Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
david.skinner

Default newbee - 36 Pickup radiator mod question

Hello, Dave from Wellington NZ. My wife has just bought a 36 Pickup to replace her SL500. I'm quite thrilled with it. Paint, woodwork, upholstery is very good. Mechanically, my first impression is tidy but not at the standard I would like. While my wife is a car girl, I am a motorcycle fan and have strip restored a number of Japanese race oriented motorcycles, mainly 80s & 90s but quite hi tech so the Pickup is new ground for me and I would like some guidance.

On a bit of a side note, I am having trouble identifying the motor. It has 24 stud heads with centre cooling outlets. One head clearly shows made in Canada so to me maybe a C69A but the other head appears to have C81T-6050 stamped in it but its a bit hard to tell. - advice appreciated.

Anyway my first question is that it has been leaking coolant - actually I think it may have been overflowing coolant rather than an actual leak. I had to put 7Litres (~7 Quarts for my US friends) in it yesterday which was a bit frightening but I don't know how much was in it when we got it before we drove it and it has been out on the highway. I then left the radiator cap off and ran the engine for around 1/2 hr. I could see no leaks and the LH head measured 160F while the RH head measured 180F using my IR thermometer (usually used for setting bike tyre pressures on racetracks). All nicely stable.

My first thought after reading many threads is to pressurise the cooling system gently and use the well mentioned Skip's 3lb overflow hose relief valve and see how that goes in terms of coolant from now on. However I can't find the appropriate threads to find Skip or for what needs to be done to the cap and its socket to allow it to be pressurised.

So in short:
1. Am I doing the right thing at this stage of ownership?
2. if so, could you point me in the right direction.

regards
David.
david.skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
texas webb

Default Re: newbee - 36 Pickup radiator mod question

Welcome to Fordbarn David.If those temps are correct that's good.What is the radiator cap pressure rating?4lbs is all that's needed.For Skip....
wwwfordcollector.com.Wife is a smart lady.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
david.skinner

Many thanks. The radiator cap does not appear to be a pressure cap - i.e no spring and internal seal.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
kiwitony

It won't be a pressure cap if it's still the original radiator. The water will spew out untill it finds the right level usually about an inch from the top,don't overfill, once you get use to the car you will get to know the level. As to engine I.D there may be a number on the block just above the water pump or on top of the bell housing if you can see there. What fan do you have? generator mounted or one driven of the front crankshaft pully up to a fan mounted onto the inlet manifold where the generator bolts on. early motors a pencil will sit on a lip on the block were the timing cover bolts on just below the big generator mounting stud. Temps are fine. We all love pictures on here and welcome to another kiwi. Cheers Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:51 AM   #5
Scott H in Wheaton

David,
Don't go looking for trouble! Your radiator is fine the way it is operating, no need to start playing with it.
Congrats on having such a cool wife and getting a '36 pickup in your life.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Drain down the coolant enough to see the tops of the tubes-- look to see if the tubes are clogged, it could be many are clogged, the 36 I have 1/2 of the ones I could see we're clogged
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.skinner View Post
Many thanks. The radiator cap does not appear to be a pressure cap - i.e no spring and internal seal.
If the over flow tube comes out from the radiator filler neck you can use a pressure cap as long as there is a washer like seat down at the bottom. If the over flow tube comes off the top of the radiator you need Skips 4 lb valve. To install you slip a short rubber hose on the bottom end of the over flow tube. With the pressure cap or valve fill the coolant up into the filler neck more coolant and more flow equals better cooling. The coolant needs to be forced through the 144 radiator tubes. Due to the number and length of the tubes they become a restriction which causes the water to back out the over flow. With the valve you need to replace the rubber seal in the cap or the cap will leak. One picture shows the 4 lb valve installation and the other shows my 39 which had the over flow from the top of the tank. The filler neck had the bottom washer like seat and I soldered an over flow tube in the neck. and soldered the tube at the top of the tank shut. Be careful the new tube don't hit the pressure cap. Most old Ford pressure caps don't hit good down on the bottom. As shown in the second picture I added the rubber washer. If it don't seat and seal at the bottom it's only a regular radiator cap, not a pressure cap. Don't get the rubber to thick or it will raise the release pressure making it an 8 lb or higher cap. G.M.

I would like to add, take notice of how clean and shiny the radiator tubes are in the 39. This wasn't like this 30 years ago. I didn't have the radiator cleaned but 15 years ago installed Skips high flow turbine impeller pumps and a large bottle of Barr's heavy duty stop leak. This was the type with aluminum flakes in it. The combination of double the water flowing through the radiator tubes and the flakes polished the tubes as far down in them as I can see. I showed my radiator guy and he said he never saw anything like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRESSURE VALVE 2.jpg (18.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (35.3 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by G.M.; 05-06-2015 at 01:56 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
david.skinner

Thanks everyone - The coolant issue seems to have stabilised so I can work quietly on that in the background but no further sign of overheating. Some photos attached (if I can work out how.) Tony - there does appear to be a ledge about 1cm wide below the generator. The fan is generator mounted and appears to be new. I cant find any stamps below the (2?) water pumps but there is an upside down 87 ? on the RHS just in front of where the rh head is. All advice appreciated. Also thank you very much for the warm welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0607 2.JPG (47.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0608.JPG (131.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.JPG (155.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0610.JPG (160.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0612.JPG (194.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
Snouts out

It has a car front end.Is that the way they were made down there ? I like it.
Snouts out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
Mike P

That's a beaut! It looks very different than my '36 for sure! Are the doors homemade?
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 AM   #11
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Nice Pick up .This appears to be a colonial cab pick up ,factory built on a Roadster cowl and dash, with the car front it was a std product . Pressure Radiator cap ,I saw one recently that fitted on a 37 neck with no seat needed ,not sure who makes them ,4 1lb .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:47 AM   #12
Snouts out

The engine is a 24 stud,not original.What's the distribter look like(dizzy)?
Snouts out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:44 AM   #13
david.skinner

Distributor is flat (crab?) but cant see any wiring loom off it.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
blucar

looking at the pix you attached, I note that the generator/fan appears to be typical of a gen/fan combo that was used trough '39. If the generator is a two brush unit with a regulator, then it is a '39. Generators prior to '39 are three brush with a "shunt/cut-out", generally sitting on top of the generator.
I also noted that the exhaust manifold is not the '35-36 "log" type.
In time you are probably going to find the the engine originally was either a commercial engine, i.e. truck or a stationary unit of some kind.
The loss of coolant is very common in the pre-pressurized systems. One way to stop the loss of coolant is to leave the coolant level down about 1" below the filler neck. If you can find a pressure cap of about 4lb's that will fit the radiator neck, then you can add an overflow tank "coolant recovery", attached to the overflow tube, which will capture the expanded coolant and return same to the radiator when the system cools down. The coolant recovery tank will also eliminate air entrainment in the cooling system and thereby make the system more efficient.
Neat looking truck.. The application of car front ends on '36 Ford pickups has become quite common here in the states with the Street Rod types. The cab on your truck is very unusual..
Does the truck have hydraulic brakes?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
Mike in AZ

welcome to the "Barn....great looking truck...definitely different from '36 pickup here....got more pics??....lol...great buy by your wife....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #16
blucar

David S.. Carefully reviewing the pix of the engine compartment I noted what appears to be a "COPPER" fuel line from the pump to the carb. Copper fuel and/or brake lines are not a good idea, the copper will break from fatigue, where-as steel will not.
It would appear that the rear fenders on the truck could possibly be '36 Ford passenger car, modified to fit the slab sided bed.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #17
david.skinner

Thank you Bill - I will replace it. its ugly as well. What do most people use? flexible fuel line (which I have plenty of) or a formed steel line which I could get made? Also do you know if there are any problems running the line down the carb stalk and along the top of the engine to the (electric) fuel pump and regulator. e.g. vapour lock problems.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:10 AM   #18
Talkwrench

Its usually hard line everywhere just the jump from the firewall to the fuel pump [or where it should be]. Try to keep it as high as practical to close to the motor and you will have problems. Oz and NZ don't seem to have the vapour lock problems. SO where is your electric pump mounted?

Also if your cooling system is ok [ looks like you may have a modern core in there] you will not need to pressurise anything, in a tank your size it will just sit about 3/4" from the top. Your in the land of the long white cloud not the Gibson desert you should be ok..
Old 05-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #19
Jeff/Illinois

Sharp truck David!! Long live the '36 Ford pickup!! Love it!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:28 AM   #20
Graeme / New Zealand

David I have copper fuel line on my car and it is fine, there has been a lot of debate over the years on the rights and wrongs of this stuff on this and the old Fordbarn. I would not change it for the sake of it but make sure you have a flexible hose between the fuel pump and where it passes the clamp on the firewall. Nice truck by the way . Perhaps I'll see it around as I'm in Lower Hutt

I had a problem with my radiator frothing away. I tipped some of that radiator cleaner in the system, ran it for a while then flushed it. You should of seen all the crap that came out.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote