Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
Smitty

Default Main Bearing Poured Surface

In pouring main bearings I am getting some "pock mark" surface texture. This usually cleans up during line boring. Occasionally I will get a deeper crater...
I am using #2 Babbitt and pouring @950 deg. into a block heated with a propane grass burner torch bringing the block to about 400 deg. Using a Wilson pouring fixture and Mold-Pac as a damming material.

Any thoughts, is this normal or should I be looking at something to be corrected?

Thanks, Steve
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Main Bearing Poured Surface

Sounds like trapped air. I am assuming you are speaking of the casting in the block? While not ideal, if after peening it cleans up, then I would not worry.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Joe K

I have rebabbited a few older machines in my steam and gas engine interests. Usually to the method given by Fine Woodworking Magazine (January-Feb 1983 article by Bob Johnson)

Bob was a restorer for the Smithsonian, did a large portion of the machines of the "1976 Centennial of a Centennial" exhibition in the History & Technology Building of that era and later went into business for himself continuing the tradition of rebuilding antique machinery. He is now passed IIRC.

His recommendation was 80% bedding with Babbitt scrapers and bluing. If you get to that point you pretty much have it covered.

Line boring/hone/bedding should be considerably better than that. Like a single or two imperfections are probably fine. You can call them "oil pockets."

Joe K
Old 09-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Smitty

Thanks, I poured the block main again this morning and all looks fine. Will definitely clean-up in the line bore. Pouring Babbitt for me at least is kind of a Zen thing... Must be well rested and in the good frame of mind. Sort of like my Model A notices cooler weather before I do. Wants a little richer mixture when starting.
Steve
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
rotorwrench

All I know is that the babbitt has to be the right temperature and poured quickly from both sides. KR Wilson claimed that the pour could be done with a cold block but they also stressed using the Ford type babbitt even in their 1926 catalog (model T era) and that it be the correct temperature. It has to be able to get the gases out of the mold as it's poured.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote