Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Super88

Default Help someone looking for their dad's Model A

While looking through the local Craigslist want ads I ran across an ad from a man looking for his dad's 30 Model A Tudor. Car was sold by a family member without his knowledge two years ago and he would like to locate it. Car was sold in Racine WI and is believed to have been purchased by someone in Franklin WI, both located in the SE corner of the state. If someone is familiar with this car, please give him a call or text. Phone number is listed in his ad.

https://racine.craigslist.org/wan/d/...848850336.html
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Help someone looking for their dad's Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super88 View Post
While looking through the local Craigslist want ads I ran across an ad from a man looking for his dad's 30 Model A Tudor. Car was sold by a family member without his knowledge two years ago and he would like to locate it. Car was sold in Racine WI and is believed to have been purchased by someone in Franklin WI, both located in the SE corner of the state. If someone is familiar with this car, please give him a call or text. Phone number is listed in his ad.

https://racine.craigslist.org/wan/d/...848850336.html

A couple of suggestions - has he tried contacting the Milwaukee and surrounding area Model A clubs? If not found by End of June, put up posters and spread the word at the Sharon Meet 1st weekend of June
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Super88

Good idea. I don't get the impression he's too connected with the Model A groups, so I offered to help. Thanks
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Do not know how valid this is , got it off the Internet, he does have the VIN.

Or perhaps make a visit to the DMV, and ask.

Furnish the VIN number of the vehicle and request a title record from the department. If the vehicle has a license plate from another state, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles of the state and request a title record. You can get the address and telephone number of the DMV of another state from your local DMV
Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Here is another way, looks like he can use the VIN, and the name who ever owned it (His Father?).

How to Find a Car You Previously Owned
  1. Search the VIN. If you still have the vehicle identification number of your previously owned car, you can conduct a vehicle history check by searching the number at the DMV.org website. ...
Old 03-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Do not know how valid this is , got it off the Internet, he does have the VIN.

Or perhaps make a visit to the DMV, and ask.

Furnish the VIN number of the vehicle and request a title record from the department. If the vehicle has a license plate from another state, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles of the state and request a title record. You can get the address and telephone number of the DMV of another state from your local DMV
If the car made it's way into Illinois, they won't help you anymore. Only the Ill. State Police can run a VIN check today and it better be for a good reason.

I found this out about a year ago. 'Privacy' they told me they won't release the info to the public. Somebody must have sued or something similar.

30 years ago I ran an inquiry on another Ford I had, and they sent me copies of all the titles since the car was sold new up until I owned it. Cost 4 bucks. Ah, the good old days
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
BillCNC

The DMV would notify the person your trying to contact and ask them if they would like to meet you, If not, your out of luck. Been there, done that. They wont tell you for obvious security reasons.

Sounds like a stolen car case if the car was sold without the owners permission.
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
The DMV would notify the person your trying to contact and ask them if they would like to meet you, If not, your out of luck. Been there, done that. They wont tell you for obvious security reasons.

Sounds like a stolen car case if the car was sold without the owners permission.

As an FYI, the Craigslist Ad indicates it is not stolen, the guy sold it to a family member, then the family member sold it with saying anything.

"EMERGENCY -CAR SOLD TO A FAMILY MEMBER AND THEY SOLD IT WITHOUT CONSULTING ME ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. THIS CAR HAS BEEN IN THE FAMILY OVER 40 YEARS"

Just want to make sure this does not morph into something it isn't.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #9
Chuck Dempsey

Good call, PU. Selling cars to someone with 'strings attached' seldom works out......
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote