Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #41
hardtimes

Default Re: Ohv

Hey Tim,
SBCs were/are hardly comparable to our old As/Bs , in any way, other than both being internal combustion machines.

Relative to Iron vs Aluminum use on A/B engine.
Aluminum is known to be a much better conductor of heat(than iron)...away from the source of the heat. Heat is the source of power in the A/B combustion chambers. Iron heads do not allow for the quick flow of heat from the combustion chamber as aluminum heads do. Thus, with equal cr heads of iron and aluminum, iron will make better use of whatever heat is produced in the comb chamber. IMO, you would have to have higher cr alum head to produce same power as a high cr iron head. Fairly simple.

Last edited by hardtimes; 04-28-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: ........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:21 PM   #42
Tom Wesenberg

I always thought it would be nice to have some kind of a thermal coating for the top of the piston to make the engine more efficient.
I wonder if it's been tried?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #43
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I always thought it would be nice to have some kind of a thermal coating for the top of the piston to make the engine more efficient.
I wonder if it's been tried?
Hey Tom,
Yes, it is done and has been for awhile now. Not sure of anything anymore, but the guy who offers such is in Texas (?). I thing that the maker of the Donovan block, also offers such coating service. Ceramic ?
Or was that a dream I had
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #44
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tom,
Yes, it is done and has been for awhile now. Not sure of anything anymore, but the guy who offers such is in Texas (?). I thing that the maker of the Donovan block, also offers such coating service. Ceramic ?
Or was that a dream I had
"Bored and Stroked" on the early V8 forum offers ceramic coatings.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #45
waxhead

Tod, I know you have been busy working on your new blocks, but any updates on the OHV conversions ??
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #46
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
Tod, I know you have been busy working on your new blocks, but any updates on the OHV conversions ??
The design work is pretty far along. I had to stop due to getting some pattern work that requires most of my computer time.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #47
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
The basic head casting and machining is the easy part. Now, what will we use for valves, rockers, rocker cover, pushrods, gaskets, etc? '32 Buick (or whatever was used) rocker arms are no longer in every salvage yard. It should be easy to modify a casting to use currently available parts.
So maybe either offer the head as a complete kit or with a parts list for the builder to gather his own parts.
On my home built head I used roller rockers. You can use valves from some other engine. Mine came from a NASCAR engine but there are a lot of valves out there that would work. You can get push rods made to order not a big deal.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #48
100IH

Making copies of old technology keeps the nostalgia in all of us alive. Adding modifications that can't be seen keeps everyone happy. I suggest looking at modern examples of what works well. It's a new world with individual intake runners, pent roof combustion chambers, smaller ports at steeper angles to the valve stem, cross flow of course and use of aluminum that reflects the heat back into the chamber and flat top pistons with the smallest surface area so as to not rob heat from the chamber. Actually these are the concepts that Leo Gossen used as far back as the late 20's and Joe Gemsa resurrected in the 60"s. I guess these ideas are not as new as one might think - But they have been universally adopted successfully as the efficient norm today. Too bad five main cranks are so costly.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote