Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #41
Paul from Maine

Default Re: How fast should I drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
My Father-In-Law was recently stopped by the State Patrol for driving 40 mph on a 4 lane for going too slow. (Thank you State Trooper). Later he was stopped for going 15 mph on another 4 lane at midnight headed away from home. Police brought him home that time. Then he scraped a guard rail as he was being pulled over by another police jurisdiction for wavering all over the road. Delivered by Police again.

The most recent, I received a call from State Police 55 miles away asking that we come and get him at 2:30 am, in a snowstorm. (father-in-law was confused). My wife and I got him home at 5:30 am, then went back for his car. We still have it locked up........He's 93.

Bottom Line..Drive what you're able to do but be reasonable and SAFE.
Maybe he had the ignition advanced so far he couldn't make the old Ford go any faster than 40 mph. As for the weaving, I would check out his spindle bolts. Be a good son-in-law, fix up the poor old gent's Model A and offer to chauffeur him around in the old Ford whenever its snowing at night. You can't blame a 93 year old for heading the wrong way at night because even those 50 cp bulbs are pretty dim unless every thing is set up just right. Get him a set of sealed beams or halogens or be prepared to chauffeur him after dark. Would you want your son-in-law locking up your Model A when you turn 93?
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #42
ed stanley

If you want to go 60 + mph, I would recommend a Toyota Camry. Don't mean any rudeness here to anyone, but these Model A Fords were made from 1928 thru 1931. They are durable cars that will perform against all odds. They can be run on dirt roads, keep running when all worn out, and are pretty easily maintained. My Model As seem to run pretty easily at 42 - 45 mph. I might even be able to stop them at that speed. Not sure why we want to force a car that was produced 80 years ago to act like todays cars. What's the point? Enjoy them as they are - be safe and stay off the super highways - Model As weren't designed or built for that.
ed stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #43
bobpo

to Paul from Maine,

My Father In Law was driving a 2003 Malibu and he has Alzheimers. Maybe I should have mentioned that factor. But he does like to talk about the '30 coupe he used to have....
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #44
Maclab58

Got her out again tonight, ran a max of 45mph, I agree that is a comfortable cruising speed. I appreciate the advice! I told my wife about all the responses, she got quite a giggle out of it!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #45
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
Hate to admit it but she seems to like the 45-50 mph the best. put about 100 miles on her this weekend. what a stress reliever!
The car does not care how fast it goes. The driver is the one that feels more comfortable. Today we are not use to the sound of the engine revving higher than modern cars. Also the shocks on some of these cars are not working like they should, worn out brakes, and steering.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #46
Seth Swoboda

Drive as fast as you want, it's your car. I suggest the speed limit unless you don't mind paying a speeding ticket.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote