Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2024, 03:29 PM   #1
Pilotdave

Default Speedometer Cable Assembly Parts - Borg Warner Overdrive

I have a 1950's era Borg Warner overdrive (R10-B) in my SW Fordor. I'm looking for the bullet, shown in the attached photo, that connects the speedometer (square) cable/housing to the speedometer port on the overdrive unit. I'm also looking for the gear that connects the speedo cable to the drive gear inside the overdrive unit. I understand that the "standard" gear tooth count is 22, likely used for a 3.73 rear end. I have a high speed rear end so would likely need a lower tooth count to obtain accurate speedo readings.

So....any help with sources for these parts and advice on the needed gear tooth count would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bullet.jpg (21.9 KB, 12 views)
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:17 AM   #2
gary678*

Default Re: Speedometer Cable Assembly Parts - Borg Warner Overdrive

I bought a 1930 Model A Cabriolet in 2017 with a Borg WarnerT5 Transmission; the speedometer/odometer did not work. Someone put me in touch with Eddie Pruette; he makes custom Model A parts. I purchased a custom made 10' speedo cable from him, and I changed the gear to an 18 tooth. The speedo/odometer is now "spot-on" as verified by roadside radar units and highway mileage markers; he knows his stuff! His contact info a few years ago was: Eddie Pruette, Valley Machine Shop 7317 Norris Road, Bakersfield, CA 93308 Phone 661-589-9529
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
Pilotdave

Thanks very much, Gary. I actually found Eddie via a guy who knew a guy who.... the network is why I love this hobby - fellows always ready to help. I found a shop in Michigan that knew what I was looking for. Also found a gear set (17-22 teeth) online. Parts are ordered....will update after the work gets done, which will be after we return from a couple of Model A adventures in July.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:34 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Just learned that the gear design is a tricky part of this. Apparently the teeth on the drive gear inside the overdrive can be left-hand, right-hand, cut straight, etc, etc. The driven gear needs to match. I'm hoping that I can visualize the gear with a scope camera. And then find a source for what I need.

Certainly would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas about this aspect of my project!