Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
nathanmac

Default Rear springs 35-40

Does anyone know a link which will help me find out the differences between rear springs between 1935-40 (number of leaves, widths and bush sizes)? May need a replacement for my pickup so just need to know what to look out for. Thanks.
nathanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: Rear springs 35-40

Have you tried the Green book?
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
41PICUP

Try Posies, that's were I got springs for my 41.
41PICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
nathanmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Have you tried the Green book?
Clem
Hi, sorry I'm a bit of newbie to early Ford V8's and finding my feet as far as info goes - I've seen reference to the Green Book on here but not sure what it is or where to get one? Does it list parts numbers by year and model?

Appreciate the advice, cheers.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Clem Clement

Reproes are available thru Mac's and others. I got mine at a car show for $20. It contins partrs listing and drawings for Model A's and ev-8's. You can't live without this book. BUT it is fraught with error, so study it and ask lots of questions.
clem
Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
nathanmac

I'll probably be looking for an original one as freight from the US will be high for something like that. I'm still to decide whether to replace mine or not, but if a second hand one comes up I don't want to buy something that doesn't fit.

I would guess that they are all the same with the possible exception of the eyes and number of leaves, but I've been wrong once or twice before apparently!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
OLD...BILL

Nat; your rear spring should be 2.25 wide. 41" from eye to eye, and have 10 leafs, and maybe 11 for a pickup, I am looking at my 39 fordor sedane, and the eye hole is 3/4 dia...hope this helps. there are several pickup guys here and will jump in at anytime, hee,hee there area little slow on the pickup...tee.tee.eee.... OLD...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
nathanmac

Cheers Old Bill, that's the info I'm after - I'd only buy a used spring if I could measure it up for myself and it might be a while before I take the one apart that I have to measure and compare.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
jerry grayson

The "Green Book" that is being referenced here is the 28-48 Ford chassis parts and accessories catalogue and has a green cover, sometimes orange. It is about 800 pages and covers your commercial pickup. You will find a list that covers all the leaves in your spring. The rear spring in a pickup has 14 and sometimes 15 leaves.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Ken Crans

Nate,You got any good spring shops over there, they should be able to make one from your pattern,when a repop won't do. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
kiwitony

Hi Nathan,pm me your ph no and I'll give you a call,I've had my 37 pickup 34years so know a bit about these trucks.cheers Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
rotorwrench

THe old 28 to 48 Chassis parts book is now available on CD. Much easier to ship but you would need a lap top to drag it out to the shop with you.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Clem Clement

Nathanmac,
what your is your pickup? We can look up the specks in the Green Book for ya.
clem
Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #14
nathanmac

Hey thanks for all the info here, much appreciated. As far as the rear spring in my pickup goes (it's a 41), it looks pretty worn and thin on the ends of the leaves, so probably worth replacing if I can find a better one. I'm pretty confident there will be something around without having to get one made, but I'm not in a huge hurry - I've slowly been working through some of the little things as I sort out what's there and what's missing on this project.

Got a couple of great contacts down here that have been like gold when it comes to advice - I was born about 24 years after the last flathead V8 rolled off the assembly line, so I'm short on experience but big on enthusiasm. I've worked on Model A's a fair bit but stoked to have a V8 pickup finally. It's just the details and differences between models I haven't read up on.

I'm hoping to be able to stop in for a garage tour just north of here where a 41 pickup is being restored at the moment to make a few notes and take a few photos which will help as I progress - I'm going to need it if I'm going to succeed with the jigsaw puzzle I have in the garage!

Might have to try and get a CD copy of the Green Book - about the only reference I have is 'Ford V8 Cars and Trucks' by Victor Page, printed in 1946. It's a bit vague on detail in places but I remember reading it to death when I was a kid.

Will send you a message Kiwitony, that's a nice looking 37. I remeber driving down from Christchurch in about 1990 and dad hauled on the brakes in our Mk1 Zodiac because he spotted a green 37 pickup sticking out of a garage on a farm. We stopped in and the old guy had the motor out of it, but wouldn't sell the pickup no matter what - I wonder where it ended up sometimes.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
Ken Crans

Nate, That GreenBook Is excellent info on these trucks. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #16
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmac View Post
As far as the rear spring in my pickup goes (it's a 41), it looks pretty worn and thin on the ends of the leaves, so probably worth replacing if I can find a better one. .
The stock original springs have rounded tapered ends that get thinner towards the end. I doubt if you would be able to look at one and say it is worn and thin, that's just the way they look originally. The way to judge if you need a new spring is if you have cracked leaves or the spring won't support the vehicle.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #17
Terry,OH

For the 41 PU the green parts book list several rear springs, 78-5560-D is 14 leaf without a cover, 01A-5560-G is also 14 leaf but it is covered, 01A-5560-H is 15 leaf and was no longer supplied by Ford and replaced by the 01A5560-G. The shipping on one of these would be rather high since they weigh nearly 80#. I note your city as the same as Burt Munro, is there any tribute to him there?
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
nathanmac

Hi Scott and Terry, thanks for that info and those numbers - there is no cover on the spring, I'll try and count the leaves in place next time I'm out in the garage. Maybe it isn't too bad if the leaves are supposed to be thinner towards the end - it just looked to me to be the sign of a truck that's done a heap of work in it's time!

Yes Burt Munro hailed from down here, and a couple of dad's friends who were into motorbikes knew him way back. Last time I went to the local museum there was a large exhibit of Burt Munro memorabilia there, and every November there is a weekend of motorbike racing (including a beach race and street race at Wyndham) which attracts people from around the world.

I believe one of the original Munro pistons has just been auctioned off (might still be running?) as a benefit for the Canterbury earthquake fund.

I think everyone knows about Inverrrrcarrrgil (I spelled it with one L to save ink) now since The World's Fastest Indian put us on the map!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
Scott H

Pretty sure this is how a normal spring looks, these are on the back of a 38:
P1060010 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

P1110011 (640x480).jpg
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmac View Post
Hi Scott and Terry, thanks for that info and those numbers - there is no cover on the spring, I'll try and count the leaves in place next time I'm out in the garage. Maybe it isn't too bad if the leaves are supposed to be thinner towards the end - it just looked to me to be the sign of a truck that's done a heap of work in it's time!

Yes Burt Munro hailed from down here, and a couple of dad's friends who were into motorbikes knew him way back. Last time I went to the local museum there was a large exhibit of Burt Munro memorabilia there, and every November there is a weekend of motorbike racing (including a beach race and street race at Wyndham) which attracts people from around the world.

I believe one of the original Munro pistons has just been auctioned off (might still be running?) as a benefit for the Canterbury earthquake fund.

I think everyone knows about Inverrrrcarrrgil (I spelled it with one L to save ink) now since The World's Fastest Indian put us on the map!
The commercial springs did not have a cover. The thing to look at is do the leaves show any wear on the next leaf at the end . If so, the spring needs to be taken apart and the wear ground smooth.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote