiences and a hundred different answers.

My experience with both Coker tires and Universal tires, lends me to believe that Coker Tires give the longer wear between the two brands, and would offer the better value.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:45 AM   #6
apbright

Mr. Doug Vieyra,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

To date, I have purchased Firestone-branded tires through Snyder's. Would you happen to know if those would be supplied by Coker or Universal?

For what it's worth, I have about 10k miles over two years on the current set on my car; they show pretty significant, mostly even tread wear (across all four); I have not rotated them during this period. I'm guessing they have another 5k mi life left.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Jeff/Illinois

You would think, that for what tires cost for a Model A, they would last longer than 10,000 miles.

Just replaced a set of Michelins on the everyday car, bought them from Tire Rack on sale Michelin is changing that model tire, for $650 and the first set of identical tires went for close to 70,000 miles and still have life left in them, not yet at the wear bar.

Let's see, $800 per set and more for Model A tires that are worn out in 10,000 miles, you'd have to buy 7 sets to make 70,000 miles at $800-$1,000 a set that works out to $5600-$7000 for tires. Plus they are a pain to change compared to modern tubeless
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
WHN

We have 4,000 plus miles on a set of Firestones from Mac’s. They show very little ware.

I will say that complete drive train has been rebuilt. Front end, new shocks, springs, wishbone, brakes, etc. I would like to think that makes a difference. Inflated to 35 psi. Enjoy.

Last edited by WHN; 01-03-2018 at 12:19 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
JohnLaVoy

Firestone, available from Coker, gives about 20,000 miles of wear, the Goodyears do a little better. The Excelsior radial tires, available from Coker, have a treadwear warranty of 50,000 miles so you wouldn't be replacing them as often.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
jboggess

I have a set of Universal Lucas tires on my car for about a year. They seem to work good and look to me.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
duke36

We 've got about 200 miles on a set of the Vietnam made Lucas $99 tires. Seem to run fine when warmed up and look OK. I think they are nylon, not polyester. They fit well in sidemounts @ 30 -32 psi.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
Phil Brown

Got 5000 plus miles on a set of the Lucas tires on the truck and not really showing any wear, a lot of miles left. they drive great and seem to be pretty good tire for the price
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Find a set of zig-zag pattern Bufords/Allstate/Garfields all the same thing. These rayon tires never seem to wear out.

Ugly as Oprah sitting in a Jacuzzi but they sure last a long time!

I agree, I've never worn one out . I've got an allstate that I got in the early 60s that still has good tread but lots of weather cracks . If it was nylon cord like the later versions I might would still run it .The older versions were rayon cord. Insa premium was the lowest priced tire on the planet when I bought a set in 93 , they are still holding up well but are no longer available .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
V4F

I buy for looks not wear . the cokers are expensive but so are others . personal choice I think .
Old 01-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #15
Sunnybrook Farm

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-78705/overview/
The Universals from Summit Racing were shipped free as were the tubes. I wouldn't run anything on the road much over 10 years old as tires have a life span especially rayon, I have heard of them blowing apart just sitting still.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

I agree , I don't reccomend Rayon cord even if its new old stock. I bought an Old NOS allstate On eBay I installed the tire on the spare tire mount on my speedster and aired it up. I went to wash the Go Jo of my hands and heard an explosion . For a second I wondered if somebody was shooting at me, It turned out to be the tire .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Firestone, available from Coker, gives about 20,000 miles of wear, the Goodyears do a little better. The Excelsior radial tires, available from Coker, have a treadwear warranty of 50,000 miles so you wouldn't be replacing them as often.
Really? I have a friend who put a set of those on his car and by 15,000 miles, one was dead smooth for about 15". The rest of the tyre was still OK as are the others. The dealer won't even talk to him. Having a warranty is no good if it is not honoured.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #18
RandyinUtah

Anybody have any problems with the 19 inch Goodyear white wall tires. I have seen two sets mounted on model a which the side walls start cracking up after two years regardless of the amount of miles. Both cars are garage kept and out of the sun unless on the road. Np cracking on the black wall sides and tread looks great.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:40 AM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
Anybody have any problems with the 19 inch Goodyear white wall tires. I have seen two sets mounted on model a which the side walls start cracking up after two years regardless of the amount of miles. Both cars are garage kept and out of the sun unless on the road. Np cracking on the black wall sides and tread looks great.
I have a set of 21" Firestones with a few years on them. The WWs are crazed and powdery but the black parts are fine so I keep driving (and cleaning). The white wall is only a thin layer of white "rubber" over the black case. While it may look pretty poor, it doesn't compromise ride or safety.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
ronn

taken from the Hamb................

Coker owns universal as well, actually they own almost all the repop tire companies. A quick phone call should get you the answer
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote