Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
RT

Default Re: Selling 1931 Deluxe Tudor 55B

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
I'm with the outer guys find some were to keep the car I'm with the outher guys I' in north west Mo we have a great club here if you need help P M me some of the guys can get it going and up on jacks Leave it were it is until you get situated then bring it n home you will regret getttin red of it have a blessed day
This is a seriously kind gesture.

What you guys are saying has not fallen on deaf ears, I have quite a bit to consider.

Hanging onto it seems much more manageable knowing that there is such a kind and knowledgable group of people out there.

Will keep you posted.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
Tiny

I vote keep it. I have two of my grandfathers cars. I don't really want them but can't seem to part with them, 68 Cougars. I wish I had my other grandfathers 32 Auburn that he sold when he got shipped overseas in 43'.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
bikejunk

If you cant make the finances work right now is their someone in the family that can? The money you get for the car will vanish in no time believe me
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #24
ctvpa

Keep it, you will regret selling it. Don't restore it, just go through it and make it safe. It's worth more that way, and it is wonderful. You don't have to do it now. A self storage area is cheap, often you can find garage space in the neighbor hood.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
oliverguy

I'm sure that your grandfather would likely give you the car if you expressed interest. Or maybe you could earn it by doing some chores for the car. For what the car is worth, it will not make a dent in your student loan. I paid off my wife's associate degree and it took me 10 years. At the same time I enjoyed life by having an antique car. That being said, if you truley are not interested and it's in good condition, someone will snap it up for the right price.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #26
DGNY

One more vote for retaining it. Can't tell you what it would have meant to me to have the '31 A my dad parted with, that had been in family since 1953.

They don't eat much in storage and are near-impossible to replace with like-condition vehicle, for what you can get in sales price. AND - a 'replacement' will never have the abiding family association.

Best regards,

Dyson
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
kp

Keep it if at all possible.I now own a 31 model A ,first one I ever had but wish many times I had kept the 32 Ford 2 door I owned. BUt I also wish I had kept ever gun I owned. Hard times make you let go of lot of things and I know how that is .
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #28
1930artdeco

I am in agreement with everybody else here about keeping her in the family. Do whatever you have to keep her. And to maybe scare you a bit think of it this way. If you sell her, what is to say that someone won't hot rod her. Then you really will be kicking yourself.

Mike
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
jm29henry

If you have to sell it a good source would be to call the model a restorers club and ask them for a phone number for one of the local chapter near you .model a people always seem to want to help other model a people some one from one of those club that live near you will help you. MARC phone number is 1-734-427-9050 hope this helps just another opion
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #30
insomniacshotrods

Hope you keep it, i got a loan for my model a and was able to use the car as the collateral so no money down. Cheap payments and insurance. These cars are a blast to drive and to own in my opinion,and to have the connection with your grandfather would be priceless. Im sure he would love a ride in it again.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #31
C4engr

RT,
I totally have to agree with the many A'ers that posted... DO WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE TO KEEP THE CAR..
As mentioned there is a big trend going on today. Many guys are searching the globe to find the actual car that they owned in high school or the actual family car (Grandpa's).. Everything from T's to Classic cars to Hot Rods.

I can assure you if it sells, within one year you will be kicking yourself or someone else will be putting a size 10 boot in your bootie..

There are too many resources out there that support the Model A. Local club members are chomping at the bit to help someone like you to get Grandpa's A on the road... This is what we live for.. kicking the old Model A tire..

Good Luck on your decision...
Get Grandpa alone and whisper to him you would like to have the car and ask Grandpa, How can we make this happen..?

Rog..
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #32
SeaSlugs

yes, sounds like you and your grandpa are close - id express interest in keeping it and ask him about any stories he could tell you (im sure he learned to drive on it and probably has some wild stories from his teen years with it haha) is there a reason to sell it besides your grandpa wants to see it go somewhere nice? i bet it would tickle him pink if you said you want it. if your grandpa is able maybe have him come out to the garage with you and have him teach you things about it.

i have my great grandpas AA truck. its just neat knowing the steering wheel and the view out of the dash is what my great grandfather and grandpa were holding onto and looking out over all those years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0533.jpg (90.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #33
BudP

When someone you love is gone, sitting in their driver's seat, holding the steering wheel they held, bending over the fender they bent over to adjust the idle on the carb, etc. - that is as close as you can be to that person. There is no substitute. It's certainly worth minimizing a loan payment for many years to have that closeness to something someone dear to you treasured enough to keep it for many years.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #34
jr-41ford

I agree with the others, keep it.

I'm planning on passing on my Model A to my 8 yo grandson, he loves the Model A.

I have a 1941 Ford Tudor street rod, 12 yo grand daughter wants it. If I still have it, she'll get it, but I'm hoping to sell it this year and buy another pre-1948 street rod. She can have that.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #35
swo4rd

RT, The 55BDLX TUDOR started sales in May or June of 1931. The standard features on the car were deluxe mohair interior, rear arm rests, grab loops on the door jamb pillar, deluxe escutcheon on the interior door handles and window risers, carpeting, butler finished instrument panel, brake handle and gear shift knob, cowl lights and a standard trunk rack with a driver side fender mounted spare. Now, before that time, I have seen at least three 55Bs that were "deluxified" by dealer add ons of any number of the cited features.

From the pics, it looks like you have a 30 Tudor with a late 29 finish scheme...could that be? I'm curious...is the paint finish is original or was it a close reproduction of the original?

If it is all original, I would like to talk with you personally about buying it to conserve, and not disassemble for restoration. PM me with your phone number and I will talk with you about it.

Swofford
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 AM   #36
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Do not, under any circumstances, sell that car. You will be wicked wicked sorry in a short period of time. You will be selling his soul. It is a one-family super-nice original car. They are only original once. Do NOT restore it. Do not let anyone convince you to restore it or sell it. Get it running and safe to operate (brakes etc). You have an offer from a local club to help you with the preservation that is needed now until you are able to work on it or have it worked on. If you are mechanically minded see if you can shadow a knowledgeable club member to learn the car mechanically. You need to forget all about what you know mechanically about modern cars and start over back in time, where it all began.

If you were here in Texas I would show you how to maintain/operate/care for the car at no charge whatever. You could work on it free in my shop anytime. You will find others out there like that, especially since this is such a rare set of circumstances.

Read post #33 then re-read it about 20 times and let it sink in. It is worth way more than a number on a piece of paper. Your grandfather was a steward for so many years; now it is your turn.

None of us owns any of our cars. We pay for the privilege of being stewards for these beautiful examples of automotive history. Modern cars are just so much throw-away junk compared to a Model A or other vintage car.

keep us posted.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #37
klawockvet

I agree completely with Post 33 and 36. Read them over and over, especially 33. If you were in or near me you would have access to my shop and storage for free. I'm sure there are others in your area willing to help in the same way. You are blessed with an opportunity of a lifetime, don't let it slip away. I let a car go about 10 years ago that I had owned since 1957. It was the stupidest thing I ever did and it went to a member of the family but I'm still depressed over it as it was turned into a street rod.

And finally be sure to delve into your Grandfather's 95 year old memory about all things car related. The roads, the gas stations, the motels and roadhouses, etc, etc. I think we all regret not listening to the old guys as much as we could have. Take a recorder with you and get all that info regarding the car and keep it. Between the tapes and the car you will have your GF with you forever.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #38
chiliman

Check out Northwest Missouri Model A Club they love to take on projects have a blessed day Chili in Norwest Mo
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #39
cradlescyth

Keep the car !!!!!

You will always have debt of some kind but never again get a chance at Grandads car.

To thine owneself be true
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #40
jimvette59

swo4d I think you are correct , as I read it was to compete with Chevrolet. This is mine it is a late 31 tudor deluxe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4721.JPG (183.0 KB, 7 views)
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote