Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #61
scooder

Default Re: No. 7 Cyl never gives evidence of a power stroke on '46 Flathead

With the intake off, check the integrity of the gasket. I've had similar stuff happen. The intake gasket inside the valve chamber had a small bit missing, Big vacuum leak, spraying the manifold from the outside won't find this.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #62
WestCoast

check the cam lobe for # 7 piston to see if its worn and not opening the points to let the plug fire
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #63
Frank Miller

Did you ever get the mechanic to open this up? I'm sure all who took time to post would like to know what happened.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #64
ronchamblin

Well .... first, thanks for all the input from you Ford persons. I have to say that all that troubleshooting was done under the assumption that the engine rebuilder assigned someone experienced with old flatheads to rebuild my '46 flathead, which is in an otherwise original '34 Ford 4-door sedan.

All the testing, as describe above, caused me to finally remove the intake manifold to check the valve adjustments. I discovered that the No. 7 cylinder exhaust valve never closed, as it had a zero clearance. Therefore, during the intake stroke, the air into the cylinder came from the exhaust manifold instead of from the intake manifold. That explains why I never had a wet plug. The valves should be .014" and .016". I discovered several at .065", and at least one had no clearance at all. Apparently this fellow had no clue about these lifters, which have to be adjusted via the cap screw in the top.

Upon informing the rebuilder of my discovery, he said that "People make mistakes". I suggested to him that in the future, if he is not sure of a workers abilities, he should at least check the work to ensure perfection. I took me about four hours to set the valves properly. The engine runs good now.

Again, thanks to all you fellows for the great input on the problem. One assumes rebuilders know about proper valve adjusting.
ronchamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #65
slowforty

Evidently picking that rebuilder was a mistake also.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #66
tubman

I had the same kind of experience with a local rebuilder who also had a "stellar reputation" with an O/T build. The carburetor had multiple problems and he had installed a high-volume, high pressure oil pump that completely overwhelmed the system and caused multiple problems.

My take away from all of this is to avoid guys that say they build "High Performance" engines like the plague. Restoration folks and the local NAPA machine shop are a better bet.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #67
ronchamblin

I usually do my own rebuilds but am trapped with running my business these days ... no time for fun stuff like rebuilds. Regarding selecting a rebuild place, I made an assumption that anyone working at an engine shop would have the experience allowing him to know that you must adjust this type of lifter so as to achieve the proper clearances. It amazed me that the shop owner didn't know that this worker was ignorant about adjustments. This is first level stuff in my view. Oh well. I enjoyed the process of troubleshooting the problem from the beginning. Understandable somewhat. On occasion one of my workers will do something that makes me think ... What was going on in this person's mind?. Well... let's admit that not everybody is as smart as us Ford Barn guys.
ronchamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #68
Frank Miller

For the record this has nothing to do with flatheads as much as it does solid lifter cams and some hydraulic. Lifters need to be adjusted. Some are screw adjustments and some are shims. It is possible to get one or two not perfect but it looks like this guy was completely clueless.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #69
Veeder

Make sure you are getting a spark from the wire to the plug with it installed. Also with the plug installed measure the resistance from the plug to the block should be 0 ohms. Just on a wild chance the plug is not grounded when installed
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #70
Veeder

Blow off my response didn't get to the end of the thread........
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote