Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default What correct screws and/or fasteners are needed?

For those who are trying to restore with semi-authentic fasteners, what are the ones that we know are not being manufactured at the moment?

With the uncertainty of what is going to happen to Roy's business, I am trying to look ahead to places I can source some of the more popular items. After speaking with a couple of vendors, it seems there are many that are manufacturing a piece here and there, and some have said they are getting low on inventory and probably won't have another run made. When comparing prices of restoring fasteners to having them manufactured, it appears the cost may be a little less to have them made.

For example, I would like to have a small run of Nickel-plated brass instrument panel screws with the correct sized head made. Doc had a run of those made a year or so before he passed and I purchased several sets from him but I am out of those. The same for Nickel-plated Dash Rail screws and Stanchion screws. I realize these are available in stainless but I am looking for something a tad more authentic-looking. I would like to also find a source for authentic looking Nickel-plated interior screws in the proper sizes.

Matter of fact, it might be nice to compile a list of the most common fasteners and who presently is manufacturing/supplying the correct thick head Raven, Unfinished bolts, nuts & washers, and Nickel-plated interior fasteners, -and which ones are needed that aren't being made.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
ericr

Default Re: What correct screws and/or fasteners are needed?

do you think there would ever be a market for original open car door upholstery panel nails or do you think the current metal screws are too utilitarian?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
MikeK

Headlamp focus screws. Originals had a head one wire size larger with a much thinner edge between the oval top and the countersink. They fit the indent in the shell perfectly. You can spot the current repops a mile away. It would be nice if the 28-29's were Watts Nickel plate and the 30-31's Allegheny. Making them the correct length would help, too. And try making the springs to print!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Fhane

Is anybody making the body screws (3) for Tillotson carburetor?
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
Badpuppy

I noticed the original #12-24 screws used on cowl, floorboard, rumble and radiator areas are tapered threads, raven finish (I guess). I ordered a set for the cowl since it was missing a couple. The repops have smaller, thicker heads (cheaper steel) and square ends, powder coat. Original screw heads are fully 3/8" dia. and thinner (higher grade). The "shakeproof" washers (ISLW) provided are also smaller and don't fit well.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
ericr

Marco's site shows that the original floorboard washers were not like the ones being sold today.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Headlamp focus screws. Originals had a head one wire size larger with a much thinner edge between the oval top and the countersink. They fit the indent in the shell perfectly. You can spot the current repops a mile away. It would be nice if the 28-29's were Watts Nickel plate and the 30-31's Allegheny. Making them the correct length would help, too. And try making the springs to print!

Yes Mike, you are correct on those. I probably won't try to do the springs as I am only going to make a small run with a CNC lathe. Not sure how to do the slot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
I noticed the original #12-24 screws used on cowl, floorboard, rumble and radiator areas are tapered threads, raven finish (I guess). I ordered a set for the cowl since it was missing a couple. The repops have smaller, thicker heads (cheaper steel) and square ends, powder coat. Original screw heads are fully 3/8" dia. and thinner (higher grade). The "shakeproof" washers (ISLW) provided are also smaller and don't fit well.

True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Marco's site shows that the original floorboard washers were not like the ones being sold today.

Yes. I probably won't do those simply because you would need a stamping machine and dies.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
SteveB31

Brent- what is going to happen with Roy’s business?
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
figment

I understand that someone is or was going to make the special washers for the floorboard screws , I sent him a sample of the original . Now I don't remember who it was . Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Oldbluoval

When I make Very small runs of things I then use a slotting saw to cut the screwdriver slot.
Not practical if making a bunch as you have to mount each item in a mill and slot it.
Time consuming
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote