Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default Recovery tank install

HELLO FOLKS. I HAVE A 8BA 276" IN MY RECENTLY PURCHASED 36 TUDOR. I AM NOTICING A LOSS OF WATER IN ABOUT 50 MILES OF LESS THAN A GALLON. ONCE SHE COOLS DOWN THE TUBES ARE EXPOSED. NO OVERHEATING WITH THE ORIGINAL 84 YEAR OLD RADIATOR. BEING NEW TO THE BARN I HAVE READ LOTS ABOUT THE OVERHEATING AND INTERNAL LEAKS; MUCH TO EXPLORE THERE ! HOWEVER THE FIRST AND EASIEST THING TO DO IS TRY A ROUND TUBE TYPE RECOVERY TANK RIGHT TO THE LEFT INSIDE OF THE RADIATOR ABOUT 2" x 19". MY QUESTION IS CAN I HOOK THE TANK ONTO THE BOTTOM OF THE FORD FACTORY OVER FLOW TUBE DOWN LOW. THE TOP OF THE TANK WOULD BE ABOUT EVEN WITH THE TOP OF THE RADIATOR. BY THE WAY I DON'T OVERHEAT WITH 180% ELECTRIC FAN. NO WATER SEEMS TO SPILL OUT WHEN STOPPED. I KNOW THERE A LOT TO STUDY HERE AND AM DOING SO. THANKS FRANK FREDA SANTA BARBARA CA.
frankfreda@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Recovery tank install

First, yes you can hook the overflow tank to the radiator overflow tube at the bottom. It will work if you hook it to the right tube on the tank (the one that feeds from the bottom of the tank, not the one that goes way up inside the tank).

But!!! That is a band aid for another problem. It should not be blowing out enough water to uncover the radiator tubes in 50 miles, - or 500. First check for brown or milky oil on the dipstick, a sign of water leak in the block to the oil areas. Check for little oil blobs on top of the radiator water. Could be a crack or head gasket. A compression check may offer a clue.

If you do not have a pressure cap on the radiator, get one. Four or seven pounds are good. Fourteen is too much. Disconnect the fan and idle the engine until it overheats; then look for radiator, hose, or heater leaks.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:44 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Suspect you are not talking about a 'recovery' system but a 'catch can'.
A recovery system that returns over flow to the radiator needs a recovery pressure cap.

When I installed a system on mine I found that it is necessary to use a late model pressure cap that is designed for 'recovery' systems.
This is an example of how it works.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-22-2020 at 07:25 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
TJ

You indicate that you have an 84 year old radiator. Has it ever been cleaned(rodded out)? Sounds like you could have some partial blockage and the coolant/water is being pushed out the overflow as it cannot pass through the tubes in the radiator like it should. A recovery tank won't help that situation.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

Please don't post in capital leaters, makes it hard to read. If visually impaired Like I am use all small letters. However I'm lucky I have a teat to speech reader.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

To add to TJs post above. Sounds like the overflow is occurring with extended higher speed driving. It may not be heat related at all, as the engine rpms go up so does the rate of the coolant flow in the system. The coolant flow my be exceeding the radiators flow capability. Coolant my be flowing into the top of the radiator faster than it is leaving the bottom of the radiator. This backlog of coolant gets pushed out the overflow. May be time to have the radiator flow tested and/or repaired.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Frank, is that your phaeton on the HAMB?? If so, she's pretty.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
CaliforniaBorn36

I have had my 1936 sedan for about 8 years and it does the same thing. Yours may just be finding its level. The top of my tubes are exposed, but my car runs at about 160 degrees even in the heat with original generator mounted fan. After your drive, carefully remove the radiator cap, look inside the radiator while revving the engine, if you see coolant flowing over the tubes your are probably fine. I run a catch container, but just to keep the coolant from getting all over the frame. I always carry extra water just in case.

DO NOT run a pressure recovery cap on your radiator as it is not designed for that and you could expand the tanks or blow the radiator, (this is what I have read in several tech articles, please research this before you use a pressure cap)
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote