Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #21
just plain bill

Default Re: Stroked 4 banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
My thoughts are just the opposite of yours. Additional Stroke typically makes more Torque. In 'Hill Climbing', and in "around town driving", torque is your friend. Torque is what "pulls". The more, the better.

In a typical flathead configuration, the breathing IS lacking, ...by using a longer rod, --or with a longer stroke (shorter rod), there is more dwell time with the piston which helps with volumetric efficiency. Slower RPM engines (--such as a Model-A/B with 3 main bearings) do not like high(er) RPMs and as such, are better (longevity, reliability, etc.) when they are configured to take advantage of torque.

FWIW, Scat will make a counterweighted billet crank in any pin size and any stroke (within reason) that you want for roughly $1300.00. The trick then is to find a piston with a pin height that takes advantage of the long rod. New forged pistons with better pin diameter and location can be had for roughly $200.00 a piece. Add for good quality pins.

With a stock engine's B & S, you get roughly 200 cubic inches of displacement. With a .125" overbore and a ¼" stroke, the cubic inches moves up to about 226 inches, so those who subscribe to the saying of "no substitute for cubic inches", should like that number!
I think you are about $500 low on Scat stroker crank. My last set of pistons from J and E for a stroker were around $380 for the set including pins.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote