Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2022, 01:23 AM   #41
alexiskai

Default Re: 1931 Phaeton how many were made and how many exist today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told years ago by old-timers in the hobby that long after the Model A was no longer a new car, Los Angeles newspapers bought up all the used DeLuxe Phaetons they could find. They removed the top assembly, back seat and passenger's seat and then welded the doors shut. By that time, the wooden framework inside the body was old and rotting, so the doors wouldn't stay closed. (Always a poor design and weak place in DeLuxe Phaetons) Then newspaper bundles were piled into the "bathtub" car and dropped off at various newsstands around town. It was cheaper to do that than to use heavy trucks. Because a great number of DeLuxe Phaetons had originally been delivered in Southern California due to the nice year-round weather, there was no shortage of old, used Model A's of this body style to buy very cheaply. Lord only knows what happened to these heavily-modified DeLuxe Phaetons after they had completely worn out performing their final service to mankind! Has anyone here ever seen one of these welded-up Phaetons?
Can anyone verify whether this history is true or is it just another urban legend? I hope it can't be debunked because it makes a great Model A story!
Marshall, late 1931 DeLuxe Phaeton, late 1931 (sad) Standard Phaeton, 1928 Phaeton
Hi Marshall, I found this in The Restorer, Jul '92, p. 33:

Quote:
In 1952, when the Los Angeles Herald Examiner finally bought all new Dodge trucks to replace their aging fleet of Model A Ford Phaeton newspaper delivery cars, Burger was able to take his pick of the tired A's... This Ford had been used for throwing out bundles of papers and so the
rear seat was long gone. A much lower plywood platform was where the seat had been, which facilitated hauling more papers.
However, the accompanying photo clearly shows a standard phaeton, not the deluxe (4 doors, rear spare). The story makes more sense to me if the newspaper was buying standard phaetons – why pay more for the deluxe when the standard would work just as well?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #42
Marshall V. Daut

Alexiskai -
Thanks for the verification that at least part of my narrative is correct. I wonder, though, if by the time the newspaper people were buying up all those old, used Model A Ford phaetons whether anyone paid any attention to the difference between a DeLuxe and a Standard Phaeton, in terms of price or body style? The people further down the food chain who were put in charge of buying used vehicles for corner newsstand deliveries probably just bought any Model A phaeton they could find in the area. I can't imagine that between the late 1930's and the middle 1950's that there was much of a price differential between the two body styles. Who knew and who cared back then? The DeLuxe Phaeton would have been preferable in practical terms because there was no rigid front seat assembly to take up valuable newspaper space. More newspaper bundles could be piled into a Deluxe Phaeton than into a four-door Standard Phaeton (including 1928-1929 phaetons). Piling newspaper bundles on the front seat of a four-door phaeton would have been asking for trouble if the stacks tipped over and struck the driver. That's why my suspicion is that the two-door phaetons were preferred and why this story always mentions DeLuxe Phaetons. But a phaeton was a phaeton back then and that's probably why four-door phaetons were also scooped up in the sweep for Model A phaetons, hence the photo you cite.
Until the middle 1950's when people began rediscovering the charm of Model A Fords and during WWII's scrap drives, Model A's were darned near worthless "old cars" that only poor people or teenagers drove. They could still be bought for $25-$50 in the early 1950's - if the battery and tires were good. Body style was fairly irrelevant and didn't affect the price much, according to older folks I knew back in the 1960's who told me about their experiences with Model A Fords. Once the Model A had been rediscovered by the restoration crowd, that's when prices jumped up and selectivity of body styles became important. None of this would have affected the Los Angeles newspaper people, however, because by that time, they had replaced their aging Model A's with delivery trucks, as the article quoted states.
Anyway, it's nice to know that this is one urban legend that has at least a shred of truth to it.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #43
alexiskai

Right, it would make sense if they just bought all the phaetons indiscriminately.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #44
Chris in WNC

a little bit of subject creep here, but I like the direction it creeped......
Old 02-04-2024, 09:05 AM   #45
condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 a View Post
I have a 1931 2 door Phaeton and also a 1931 standard 4 door phaeton
Which of the two is rarer
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:44 AM   #46
ronn

two door by far...................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:05 PM   #47
31a

I have a 31 4dr help me understand the difference between the deluxe and the standard phaeton I have too many cars and this one may have to go.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:22 PM   #48
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31a View Post
I have a 31 4dr help me understand the difference between the deluxe and the standard phaeton I have too many cars and this one may have to go.
The Deluxe is a 2 door and the standard is a 4 door.