Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #21
QGolden

Default Re: My Biggest Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've been wondering what is a foolproof way to make sure my things go where I want them to go? .
My wife's Grandfather was a wise old Kentuckian Gentleman. Towards the end of his life, (he knew it was coming), he requested that all the people in his life come to see him on a specific date. There we sat in his living room, all of the grandchildren and spouses. He sat on his couch with his attorney, and wrote checks, signed over titles, deeds, etc to his entire estate. He tailored the distribution accordingly to what he thought of people and made no bones about it. So and so borrowed money from him and never paid it back, his amount was adjusted to cover the debt. Another was a layabout and never would amount to nothin' got a beat up Tin Boat. His worthless Brother got the Trailer to that same boat. But there were others who loved him and supported him, they left with good amounts or nice pieces of property. The house was deeded to his Son, and guaranteed him life tenancy, it was stipulated that some furniture and things had to stay where they were until he passed, but by the end of the afternoon, he was basically penny-less. No income except his SSI and Pension. Everyone knew where they stood and who was to get what.

The last thing he did was write a check to the Lawyer who presided over the proceedings. When he handed him the check he said, "Your Bill is paid in full, this Estate is the one Teat you ain't a gonna' suck the life out of!"

That was nearly 30 years ago. He died a few months later. One of those people I knew for a short time, but made a huge impact on me. I was very fond of him. The Summer my wife and I got married we used to go to see him, and him and I would sit under a huge Oak in his back yard at the table until late into the night and drink shine and just chew the fat, ( and a little Tobacco).

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #22
Bob-A

Wink Re: My Biggest Fear

In Florida make sure you put the "or" between both owners names of the vehicle and not "and". Also, I've been told you can incorporate which puts an ironclad lock on what you want done to your possessions. Best check with a lawyer.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #23
jrelliott

Just be glad you are not in Louisiana. When my father died and living in Louisiana, had to sign a letter from the lawyers saying I would not take my portion of the estate before my mom got anything. They use the Nepolianiac Law that says everything goes to the oldest son. They even had a will and everything. When my mom passed away, sister and I split down the middle exactly equal and no complaints form either. That is the way it is desirable.
Do suggest getting a Trust set up and things all set up Powers of Attorney, for both money and medical. Another thing that makes things easy, is the person that takes care of the finances in case you cannot has their name on all the accounts long before anything happens.
My kids do not want my A and the wife and I are giving it to the museum in Troutdale, OR. They have a neat museum there that all the planes, cycles and autos run. Almost all of the vehicles are like original.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #24
silversink

I grew up farming just outside Troutdale and never new they had a museum. I now live 50 miles from there and will have to go see what's up. I've been contemplating donating several pieces including a car and truck to the museum in Brooks Oregon where the Steam up is held every year, they are putting together a antique car and motorcycle building there. I have a grand daughter who is 7 now but has been my shop girl every since she could walk. she loves helping G-Paw work on old cars and trucks so she will defiantly get something special, the other kids could care less, which is ok.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #25
Terry,NJ

To all, Beware of the Power of Attorney! This is a most powerful instrument! In some states (NJ) you can direct ALL of someone's assets with a signature. Change names on Bill of sales, change beneficiary on life ins. policies, buy and sell property, anything! Mom thought it was just to pay her bills, she didn't know. It just hastened her death when I told her what my aunt was doing with her stuff (Little did I know) My research has shown me (NJ state Library, "Compendium of states Model Laws") that Tennessee has the best and most limited P.O.A. in the country. About all you can do with it is Pay the bills. You can't change the names on anything. I tried to get my NJ Assy Man to put a revised law into the hopper, But each time they drew one up, it included those provisions that I wanted eliminated. They wouldn't budge on this. So it's just as bad as it ever was in NJ.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

QGolden had the very best answer to stop that nonsense, with the story of that fellow in Kentucky.

Best I've heard.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mike,

No end to sad inheritance stories.

I shared an office building with a very respectable young attorney for 15 years who told me time after time that he could not believe the greed of family members when someone either dies or is about to die.

One thing he told was to be concerned not only with family, but with some of the fake or real "Minister/Real Estate Agents" who go prowling around various hospitals, reading & praying with the terminally ill & at times trying to sell the elderly persons a piece of property in Heaven by making donations.

When the person dies, the family is amazed to find out not only that the minister had bank approval to sign checks, but they found out that they bought a church in addition to not being mentioned in the will.

If you are only worried about your Model A & parts, my guess is that most of these types of preacher guys are not too interested in Model A's or Model A parts; too time consuming to get rid of -- besides, don't think any of us ever saw a rebuilt Model A Zenith carburetor or a vacuum wiper in a church collection plate.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-01-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #28
Lee Mitch

My kids do not want my A and the wife and I are giving it to the museum in Troutdale, OR. They have a neat museum there that all the planes, cycles and autos run. Almost all of the vehicles are like original.[/QUOTE]

I live and drive through here daily and don't know of it. It sounds like the museum in Hood River, down the Columbia 45 miles or so. A great place!
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #29
Growley bear

I plan to sell or give everything away before I die.
My biggest fear is that I will die before I have disposed of it all.
Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #30
Tim Armstrong

I am sure 2 people will be at my funeral, the preacher and the auctioneer. MY wife will be in Hawaii. I won't care.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote