Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
Will D

Default C59A bearings questions

Hey guys, I've got another thread going "Engine removal '38 deuxe" but figured I would start a new thread for this for clarity.

Being the C59A crank has x2 oil holes on the crank rod journal, and from what I'm seeing for spec comparison with 8ba, the numbers are the same. Is there any reason I can't use 8ba rod bearings instead of 59a full floater bearings?

I know the 59a crank only has one oil hole in the center of the crank rod journal and need the full floaters for proper lubrication.

Main reason being I would like to do the repair/recondition on my own. With lack of experience and from what I know about full floating bearings it is a little more expensive of a risk than I would like to take at this time. Just looking at all options at this point.

Will
Old 02-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
mike in tucson

Default Re: C59A bearings questions

How does one oil hole in the crank get lube to two independent sets of bearings on the rods?
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Since the crank has dual oil-holes, you should be fine running the later rods and insert bearings (assuming the journal sizes match). I've not ran a C59A crank - so I'm a bit out on a limb.

Make sure you consider the journal conditions and bearing clearances. Have the crank checked out first to see whether or not it needs a regrind.

Don't have it reground until AFTER you've had the rods reconditioned and have the new undersize bearings in your hand. The same goes for the mains - I typically buy the next undersize main bearings and take the block and new bearings to the machinist before I allow them to regrind the crank. It is important to install the bearings and determine the clearances - before grinding the crank (in my opinion).

Have the machinist grind the crank to match your specific rods and bearings - that way you'll get exactly the right clearances you need. I'd go for about .00175 to .002 rod journal clearance for a street engine. On the mains - shoot for .002 to .0025.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in tucson View Post
How does one oil hole in the crank get lube to two independent sets of bearings on the rods?
It doesn't, very well. Stock 59a came with shared floating bearings (×2 rod on 1 bearing) with single oil hole on crank rod journal. Stock C59a (Canadian 59a) came with shared floating bearings (×2 rod on 1 bearing) but x2 oil hole on crank rod journal. Both 59a and c59a floating bearings have x2 holes.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
Will D

Thank you Bored&Stroked, great advice.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
Thank you Bored&Stroked, great advice.
No problem. I used to have to buy multiple sets of bearings to get the clearances the way I wanted them. I got tired of that crap and decided to have the machine shop grind the crank to exactly what I had - instead of trying to find bearings for a crank that had already been ground.

We don't have the luxury of being able to tune the bearing clearances by 1/2 shells, .009 under bearings, etc - like we do on many modern engines - so the above method has proven to be the best.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The C69A crank ran non floater con rod bearing shells since it was the first to do so. Someone may have put a C69 crank in a C59. Canada always did thing different. The problem with the C69 was the odd main bearings that are hard to source these days. If it has two oil holes then 8BA rods & bearings can be used. Floaters can also be used.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #8
Brian

Rotor, C69A main bearings are the regular 81A 6331/6333 as used on all V8's 39-49.