Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
TinCup

Exclamation Rear Spring Center Bolt

The rear spring center bolt is loose on my coupe and is what I suspect is causing it to stay tilted left when I get out of the vehicle. Of course I give the old push up on the driver window opening to straighten it out but I had someone do it while I was under the car and the center bolt is definately loose.

Can I set the car level and then tighten this bolt from the bottom? Without a way to get to the top of the bolt I don't see how I can keep it from turning. I would like to not have to pull the rear end out for this if I can help it.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Aerocraft

Default Re: Rear Spring Center Bolt

If the bolt is an original square headed bolt, there is the possibility that it won't turn when you turn the nut. Try tightening the nut and see what happens. If the nut is frozen to the bolt, be careful for, if the bolt shears, then you will have to lift the frame up off of the spring in order to get at it. Gar Williams

Last edited by Aerocraft; 11-22-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The bolt head is square and should be setting in a square hole in the rear crossmember, so you don't need to use a wrench on it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
pat in Santa Cruz

The center bolt does not really hold the spring, it just serves to hold it until its clamped in position and to center it. The four large nuts , U bolts over the cross member and spring bottom plates actually do the holding. Some repro center bolts have a round head which allows the spring to shift in the locating hole. Some locating holes have been worn excessively so the spring cannot be accurately centered. When the spring is loose in the cross member, the shifting can shear the center bolt. If the center bolt is sheared off, it will seem loose and will not tighten and the spring leaves will shift. There are many possible causes for a leaning car. The rear spring can certainly be one of them, but its more commonly a tired front spring.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Dick Deegan

Give it a couple of short shots with an impact gun. The bolt head won't turn. Don't overtighten or you run the risk of shearing the bolt.

I had to do this on my coupe when putting the rear spring back together after removing a couple of leaves.

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
V4F

i would be carefull or youll be taking the spring out . if the nut will turn ez , then locktite & tighten (blue locktite) . if the nut doesnt want to turn ez , soak it in penatrating oil untill it does . if you brake it , you get to pull the spring ... steve
Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Ron in Quincy

Sounds to me like the 4 mounting bolts have not been torqued to 90 lbs; if left loose the spring will shift back and forth in the cross member giving the results you describe. Hopefully you have original u-bolts, clamps, and nuts ?

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
TinCup

I do but couldnt tell you if they meet torque.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
J Franklin

Bring the clamp bolts tight Ford didn't specify torque.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Ron in Quincy

As I recall, somewhere in the Indianapolis Letters it recommends the dealers check the tightness of the front and rear spring mounting bolts when a new vehicle is brought in for service.
You are correct, it doesn't call for a specific torque; I have always used at least 90 lbs of torque. The original U-bolts and nuts will take this amount of torque; I would be cautious if using replacement bolts and nuts as some of them are what I call butter bolts and nuts.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote