Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #21
jefferzbooboo

Default Re: A couple of Model A questions

I had a medical issue that prevented me from working on the car, but I finally got back around to working on the car but had a few issues and more questions.
When I poured gas in the tank, luckily I only put in about 1/4 gallon, fuel started leaking out the carb. It's a Tillotson model X, has anyone used the rebuild kit from Little Dearborn? I ordered books through them, but I haven't ordered any parts.
Also, when I installed the battery, the tail light comes on and won't shut off no matter what position I have the key at. I can use the key to crank the engine so I'm thinking it's not the ignition switch. Anyone have any ideas?
jefferzbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really looking forward to getting it to run again. I put steel wool in all open holes awhile ago, including exhaust, and everything is were I left it so I don't think the mice got into anything besides the top of the motor and the cab doesn't smell. I traced all the wires and didn't see any bare wires.
I ordered the Service Bulletins, Owners Manual, Model A Mechanics Handbook, a fan belt, and an air filter element for it this morning.
I think I'm going to take off the trunk, I don't really like the looks of it and the chrome is pitted and starting to rust pretty bad.
Thanks again everyone for the help. You guys have been more than helpful.
I'm with you trunks just do not look good on the A's.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

The key is wired ORIGINALLY to just connect the coil to the points, and should have nothing to do with operating the starter. On the Model A all circuits are always "hot" (have 6 volts available). Your brake pedal may not be returning to the full OFF position, or the switch may be shorted and keeping the brake light on.

The carb kit is probably the same kit from each vendor and should be fine for the carb rebuild. The gas leaking from the carb is most likely a stuck needle and seat from setting unused for so long. Ethanol in the gas greatly increases such problems. The gas valve under the tank can be turned off to stop the flow. For the gas to flow to the carb the gas tank valve handle should point up and down, as horizontal is OFF.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 08-29-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #24
bobv

Is the light switch on the steering wheel in the parking light position? The lights are not controlled by the ignition switch.
bobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

When you said the taillight comes on, I was thinking brake light. If it is the taillight, then the parking or headlights should also be on, unless some wiring is messed up.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
Chris in WNC

disconnect 1 wire from the brake light switch (under the car at the frame crossmember near the brake cross shafts) that will likely turn off the "tail light".......

you need a mentor to guide you through this, either another FordBarner or a local club guy. will save you LOTS of time and money, i.e. fewer wild goose chases and unneeded parts purchases..........
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #27
Lowell Fast

What is the serial # on the left side of the engine block?
I would buy some wiring harnesses if the existing sets look "shaggy". The color coding will help you understand the wiring diagrams you obtain.
Lowell Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Add an owners manual to your list of books to buy.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #29
Super88

I have to agree with the recommendations to obtain the Les Andrews books. They have a wealth of information and are easy to understand.

It would be well worth your time to go over the vehicle and make sure all of the fasteners are snug. After my father passed I acquired the tudor he was restoring. I've found more than one fastener that I'm sure he was going to get back to, but somehow over looked.

I also agree with the recommendations to put some miles on it! You have a great vehicle to start with and should enjoy it.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
montanafordman

Whoa thread revival here! Notice the OP hasn't posted in over a year?? I see jefferzbooboo and BetsyModelA (poster in another thread) both live in ND and are only a couple hours apart, I hope maybe they could collaborate on their issues? I wonder how the OP came out with getting his A going and why he hasn't been back?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Les Andrews Model A Mechanics Handbook
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
Whoa thread revival here! Notice the OP hasn't posted in over a year?? I see jefferzbooboo and BetsyModelA (poster in another thread) both live in ND and are only a couple hours apart, I hope maybe they could collaborate on their issues? I wonder how the OP came out with getting his A going and why he hasn't been back?
DAMN, I usually catch that.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #33
Marshall57

If this car hasn't been running in 7 years, please take extra care with it, it doesn't take much to change a really good engine into a boat anchor. Drain the oil and check it for water and sludge before even turning it over. Drain some water from the petcock on the bottom radiator hose and check it, hopefully there is water and antifreeze, if nothing is there the story could be good or bad.
If all looks good, pull the plugs and put a few drops of oil down the holes and turn it over without the plugs in it, to see if there is any problems of a ring sticking due to moisture in a cylinder, and do this by hand. If the engine is frozen, don't panic because there are other things you can try.
Next is the battery and its connections, a seven year or older battery is going to give you trouble, save yourself some headache and just get a fresh one. Check and clean all the connections and you will eliminate most of the gremlins.

If you have new oil, the engine turns over by hand with no problems and you have replaced and checked the fuel you will only have to put a drop of oil in the distributor oiler before the engine is ready to try.

I would look at that choke rod assembly also, judging by the pictures.

Good luck, it is a beautiful car, and by the way you have stumbled onto the greatest wealth of knowledge I know of here at ford barn.

A good club is great for hands on help and social reinforcement, but for direction, points of view and overall knowlage, this site is unmatched.

Please keep in mind that my list might not be complete, so keep reading and studying for yourself.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

On the distributor oiler I would fill it until it's ready to overflow. You can't overoil it.

If you have an aftermarket shaft with a hole in the top for oil, then you can overoil that one where the extra spilled oil can flow onto the cam and get into the points contacts.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #35
Mike V. Florida

5/26/12 was the last post from this guy. Either he got it running and has no more questions or he no longer has it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #36
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
I had a medical issue that prevented me from working on the car, but I finally got back around to working on the car but had a few issues and more questions.
When I poured gas in the tank, luckily I only put in about 1/4 gallon, fuel started leaking out the carb. It's a Tillotson model X, has anyone used the rebuild kit from Little Dearborn? I ordered books through them, but I haven't ordered any parts.
Also, when I installed the battery, the tail light comes on and won't shut off no matter what position I have the key at. I can use the key to crank the engine so I'm thinking it's not the ignition switch[/SIZE]. Anyone have any ideas?
Old thread,sure, but, I can't crank mine with the key.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote