Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Art Newland

Default my generator

I've only owned my coupe for a couple of months, so I'm still getting to know her. I'd noticed the charging current being high, pegging the ammeter while driving at speed. So I did a little searching here at the Barn and found out about the "movable" third brush. I removed the cover adjusted the position of the brush, and now I show 11-12 amps at 40-45 mph. I was reading another thread and 10 amps was mentioned as being a relativity high charging current. What is considered a proper charge current for daylight driving? Most of my outings are 7-10 miles.
Question #2 is this... my generator doesn't look like what I see in the pictures on these forums. I realize I don't have a stock cut-out, mine must be one of the solid-state versions that are out there. Most of what I see have an insulated terminal coming through the case that connects directly to the cut-out. Mine has two wires coming through the case. Is this just an older/newer version? Or something entirely wrong? Off a tractor maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160318_152120.jpg (56.3 KB, 94 views)
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: my generator

That is a later generator.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, as Bob said, your generator is post Model A production. If you had a later Ford with a radio, then the generator came with a voltage regulator and a cutout built as a 2 unit voltage regulator. Since the controlled field wire doesn't have a regulator coil to control the voltage, you just ground it, as shown in your picture.

I haven't seen a cutout like your's, so I can't comment on it, but for daytime driving I think 2 to 3 amps is fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
jfreddie

I've found the voltage regulator unit sold by Snyders works very well. It replaces the cutout and keeps the battery charged without overcharging either day or night.
As Tom says, have to ground the field wire to the case.
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Seriously ...... at first glance ........... I thought this post was going to be similar to the "MY PILLOW" advertisement that we see on TV so often. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Seriously ...... at first glance ........... I thought this post was going to be similar to the "MY PILLOW" advertisement that we see on TV so often. LOL
If you order today, I'll throw in another generator question at no extra charge!
(Pun inteded!
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Few notice in the the opening statement of the ad where he states that he is the "Inventure" of My Pillow, or something like that ........ enough to make someone look for another brand of pillow.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote