Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
GOSFAST

Default Cylinder Head Fastener Options

I've gotten a few e-mails about other types of cylinder head fasteners since the previous post on this subject.

I would pass this along about a presently on-going build here.

On a few builds over the years we've used some Allen-head bolts in conjunction with the head bolt washers. Only difference we use .125" thick washers with this setup. Between the bolt lengths we order and the washer .125" thickness it works well.

These bolts are also black-ox coated. The washers are from ARP. This is more for aluminum heads but can be used on the OEM iron pieces!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This setup is for anyone wanting a "different" look, they will not be OEM appearing! Here's a few shots on some early Edelbrock heads. These heads will also be getting an I.D. "plaque" installed (seen behind the head), on the machined section!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Edelbrocks-Fasteners A.JPG (79.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Edelbrocks-Fasteners B.JPG (73.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Edelbrocks-Fasteners C.JPG (79.8 KB, 150 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Cylinder Head Fastener Options

I like the look.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
RalphM

I have always liked Allen head fasteners, never thought they belonged on antique cars, but that does look good!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
vilanar

Looks great. I wish there was bolts available with black coating that will last.
In our semi trucks there is black bolts everywhere that are still black after million
kilometers(600 000 miles) , haven´t solved out what that coating is ......
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

In my opinion--the coolest, non-stock, head fasteners are the flange head 12 point cap screws. No holes to fill with dust, dirt, and crud and a unique appearance.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Ross F-1

The Euro's are fond of "triple-square" head bolts, check them out. Very hard to strip out compared to Allens. They look like 12-pts but aren't. (Yet another set of wrenches, gacckk!)

Old 04-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
GOSFAST

We are in the process right now of putting some head bolt kits that will be reasonably priced.

I have hundreds of bolts, various lengths, coming in the next few weeks.

I put this up here already, we are an authorized ARP dealer but feel as though their kits are still a bit on the pricey side. We've sold a number of their head stud kits, not bolts, just recently. We purchase their fasteners in bulk and put the kits together, this helps some with the price and gives us some latitude with the available lengths. Many prepackaged kits end up with the incorrect lengths occasionally.

I will be following up with this in the next couple weeks.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I don't have enough of the allen-headed bolts to put these kits together yet, this is one package we're working on now.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
kurtis v-8-60

Do you have a kit for ford v-8-60 with Edelbrock?
kurtis v-8-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:04 AM   #9
Binx

I had to buy one of those triple square internal drives from Snap-On guy. He was happy...I wasn't.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 AM   #10
flatheadmurre

How about torx ?
Not a traditional look but more common sockets at least.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #11
JWL
Member Emeritus

I think Ross's picture confused the issue. The flange head 12 point cap screw is NOT an internal drive. It uses common/standard SAE wrench sizes. Sorry I am not a picture poster.

JWL:
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #12
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis v-8-60 View Post
Do you have a kit for ford v-8-60 with Edelbrock?
Hi Kurtis, not as a stocking number, we put all our own kits together here, most use all ARP fasteners, a few don't.

Most likely not a problem building your kit, just need sizes/dimensions.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you like, feel free to get back to me with the numbers. I can be reached faster with an e-mail. [email protected]
Old 04-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #13
Bored&Stroked

The big problem I have with ALL the black oxide fasteners is that they will rust - so what looks great today, looks like hell a year from now (ARPs, Allen heads, you name it). And I've tried the 'paint them' approach - slightly better, but the paint will chip and eventually has issues after multiple re-torques, etc..

I recently bought the extremely pricey set of ARP studs with the hardened stainless acorn-style nuts and washers . . . this setup really looks great, but it also was a lot of money. It is the best looking head fastener package I've ever used or created - nothing really better in my mind.

In the end, I guess everything costs money - just depends how much and where you want to spend it.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #14
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The big problem I have with ALL the black oxide fasteners is that they will rust - so what looks great today, looks like hell a year from now (ARPs, Allen heads, you name it). And I've tried the 'paint them' approach - slightly better, but the paint will chip and eventually has issues after multiple re-torques, etc..

I recently bought the extremely pricey set of ARP studs with the hardened stainless acorn-style nuts and washers . . . this setup really looks great, but it also was a lot of money. It is the best looking head fastener package I've ever used or created - nothing really better in my mind.

In the end, I guess everything costs money - just depends how much and where you want to spend it.
I agree here, but even many of my own customers will not pay the ARP price for fasteners. Like I stated above we are W.D. supplier for all the ARP line and even at that price level these kits still aren't "cheap".

We are able to put our own kits together with the ARP components, the studs, nuts, and washers, but presently cannot supply the chrome covers. This may change in the near future, we have to wait and see??

We are able to sell the kits at a more comfortable price than ARP has listed on their website. Up till now they leave here in the 325.00/350.00 area. This gets 48 studs, 48 washers, and 48 nuts. All black-ox coated and very specific lengths.

With this option, assembling them here, it allows us to speak with each individual customer beforehand to confirm the actual lengths they require, often you find you don't get exactly what you need with prepackaged kits. This is the reason above when asked about a kit for the "60" V-8 I replied that all I really needed was the lengths required. Am not at all familiar with that unit?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I would just add also that the Chrome nuts supplied will probably show aging over a period of time! We sell a bunch of the black-ox coated intake bolts for all mfrs and haven't had any real complaints on this issue. Most find their way on aluminum intakes. Then there is always the "stainless" route, we've sold a bunch of these, also ARP's, mostly head bolts for the BBC line! The "stainless" intake bolts and exhaust bolts are also good movers! They do stay fairly nice over time. The photo here shows how we keep some of the ARP fasteners in bulk containers. These are some stainless Chev header bolts and washers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARP SS Header Bolts-Washers Bulk.JPG (59.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #15
russcc

Be aware, if you get 3/8" washers for V8 60 aluminum heads from Roy Nacewicz, # B-260, they are not hardened as originally stated in their catalog. They are 18.8, (304) stainless steel which is softer than grade 5. They may have changed that item since my experience with it.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have seen black torx bolts that have what is called "black chrome" on them. No idea what they are plated with, but it is a nice finish, if it will hold up over the long haul.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Kahuna

When I was a kid of 15, I worked at the Pearl Harbor shipyard during the summer.
I was working on submarines there and at home on my Model A. My Model A had all
Monel Allen head cap screws. It looked very cool, I thought. No worry about rust, ha ha
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #18
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I have seen black torx bolts that have what is called "black chrome" on them. No idea what they are plated with, but it is a nice finish, if it will hold up over the long haul.
Its a chromate finish comes black blue green or yellow.
Think green and yellow are the strongest.
Its a zink/cad electroplating and then dipped in chromate.
For additional strenght it can be dipped in sealer after that.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #19
russcc

Correction on the part # for the V8-60 head washers, it's R-260, not B-260. Sorry.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
When I was a kid of 15, I worked at the Pearl Harbor shipyard during the summer.
I was working on submarines there and at home on my Model A. My Model A had all
Monel Allen head cap screws. It looked very cool, I thought. No worry about rust, ha ha
Sounds like you had a "lunchbox" . . . that mysteriously happened to have a few fasteners fall into it!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote